May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- Cancer Research
- Alzheimers Society
- REMF
- Help For Heroes

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Government control over independent charities would be disastrous.

Some charities are already very heavily dependent on government funding (through contracts to provide services that used to be directly provided by the state), but without independent sources of income (eg direct public donations) the charities would turn into nothing more than under-funded agencies of the government, and they would struggle.

I agree, government control would mean they were no longer really charities; it would be a terrible idea.
My three favourites, when I used to have money, were Sightsavers International, Dogs Trust and Marie Stopes. As far as Simster's comment about animal charities, that's the whole point about charities, individuals give their own money to what they care about. I'm very fond of dogs but I don't like children.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
- Cancer Research
- Alzheimers Society
- REMF
- Help For Heroes

I would give to the Alzheimers society, but they did absolutely nothing for my dad when he had it, and our whole family was suffering. The only thing they offered was care nurses at more than twice the price we paid privately.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I give to cancer (usually McMillan, having had cancer myself), Oxfam and World Wildlife. Certainly would never give to any religious charity.

Out of interest, what do you define as a religious charity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here