Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Auction prize advice!

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Not sure if anyone can help with a bit of advice! I recently held a very successful Charity Auction in May this year and one of the auction prizes offered was a designer dress from a designer in London. At the auction people bidded and in the end we had a winner for the prize who paid us in cash. this has been paid in to the charity now but we are still yet to receive the item from the person who had said he would supply it. (My error for auctioning an item before it was received, but it could not be ordered as we would not have had the specific sizes)

Since then the person who originally won the prize has quite rightly so said he wants his money back as he had not received the item. I have made contact with the person from the company by phone and e-mail and explained the circumstances.

I then explained the situation and said I would refund the gentleman his money he paid for the item if i received the dress so that i could recoup the money effectively me being the winner of that prize in the charity auction!

He agreed and I supplied him with size details for the dress and he said he was going to send it in September as they were moving offices. I have e-mail proof of this!

Like a minefield where the f*** do I stand legally can I take action against the company for failing to provide the item or is this different as its a charity item, good will and all that! Can't find any advice re-this, or failing that I take it on the chin and give him his money back leaving me out of pocket. :smile:

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I take it back, another e-mail with the words legal advice in it seem to have done the trick and i have received a reply straight away!

Never do a charity auction without having the prize or confirmation in writing in your hand!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here