Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chant of the day yesterday

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
yeah he's currently setting the world alight at St Albans isnt he??

Exactly what a pile of shite how has mcghee ruined him? if he was that good surely he would be climming his way back up the leagues?! He seems like a decent Lad but im sure he will admit himself he hast got the agility or pace to play at this standard, and i never really remember him being that much of a prospect! :rolleyes: although im sure thats mcghees fault

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
People are so easily offended these days, I do understand what some of you are getting at regarding bullying and I definitely disagree with it if it's between fans. Footballers have virtually always had abuse thrown at them, it's just football, it's nothing too serious. And I really don't see the problem some people have with swearing, kids have heard it all at school anyway. If people didn't get offended by swear words, they would cease to exist.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How old were you when you went to your first game?

I was eight. I went with my Dad, brother(11years old) next door neighbour(in his 70's) and my grandmother and grandfather. Thewre was constant swearing, fencing all around the ground separating home and away fans and regular threats of violence from both sets of fans. None of us found it particularly offensive.

How come it's offensive now?

People are so easily offended these days, I do understand what some of you are getting at regarding bullying and I definitely disagree with it if it's between fans. Footballers have virtually always had abuse thrown at them, it's just football, it's nothing too serious. And I really don't see the problem some people have with swearing, kids have heard it all at school anyway. If people didn't get offended by swear words, they would cease to exist.

Hey, I don't get offended, far from it, I dislike the sanitisation of football, but that is how it has become. These "top boys" are never going to "reclaim the terraces", so they really should pipe down a bit, shounting "****" everytime an opposition player makes a robust tackle, taking the piss out of our own fans, pretty poor show really.

There are kids, families and elderly fans all lumped together, all seater stadiums dictate this to a degree, I wouldn't use such language when sitting (standing) close to Women, Wives, Mothers, Elderly, Children, Vicars and Priests (I know a Vicar who attends Albion matches).

Back in the good old days, most kids (mostly boys) would be taken by their Dad, Uncle etc and when young, would be in the West Stand, or South Stand, then as you got older, and took yourself to games, then you progressed to the North Stand, that was out of choice, and you were comfortable with the language etc, in fact, that's why some of us probably went in there.

Nowadays it's different, not good different IMO, but different all the same. Away games on a Tuesday night in Northampton attract the full spectrum of fans these days, I guess becasue there are all seater stadiums, toilets with lights, Costa Coaches etc.

In the past I think away games attracted a different profile of travelling fan, I know when I started going to them it was unusual to see children, whole families etc on the terraces behind the Kwik Save at Hull. But now, with "comfy" stadiums, good access, security, toilets that work, well, you're going to attract all types aren't you? And because of that, we all have to curtail our language and behaviour a bit, out of common decency. Unless of course you are the type of person who doesn't care about such things.

That's what I think anyway, I'm no prude, I prefered uneven terraces, no roofs, or nasty corruguated metal ones, the smell of nasty burgers mingled in with leather jackets, the bogs that never flushed, lukewarm tea, frozen pasties and blokes swearing at each other, I really hate how football has become, can't help it, that's just what I like(d)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hey, I don't get offended, far from it, I dislike the sanitisation of football, but that is how it has become. These "top boys" are never going to "reclaim the terraces", so they really should pipe down a bit, shounting "****" everytime an opposition player makes a robust tackle, taking the piss out of our own fans, pretty poor show really.

There are kids, families and elderly fans all lumped together, all seater stadiums dictate this to a degree, I wouldn't use such language when sitting (standing) close to Women, Wives, Mothers, Elderly, Children, Vicars and Priests (I know a Vicar who attends Albion matches).

Back in the good old days, most kids (mostly boys) would be taken by their Dad, Uncle etc and when young, would be in the West Stand, or South Stand, then as you got older, and took yourself to games, then you progressed to the North Stand, that was out of choice, and you were comfortable with the language etc, in fact, that's why some of us probably went in there.

Nowadays it's different, not good different IMO, but different all the same. Away games on a Tuesday night in Northampton attract the full spectrum of fans these days, I guess becasue there are all seater stadiums, toilets with lights, Costa Coaches etc.

In the past I think away games attracted a different profile of travelling fan, I know when I started going to them it was unusual to see children, whole families etc on the terraces behind the Kwik Save at Hull. But now, with "comfy" stadiums, good access, security, toilets that work, well, you're going to attract all types aren't you? And because of that, we all have to curtail our language and behaviour a bit, out of common decency. Unless of course you are the type of person who doesn't care about such things.

That's what I think anyway, I'm no prude, I prefered uneven terraces, no roofs, or nasty corruguated metal ones, the smell of nasty burgers mingled in with leather jackets, the bogs that never flushed, lukewarm tea, frozen pasties and blokes swearing at each other, I really hate how football has become, can't help it, that's just what I like(d)

Ah, fair enough, you make some valid points. Thanks for taking the time to write a decent and (fairly) lengthy reply.:)

and what is it with these mockney accents when singing? i'm pretty sure hollingbury is not within the sound of the Bow bells? or the extra ooomph they give to swear words in songs, it makes me cringe.

I think Brightonian accents could best be described as mockney anyway. I regularly get mistaken for being a Londoner when on holiday.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
I was getting increasingly embarassed about our support yesterday. I have noticed the chav count increase a lot recently.

Im all for getting behind the team but the amount of people screaming C**t at any given opportunity was was embarassing and uncalled for
how can you blame them shouting c**t at them when the ref and the lino's were absoloutly awful!
i dont think there were any chavs there, just younger boys who want to support the team!
and people saying we should have a swearing stand....stop being such a ponce and shut up, football isn't a polite game mate, especially not away!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
As an aside, my favourite chant this week was the Havant and Waterlooville fans after they went 2 - 1 up at Liverpool singing "can we play you every week?"

:D

On a side note, the best football slogan I've heard for ages (although it wasn't a chant) was a banner that the Havant and Waterlooville fans had saying:

"WE'RE GOING TO WEMBLEY - (IT'S ON THE WAY HOME)"

Genius!:laugh:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
how can you blame them shouting c**t at them when the ref and the lino's were absoloutly awful!
i dont think there were any chavs there, just younger boys who want to support the team!
and people saying we should have a swearing stand....stop being such a ponce and shut up, football isn't a polite game mate, especially not away!

I've removed my tongue from my cheek to point out my comment about the swearing stand was very much tongue in cheek.

Read the rest of my post, I want piss running down the steps, botulism and salmonella in every pie and pastie, I want to know there is a chance someone pissed in my Bovril, and most of all I want to be f***ing loud, horrible and rude at football matches. My point is, I can't because of the way it is now, and because I am not prepared to behave like that around children, old folks, my wife and others. I want it to be so impolite that it would make a docker blush, that's how it was when I started going, and I loved it, and sadly it will never be like that again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here