Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CHANNEL 5 , 9pm Monday. On benefits and proud .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm sure it will be a balanced view of life on benefits won't it?

No, it will be manipulative television focussing on the a*seholes who are shameless and idiotic enough to rub it in everyone's faces. Please bear in mind when watching it that these people will be the worst of the worst and in no way representitive of most benefit receiptients.

Anyone that watches this, just wants to be angry. We know this goes on, we know there aren't out there in huge numbers, we know the country would be better off without them. I'm not sure I see the point in tuning in really.

26 billion on nuclear warheads (trident).

billions on the gov paying interest on their loans to central banks.

oh, yep, but the mains stream media (owned by those with interests on the two above) keep telling you the big problem is someone getting a few k a month on benefits.

hohoho....how people in high places laugh at people like you.

Thank F*** for trident. Our country has been peaceful for 70 years.

Thank F*** we borrowed that money. The interest is in significant to the tax revenue from the profits and employment our great banking sector creates as well as associated businesses and employment.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
ToxtethParkPoster.gif

This would've been their fate in 1900

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love the way that it would be called trolling if it was on the internet but because its on the telly ............................................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All. Of. This. beorhthelm - your welfare v defence comparison is disingenuous, as you well know. Shame on you.

see the context. someone wants to pull out a fraction of (future) defense spending and contrast it to the cost of an individual on benefits. thats disingenuous, or rather its irrelevant. shame on me for biting of course.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The front page of the Independent suggests that Boots have avoided £1.1bn in tax, legally, may i add, but by shifting debts and having taxfree overseas accounts. If we had a system that prevented companies from playing around and juggling funds to make sure they pay as little as possible for the greater good, then the supposed benefits fraud figure would be a drop in the ocean. It's best to attack the not-likely-to-vote poor and the out of work layabouts filmed for tv to claim middle england's generally hateful support though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No-one in their right mind could defend the kind of lifestyle depicted on this program. I did not watch it but I've seen similar stories. Equally no-one can deny there is a bigger picture to this. If the media can find these people to film them why can't the government find these individuals and deal with them? Because it wouldn't fit their agenda? Far more advantageous to the government to make sweeping reforms that make them look like they have dealt with the issue of unemployment.

I notice there are very few stories in the press about the huge majority of people forced to live on benefits who are looking for work but due to the way governments, past and present, have ****ed up the UK economy, there are no jobs for them to go to. Perhaps show how they struggle to find work and live on 60 quid a week?

If one person is scraping through on minimum and another is raking in hundreds of pounds a week that is not the fault of the vast majority of people on benefits, that's the government's fault.

What possible other reason for this kind of program is there except to serve the government's agendas and direct the public's scorn on benefit recipients? Sounds like a revolting piece of television making and I would hope most could see through it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What possible other reason for this kind of program is there except to serve the government's agendas and direct the public's scorn on benefit recipients? Sounds like a revolting piece of television making and I would hope most could see through it.

Judging by this thread, I'm pleasantly suprised that many could see through it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Judging by this thread, I'm pleasantly suprised that many could see through it.

Agreed. There are not many people on the left or right that would disagree the benefit system needs better policing and reform but the way this particular government is going about it is quite inappropriate. Akin to burning your own house down cos you spotted a spider in the bath.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I agree. The sole purpose of this lazy programme is to wind people up. So there's people on benefits who take the piss - is this news to anyone?

Should it be ignored then?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Agreed. There are not many people on the left or right that would disagree the benefit system needs better policing and reform but the way this particular government is going about it is quite inappropriate. Akin to burning your own house down cos you spotted a spider in the bath.

That is not an inappropriate response. If you see a spider in the bath tub, the only logical solution is to burn the street down, just in case.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

do you find it "revolting" because it forces you to acknowledge that there are such people around after all? i know alot of people try to pretend this group of people dont exist, everyone really wants to work if only they could be given a good job, or say its a tiny minority, so thats OK. the reason the government doesnt find and deal with this people is because they work the system, they'll have a disability, stress, depression and back complaints are the easy ones. i know people who've done this, worked the system for 30 years. the way i see it is everyone on the take is taking from those in genuine need who've fallen on hard times. the safety net is spread too thin to accomadate those who have no intention to lift a finger their whole life. if you could get a house, cable, couple hundred quid a week after bills, why work? makes us that go to work look a bit stupid really doesnt it? thats where the public scorn comes from, the sence we're being mugged off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hopefully, the people featured, will have their benefits reviewed, and money can be spent on more deserving cases. This sort of thing will always go on.... some will abuse it, most wont.

