Changing sterling into Euros

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
I agree but 3 weeks ago the PO were offering 1.18 on Euros and the other 2 were 1.20. It's approx 1.22 now. All three outlets are commission free.

Commission free ... Ha ha! Yeah right. Have you ever thought why the buy & sell rates are so different, & bear no comparison to the 'actual' exchange rates?
Don't be fooled by commission free - it's bollocks. They make a nice little earner by offering a crap rate when you buy currency, & then rip you off again when you sell them back your unused currency.
Suggest paying small fee (£4) for 'buy back' when you buy currency - you can then sell unused currency back at the same rate you bought it. This saved me £35 this summer - worth doing!

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
Just go on Travelex or Moneycorp website pre order it for collection at the airport. If it is too late to do it online call their phone number and ask for the online rate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nationwide credit card to pay or draw cash at the ATM, a charge for drawing cash (£4.50) and you'll get an exchange rate that bears some resemblance to the actual rate unlike Banks, the airport and the Post Office. Pretty crap advice if you've not got one I accept.

If you're getting less than 1.24 today you are being stitched up

Depends when you are going. If you are going to be at the Cardiff game you can buy some of mine and we can screw the banks between us.

But if you get them from a hole in the wall in Spain - not a good idea IMO - make sure you opt to be charged in euros, not pounds.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Been buying my $ for my holiday in Florida ( did you see what I did there :lol:) from M&S in western road or that currency place in imperial arcade, best rates between them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Off on hols to Spain tomorrow and need to get some Euros. Where's the best place to get the best exchange rate?

Bureau de Change here?
Bureau de Change at airport?
Bureau de in Spain?
Wall bank in Spain?

Over to you, please and thank you. :)

Will you be hiring a car, or using buses ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I always just use cashpoints now, I have a nationwide account so there's no commission. Whatever nominal difference you get in the exchange rate is negated by not being worried about holding big wads of cash.

Changing £100s up before you go is very last century

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
I always found the ER offered at The Coin Shop in Church Road/Ship Street to be pretty good.

The guy that used to work at both these places has his own now called DAPA on Western Road opposite Temple Bar,near Norfolk Square....and does the best rates in town. Always.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Commission free ... Ha ha! Yeah right. Have you ever thought why the buy & sell rates are so different, & bear no comparison to the 'actual' exchange rates?
Don't be fooled by commission free - it's bollocks. They make a nice little earner by offering a crap rate when you buy currency, & then rip you off again when you sell them back your unused currency.
Suggest paying small fee (£4) for 'buy back' when you buy currency - you can then sell unused currency back at the same rate you bought it. This saved me £35 this summer - worth doing!

I don't sell back unused currency. I usually only have around 20 or 25 euros left at the end of my trip so put it aside for the next one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always just use cashpoints now, I have a nationwide account so there's no commission. Whatever nominal difference you get in the exchange rate is negated by not being worried about holding big wads of cash.

Changing £100s up before you go is very last century

Using a Nationwide card to pay for meals and any presents or expensive buys also means you get the rate on the day with no charges at all, you also have a record of what you spent. Cannot see the point of carrying wads of cash these days.

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
You recommended them for me and couldn't beat their rates anywhere

Curiously, their one in Queens road usually is fractionally better. If you want a large amount, give them some blag about seeing it slightly better elsewhere and they'll make a call to see if they can match.

stupendor

Feb 21, 2010
Double post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports