Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton Athletic SOLD for £14m to 'Standard Liege'

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Surely Charlton have far more earning potential than standard liege. A guy enjoying running a football club and wanting something higher profile?

If Premier League-able maybe, but Standard Liege are a Champions League side nowadays. By all accounts the guy isn't interested in football as a sport just a business, and is playing some weird long game (the 4th placed in Spanish 2nd div Madrid side he is currently trying to buy being a case in point). Dunno, but how happy would you be if you were owned by someone with five other football clubs in four other European countries and looking for more? From a Charlton perspective at least he will presumably try to loan us enough players from his other sides to keep us from dropping back to L1 this season. Will only know his true intentions in the summer I guess...

D

Deleted member 22389

Good luck, hopefully Brighton will be the only club left in this country that has a real supporter as their owner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good luck, hopefully Brighton will be the only club left in this country that has a real supporter as their owner.

There can't be that many left. Bristol City definitely do in Steve Lansdowne (a very rich man). Whilst Pompey, as we know, are owned by the Greatest Fans In The World.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There can't be that many left. Bristol City definitely do in Steve Lansdowne (a very rich man). Whilst Pompey, as we know, are owned by the Greatest Fans In The World.

Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough is the obvious one.

Bill Kenwright at Everton (though not sure he still owns it all?)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So the majority of clubs in the 2015/16 Championship - I make it c. 14/15 - will have at least one of the following applicable to them:

1. Be receiving significant parachute payments.
2. Be the beneficiary of "favourable" loan deals from sister clubs across Europe.
3. Be completely flouting FFP.
4. Be owned / controlled by a crook.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So the majority of clubs in the 2015/16 Championship - I make it c. 14/15 - will have at least one of the following applicable to them:

4. Be owned / controlled by a crook.

If you're waching Messrs Bloom and Barber, we mods don't agree with this statement! #ConsultsLawyer

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough is the obvious one.

Bill Kenwright at Everton (though not sure he still owns it all?)

Funnily enough- on the overseas owners debate- I've just read on the BBC website that Northampton Town are about to be taken over by a consortium of Indian businessmen.

I bet Indian kids dream of owning Northampton Town when growing up in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here