Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway leaves 'by mutual consent'

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I am not prepared to accept this treatment of Charlie until the club explain why he has been sacked,mutual agreement can often mean resign today or be sacked tomorrow.
Thanking a loyal member of staff for his past efforts then disposing of him could well influence others joining the club.
Wishing you all the best in the future Charlie.
If you're not prepared to accept it, then you're just going to have to get over it.
Coaches leave teams all the time when new managers are installed. Crickey, even Manchester United have just had a major clearout.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am not prepared to accept this treatment of Charlie until the club explain why he has been sacked,mutual agreement can often mean resign today or be sacked tomorrow.
Thanking a loyal member of staff for his past efforts then disposing of him could well influence others joining the club.

then you're in for a long wait. Why would the club explain why he's been sacked when he hasn't? the matter is closed.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Such a shame. One of the nicest and funniest blokes I've ever met.

Totally agree an amazing chap in my opinion, will never forget the night after the Exeter game (he might) when I bought him a beer and chewed his ear for the night. Fantastic funny chap, my daughter always made a bee line for him at Christmas parties and to top it off, a loyal Albion servant. Thanks Charlie!!!!

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Bye Charlie thanks for all the good times and the jokes over the years

01020-33.jpg

http://www.albionalbum.co.uk/teams/chesterfield/01_05_2001/

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Randomly spoke to a nice man waiting for a pint in Shepherds Bush tonight. He was married to one of Charlie's relatives and told me the news.

Not the first time I've spoken to one of his relatives in the area.

Not surprised, but I will always judge him for his courage to tell the media about his illiteracy in order to promote the clubs literacy programme.

A special man and I wish him all the best.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

Somebody better phone Paul Barber up right away and tell him Westdene Wonder on NSC isn't prepared to accept it. I'm sure they'll give an explanation right away.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Maybe the club are being kinder to him due to his long service, it could be he was guilty of something that was worthy of dismissal but the club allowed him to go quietly.
Offering him the mutual consent" option for him to maintain some respect rather than disclosing what actually happened to the world and not sacking him.

If what I and others have heard is true about why he was suspended, then that would make a lot of sense.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Club made a big deal out of saying that they were dealing will all three of the suspended management team by following UK employment law.

Charlie was dealt with through a disciplinary procedure, which has now concluded with NO finding that any alleged offence warranted dismissal. On the "innocent until proved guilty" principle that applies as much to employment law as any other legal process, Charlie is innocent.

The Club should say so.

I don't agree. And this has nothing to do with Poogate, nothing at all.

But the allegations could not be legally proven, not enough to terminate his employment. This was agreed by both sides and a mutual agreement was made which meant neither side lost face nor reputation. I think we all know what he was accused of, and how difficult it is to prove in the eyes of the law. We didn't prove it, but have parted company. I think this is the best outcome.

We all love Charlie, he'll be back in the game before long.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I don't agree. This has nothing to do with Poogate, nothing at all.

But the allegations could not be legally proven, not enough to terminate his employment. This was agreed by both sides and a mutual agreement was made which meant neither side lost face nor reputation. I think we all know what he was accused of, and how difficult it is to prove in the eyes of the law. We didn't prove it, but have parted company. I think this is the best outcome.

You've said a couple of times that you think you know what he was suspended for. Please share...........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You've said a couple of times that you think you know what he was suspended for. Please share...........

No. It isn't public record. There are two separate charges, and I think a bit of reading will reveal what they were. I know of one, the other I have read about on here. The one I know about, for a fact, is what I speak of. I do not know what was said, obviously, but I do know what one of the charges was and I am reliably informed they simply couldn't prove it. Allegedly, a LOT of people were interviewed about it but they couldn't legally come to a conclusion.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Just read this. Always will Remember Charlie as someone who who gave his everything for the club. Sad it ended this way, but with a total absence of information we are playing blind here. Good luck Charlie in whatever you do, thank you for all you have done for us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't agree. And this has nothing to do with Poogate, nothing at all.

If they can't prove guilt then he should be assumed innocent, no? All through the process people have been talking about suspension being a neutral act, that it is process. An allegation made, Charlie suspended pending an investigation, the investigation into Charlie proves nothing, ergo, he is innocent, suspension lifted, the club can hold its head high and proudly trump following procedure, and accepting a basic tenet of law in this country. Why do they need to not admit the investigation was unable to prove he was guilty to save face? It's not like they have been arrogantly stating in public they know his guilt and will prove it and then everyone will know they were right. They've been very professional about everything with respect to Charlie.

Did they lose face over taricco's suspension being lifted?

Dandyman

In London village.
If, for example, someone was agreed to be guilty of a dismissable offence (e.g. because the evidence was overwhelming and no defence was possible), the employer might nevertheless agree not to dismiss that person (e.g. because they didn't want media coverage of the details of the offence), and strike a deal with the employee that they could leave "by mutual consent" on condition that they observe a compromise agreement to no publicity. That is entirely in line with English employment law.

Correct. The wording of the club statement is also very much in keeping with the "agreed reference" understanding that I would expect to accompany a Settlement Agreement.

Dandyman

In London village.
If they can't prove guilt then he should be assumed innocent, no? All through the process people have been talking about suspension being a neutral act, that it is process. An allegation made, Charlie suspended pending an investigation, the investigation into Charlie proves nothing, ergo, he is innocent, suspension lifted, the club can hold its head high and proudly trump following procedure, and accepting a basic tenet of law in this country. Why do they need to not admit the investigation was unable to prove he was guilty to save face? It's not like they have been arrogantly stating in public they know his guilt and will prove it and then everyone will know they were right. They've been very professional about everything with respect to Charlie.

Did they lose face over taricco's suspension being lifted?

Correct, again - There has been no hearing and no consideration of guilt or innocence. However it is clear that any future working relationship was not going to be possible and the club and Charlie's advisers have agreed an exit strategy that allows him dignity (and I expect a payment) and allows the club to move on. All of this is fairly standard in organisations that I have worked for.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Gutted to see Charlie go. The new management team meant this was always likely I suppose - investigation or not.
But for such a loyal and popular employee of the club to be denied his testimonial - within his testimonial year too - is disgusting. I really hope he gets his special day and a proper send off one day. And let's not forget that he was due to give half the proceeds of his testimonial to Albion in the Community.

Good luck and thanks Charlie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here