Exactly , like the silly scouser who said that because his brother in law had moved in they were getting more than what the rent cost and the landlord was giving them a refund :lol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
do you find it "revolting" because it forces you to acknowledge that there are such people around after all? i know alot of people try to pretend these people dont exist, everyone really wants to work if only they could be given a good job. or its a tint minority, so thats OK. the reason the government doesnt find and deal with this people is because they work the system, they'll have a disability, stress, depression and back complaints are the easy ones. i know people who've done this, worked the system for 30 years. the way i see it is everyone on the take is taking from those in genuine need who've fallen on hard times. the saftey net is spread too thin to accomadate those who have no intention to lift a finger their whole life. if you could get a house, cable, couple hundred quid a week after bills, why work? makes us that go to work look a bit stupid really doesnt it? thats where the public scorn comes from, the sence we're being mugged off.

I'm well aware these people are around. I, maybe incorrectly try and deal with it rationally. There is little I can do about it for a start. If one accepts a welfare system or any kind of "hand-out" structure then it follows logic that whether you like it or not, that there will be people who take the piss. In fact in any system people will find a way to fiddle it.
I expect the people running that system to make a reasonable effort to weed these people out but if that effort results in the majority being penalised unfairly to catch a relatively small amount of people there comes a point when you have to admit the system is flawed and live with it. I'm not saying let the obvious cases slide.

As it happens I don't resent my money going into a welfare system where cheats exist, I don't like it particularly but for the greater good I can personally live with it. I have far more concerns as to where my money goes than the benefit system and more concerns as to tax avoidance. Those are the issues that make me feel "mugged off".

I look at these cheats and think "What a prick" and move on with my life.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
do you find it "revolting" because it forces you to acknowledge that there are such people around after all? i know alot of people try to pretend this group of people dont exist, everyone really wants to work if only they could be given a good job, or say its a tiny minority, so thats OK. the reason the government doesnt find and deal with this people is because they work the system, they'll have a disability, stress, depression and back complaints are the easy ones. i know people who've done this, worked the system for 30 years. the way i see it is everyone on the take is taking from those in genuine need who've fallen on hard times. the safety net is spread too thin to accomadate those who have no intention to lift a finger their whole life. if you could get a house, cable, couple hundred quid a week after bills, why work? makes us that go to work look a bit stupid really doesnt it? thats where the public scorn comes from, the sence we're being mugged off.

No, even the biggest "do gooder leftie" would acknowledge this does go on & that the system failed to allow this to happen but the number of cases out there is miniscule. This is the reason the program is so horrible because it's taking isolated cases and painting them as the norm.

These people are scumbags taking the p*ss. Every developed country has them and we should be doing everything that is ecnomically viable (i.e not chucking good money after bad) to ensure that their numbers are as low as possible and they are given as harder time as possible. In truth though, this is just tabloid headline fodder akin to "the worst winter in 100 years" & "muslims cancelling Christmas."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will there be a follow up programme "On a £1M bonus and proud" ? Multinational CEO's bragging about their bonuses which they've "earned" by achieving obscene profits and corporation tax avoidance measures. Next weeks programme is called "Shoplifters and proud" , the twitter hashtag #Croydon remains the same.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
No, even the biggest "do gooder leftie" would acknowledge this does go on & that the system failed to allow this to happen but the number of cases out there is miniscule. This is the reason the program is so horrible because it's taking isolated cases and painting them as the norm.

i dont think the program tried to portray them as the norm at all, just showing they are there and this is what some people deny. and people really do deny it, they themselves all claimed to be looking for work except x, y, z reason. the system is built on denial and blind eye, assuming the best of everyone when we know that for a generation or two thats not been the case. my indignation isnt from they are taking from the system as many probably suspect, but from seeing whats left for those that do genuinly need but dont milk the system. i had a great deal of sympathy for the single mothers until it was apparent they arent single at all and live life of riley compared to some single mothers. thats the shame of it all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here