Charities that you RESPECT.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It's where ever you go,there is a charity collecter anything from Big Issue,Animal welfare,Save a Hospice etc and maybe like many you feel a little guilty 'if you just walk past' however do you have any charities you support/give to or respect the work they do ? For me Breakthough Breast cancer (both myself and Mrs LBG how lost a close friend's through the illness) and as an island nation RNLI most of us love the coast either on your own or with the family,but i would never like to be at the mercy of the sea.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I respect all charities. They all do fantastic work for their respective causes.
I don't. Every time I see an animal charity I think "you do realise there are humans, even kids that need your help?"

And I struggle to get behind religious charities too.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I don't. Every time I see an animal charity I think "you do realise there are humans, even kids that need your help?"

And I struggle to get behind religious charities too.

My point,way to many. The way it is going is it will you give to charity 24/7 but then need charity YOURSELF ?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Yes. I do. But human compassion knows no bounds. My charities are:
Dog rescues (esp. Many Tears)
Buttercups Goat Sanctuary
That beautiful Vulcan
British Heart Foundation.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I respect all charities. They all do fantastic work for their respective causes.

Pretty much this, always donate whenever possible to all collections. Lost my old girl 3 years ago to cancer so The Martlets tends to be my 'charity of choice'. Can't walk past a collection at the Amex without throwing a couple of quid in whatever the cause is. Fair play to all the people that give up their time to collect at the Amex :)

Camicus

RNLI
Mcmillan
Dogs Trust

I would do many tears but they once refused me a westie on the grounds there fosterer could be parted from him

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Macmillan
Teenage Cancer Trust
Royal Mardsen Cancer Appeal
Muscular Dystrophy Organisation

Four very well organised and wonderful charities amongst many, many others.

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't think the bigger Charities are benefiting as much as they used too. The problem is, there are too many charities, too many bags, and too many people knocking on doors asking for a monthly direct debit from people.

In my own opinion people have got fed up, some have lost trust, what with all the charity bag scams that go on as well.

What they should is create one big charity backed by the government, and then split the money evenly across all the recognized Charities. One payment to cover everyone when people can afford to do it, simple.

Or payments could be made online. So if there is Charity close to your heart, you can always give a bit more money than the others.

I'm happy to give to all charities. I have given to lots in the past. I don't have any favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
RNLI

Lions - a way of giving to one charity that helps lots of different charities.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Macmillan really good charity this
lostcatsbrighton
never willingly put down what other consider a lost cause and home more cats than RSPCA and Cats Protection put together

What they should is create one big charity backed by the government, and then split the money evenly across all the recognized Charities. One payment to cover everyone when people can afford to do it, simple.
Government control over independent charities would be disastrous.

Some charities are already very heavily dependent on government funding (through contracts to provide services that used to be directly provided by the state), but without independent sources of income (eg direct public donations) the charities would turn into nothing more than under-funded agencies of the government, and they would struggle to develop.

Take a look at what's going on with the Multiple Sclerosis Society, as it struggles with the conflicts between providing the sort of respite care that the NHS would like or meeting the wishes of its established users and members.

Fur Cough

Most charities do good work and have people working for them who's heart is in the right place, but this can be a problem as they lack the skills.

One of my customers is a huge charity and the dept I have to work with is quite simply inept at their jobs, they employ around 15 people to manipulate and compile data lists on a full time basis, I have computer programmes that could do all the work they do in a week in one day but they refuse to listen to this, I know it would be putting people out of work but they are a charity and literally throwing money away.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Queen Alexandra Hospital Home - My Mum spent the last couple of years of her life there until she sadly passed away in June this year, they really made her feel at home and the staff were all very pleasant and friendly, she may not have lived as long as she did and would probably not have seen her first Grandchild if it wasn't for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports