Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CHANNEL 5 , 9pm Monday. On benefits and proud .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
TBF the Scouse woman did say she was prepared to work, provided the wages covered her rent / bills, which seemed to include both Sky, and Virgin tv, and gave her 500 quid a week.
Program made me laugh rather than angry....
We know these people exist, but when you seem them...its breathtaking...

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
(owned by those with interests on the two above) keep telling you the big problem is someone getting a few k a month on benefits.

hohoho....how people in high places laugh at people like you.

A few k a month on benefits is ok is it?

That is coming out of your taxes, do you have a few k spare every month, just to fritter away like? If not, and you still don't care, maybe you are also a scrounging leech?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
i dont think the program tried to portray them as the norm at all, just showing they are there and this is what some people deny. and people really do deny it, they themselves all claimed to be looking for work except x, y, z reason. the system is built on denial and blind eye, assuming the best of everyone when we know that for a generation or two thats not been the case. my indignation isnt from they are taking from the system as many probably suspect, but from seeing whats left for those that do genuinly need but dont milk the system. i had a great deal of sympathy for the single mothers until it was apparent they arent single at all and live life of riley compared to some single mothers. thats the shame of it all.

Any system of any level of complexity can be gamed, and some people make a living out of gaming such systems. And yes these people are, in a real sense, stealing from every other person in the country and I think that lengthy jail terms should be given out for such people. Although the costs to society of their acts are indeed miniscule in terms of cost, the effect on overall attitudes in the country is huge and any benefits system should be there to support those who need it, rather than those who believe that they deserve it.

The whole "lefties supporting single mothers who live a life of luxury paid for by hard-working people" Vs "righties shutting down the social care system and letting everyone fend for themselves" argument is far too over-simplistic. A system which provides for those who need it whilst handing out severe punishments for those who abuse it seems to be the only solution that's likely to please the majority of people, but of course it's easier said than done.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
i dont think the program tried to portray them as the norm at all, just showing they are there and this is what some people deny. and people really do deny it, they themselves all claimed to be looking for work except x, y, z reason. the system is built on denial and blind eye, assuming the best of everyone when we know that for a generation or two thats not been the case. my indignation isnt from they are taking from the system as many probably suspect, but from seeing whats left for those that do genuinly need but dont milk the system. i had a great deal of sympathy for the single mothers until it was apparent they arent single at all and live life of riley compared to some single mothers. thats the shame of it all.

Yup, life isn't fair is it. Truth is, there aren't that many of these people out there and there isn't much we can do about it as a civilised society after the event but we have to have measures in place to make sure it can't continue happening in the future.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This. I cannot watch these programs anymore. Why do we need to know, there is nothing we can do about it. Those that can do something do F all.

Exactly, it's like the talk show DJ who has to say something contraversial to get people to ring in. Some people just like being angry, for other people, this type of thing is really best avoided.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A few k a month on benefits is ok is it?

That is coming out of your taxes, do you have a few k spare every month, just to fritter away like? If not, and you still don't care, maybe you are also a scrounging leech?

Sadly it seems to me that too many people believe it is a crime to be born to a scummy mother.

Incidentally if some of the low life males actually paid for their own kids instead of skulking off like sewer rats the burden would be lighter.

Further a couple of K a week, to feed and cloth a batch of kids, is equivalent to the cost of keeping one person in prison, or one child in residential care, so whilst no one likes to see brazen free loading, there are still plenty of worse things out there.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Channel 5 tonight:

2i1hw05.jpg

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What was this person like before she went on benefits? I'm assuming she wasn't a shining example of the perfect citizen? Can we therefore surmise that it's not the benefit system that is the problem?

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Will there be a follow up programme "On a £1M bonus and proud" ? Multinational CEO's bragging about their bonuses which they've "earned" by achieving obscene profits and corporation tax avoidance measures. Next weeks programme is called "Shoplifters and proud" , the twitter hashtag #Croydon remains the same.

Maybe its because multinational organisations employ hundreds of thousand of people, who all pay income tax, national insurance contributions (employers and employee contributions). Pay capital gains tax on asset disposals, VAT, corporation tax, income tax on bonuses at 45%, stamp duty etc etc etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maybe its because multinational organisations employ hundreds of thousand of people, who all pay income tax, national insurance contributions (employers and employee contributions). Pay capital gains tax on asset disposals, VAT, corporation tax, income tax on bonuses at 45%, stamp duty etc etc etc.

They pay some of those, but use transfer pricing and other methods to avoid paying a lot of what many people would believe to be the appropriate amounts.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I don't think Benefit Cheats are building up vast amounts of savings, they're spending all the money they recieve. They will pay VAT and othe taxes, and their spending will create jobs. Is that ok?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I don't think Benefit Cheats are building up vast amounts of savings, they're spending all the money they recieve. They will pay VAT and othe taxes, and their spending will create jobs. Is that ok?

From people that I know on benefits that does appear to be the case . Every pound they receive they spend as fast as they can . I guess it helps when you have a guaranteed income with no worries about future job loss or business failure .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I know a girl who is 19 and has a two year old girl. She has a council paid one bed flat in Esher and gets benefits. She does hair dressing on the sly and has a few hundred quid spare a week. She has new cars the latest gadgets... I work in IT my misses is a teacher and we are lucky if we have £100 spare a month between us. Granted we do have a mortgage but this somehow doesn't feel right. This stupid little girl even made a comment about benefit scroungers and how they piss her off ... idiot...

This program however clearly identified the absolute worst offenders. This benefits bashing is propaganda for the hard working middle classes to kick the people below them whilst the super rich are just laughing at us with there millions of pounds tax fraud.

The system does need reviewing. Maybe limit the benefits to 2 children maximum to stop scroungers popping out for kids to gain more income. However many scroungers there are there, the majority are legit and need it.

I'd rather stop the multi billion pound companies avoid paying tax. Close these loop holes asap.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know a girl who is 19 and has a two year old girl. She has a council paid one bed flat in Esher and gets benefits. She does hair dressing on the sly and has a few hundred quid spare a week. She has new cars the latest gadgets... I work in IT my misses is a teacher and we are lucky if we have £100 spare a month between us. Granted we do have a mortgage but this somehow doesn't feel right. This stupid little girl even made a comment about benefit scroungers and how they piss her off ... idiot...

Shop her.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

If she is claiming and working for cash in hand she isn't a scrounger. 0800854440 would be pleased to hear a confidential tip off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here