Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CHANNEL 5 , 9pm Monday. On benefits and proud .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BBC2 with Stephen Fry arguing with a bigoted Ugandan about gayness is far more interesting.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
C4 with a women who has just drunk four litres of cider and is having a dump on the khazi whilst screaming at the paramedics, who it has to be said are amazing professionals.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have no problem with it, as long as they're good parents. It's not as if being a parent is like having no job, it's possibly THE most important job in society (and one of the most challenging too)

well, while using her HTC phone and the kids play with an iPad, she tells how they live apart from the father to maximise their benefits. great example for the children i'm sure.

she cant take a job because it would mean less time with the kids. screw all those who do work and miss thier kids commuting to work, away all week or longer periods.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have no problem with it, as long as they're good parents. It's not as if being a parent is like having no job, it's possibly THE most important job in society (and one of the most challenging too)

Not watching this programme purely out of principle, very DailyMailesque by the sounds of it.

You will claim to be fishing, if you have an ounce of morality........

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
From cradle to grave I think the saying goes, anyone on here that thinks, as long as she is a good parent, is very misguided, all she is doing is creating goodness knows how many clones of herself that multiply like bacteria and cost the state even more money in the future.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Could be interesting to see where your tax money is being spent .

26 billion on nuclear warheads (trident).

billions on the gov paying interest on their loans to central banks.

oh, yep, but the mains stream media (owned by those with interests on the two above) keep telling you the big problem is someone getting a few k a month on benefits.

hohoho....how people in high places laugh at people like you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...keep telling you the big problem is someone getting a few k a month on benefits.

which adds up to a bill of over £112billion. we spend more than twice as much on welfare than defence, so your point is rather hollow.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
£100 million on custard creams ? That's outrageous. I want my......err.........ginger nuts.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Let's all pluck non-relevant figures out of the air. £100 million on custard creams.

Oh come on, that's absurd, as if we'd spend that much money on custard creams. Bourbons yes, but not custard creams.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
which adds up to a bill of over £112billion. we spend more than twice as much on welfare than defence, so your point is rather hollow.

We do - although the biggest part of the welfare bill is pensions at £144 billion. Unemployment benefit costs £5.4 billion - about 2% of the welfare and pensions budget. The vast majority of those are single or have one or two children. Roughly £150 million is spent on families with five or more children - just over 0.01% of the welfare budget (which itself makes up just 16% of government spend).

I'm certainly not endorsing the lifestyle but there's an awful lot of indignation from the likes of the tabloids and TV programmes like this for piffling small amounts. It's pity there's not more effort and anger about the amount of tax loopholes and sweetheart deals, ones that would pay the welfare bill many times over.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We do - although the biggest part of the welfare bill is pensions at £144 billion. Unemployment benefit costs £5.4 billion - about 2% of the welfare and pensions budget. The vast majority of those are single or have one or two children. Roughly £150 million is spent on families with five or more children - just over 0.01% of the welfare budget (which itself makes up just 16% of government spend).

I'm certainly not endorsing the lifestyle but there's an awful lot of indignation from the likes of the tabloids and TV programmes like this for piffling small amounts. It's pity there's not more effort and anger about the amount of tax loopholes and sweetheart deals, ones that would pay the welfare bill many times over.
All. Of. This. beorhthelm - your welfare v defence comparison is disingenuous, as you well know. Shame on you.

There will always be problem people like the ones who clearly featured on this shìte sensationalist programme - it is never going to be difficult for media muppets to find them when they want to make the population tut and shake their heads in indignation or outrage.

As a society, we either attempt to help everyone who *needs* help and accept that there are shameful chav twats abusing the system, or we don't offer much at all and accept that plenty of those who need it won't get any help at all because they fall through the cracks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This. A lot of benefits are paid out to working families with tax credits too. That doesn't make for 'good' articles in the press or on tv. There are scroungers but there are a lot of tax evaders and tax avoiders.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I have to agree with this. Cannot stand the lifestyle and attitude, but 'benefits culture' is just a strand of what is wrong.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
On one channel you have 'Made in Chelsea', on the next 'On benefits and proud'. Just about sums this country up.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hopefully, the people featured, will have their benefits reviewed, and money can be spent on more deserving cases. This sort of thing will always go on.... some will abuse it, most wont.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here