Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Change to work permit rules

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Could be good for us, but not for English player development.

The Home Office has approved new Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) Criteria for international player visas which are effective from the opening of the June transfer window (14th June).

While the main points-based system will remain in place for the majority of players coming to the English game from overseas, The FA has designed a new football solution alongside stakeholders which works for everyone and provides additional access to exceptional international talent which falls outside the current GBE criteria.

The additional access will allow clubs playing in the English league the ability to sign a number of players who do not meet the current points requirements. A maximum of four players will be available to Premier League and Championship teams, and two for League One and League Two teams.

The Premier League and EFL have also committed to work with The FA on improving the pathway for talented English youngsters. This solution supports both England player development and clubs’ access to overseas talent. The outcomes of both the changes to the GBE system and improvements to the development pathway will be kept under review, which could mean increasing the number of places allowed per club should both be working successfully.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So much for controlling our borders.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I don't actually think this helps us at all from a selfish point of view,in the past teams have pulled out of signing players because of the work permit complications, basically I guess they were too lazy to actually have a plan and wanted the quick deal whereas we were more patient and put in the work to secure the players we found,I maybe completely wrong but we wouldn't have signed Caciedo for sure if Utd could have been arsed to pursue their interest in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here