Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Change to match day security

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
It only takes one lunatic to want to go after one of our Israeli internationals... I'm happy with it if it gives them piece of mind to play a blinder

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
why don't they just seach the most likely looking ones ..................... taxi ;-|)

More or less what I suggested earlier in the thread.

Racial profiling IS a serious suggestion despite being potentially 'illegal. Of all the terrorist attacks, going as far back as 9/11, that have been linked to either Al Quaeda or ISIS not a single one of the participants has been Caucasian - so if the current threat is perceived as coming from ISIS then what is the point of searching everyone above and beyond the normal security procedures if it is not just for the sake of political correctness? ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Adding extra security seems sensible. Telling people to get there 45 minutes early IS overkill. If everyone arrived at the same time it wouldn't solve anything, it doesn't look like coaches are leaving any earlier and, in any case, the pretty full on searches I got going in to the Goldstone North years ago still probably took less than a minute and you were generally pulled to one side while the queue continued.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Daughter walks up to the turnstile with her bag open ready to be checked, I walk straight through as I've no bag. Saturday my Daughter will walk up with her bag open as usual but I will have to undergo a brisk pat down. I'm happy with that. If we all walk up with our coats undone and bags open there will be no queue.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Adding extra security seems sensible. Telling people to get there 45 minutes early IS overkill. If everyone arrived at the same time it wouldn't solve anything, it doesn't look like coaches are leaving any earlier and, in any case, the pretty full on searches I got going in to the Goldstone North years ago still probably took less than a minute and you were generally pulled to one side while the queue continued.

A cynic might say the club may have ulterior motives for suggesting getting there 45 minutes earlier than normal for a simple task that takes no more than a couple

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I can understand the reaction but I question the validity of a pat down search. The modus operandi of these animals is not to sneak some weapons in disguised as thermos flasks but to charge in shooting then blow themselves up As seen in Paris - couldn't get through the turnstiles so just blow yourself up outside. Also having served through the Irish troubles the searches carried out at most public venues are farcical and are only done for appearances.
I do appreciate the challenges for the club do nothing people moan, do something people moan I guess I would rather the game go ahead and be mildly inconvenienced than the usual government reaction of a blanket ban.

Well said, Lethargic. I too spent many "happy" years checking out every vehicle I got into in case the Bogstompers had got to it first. We had a guy with what resembled a skateboard on a long pole with a mirror attached so he could check under every vehicle entering camp. When asked by a Major I was travelling with what he would do if he found anything, he said "I'd run like Hell, Sir!" Classic, but you know as well as I do how haphazard some of these "searches" were, even when done by the Services. You can try to be vigilant, but my oppo in Belfast was still killed by a car bomb. It's all a very fickle business.....and the results are indescriminate and very unfair.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Well said, Lethargic. I too spent many "happy" years checking out every vehicle I got into in case the Bogstompers had got to it first. We had a guy with what resembled a skateboard on a long pole with a mirror attached so he could check under every vehicle entering camp. When asked by a Major I was travelling with what he would do if he found anything, he said "I'd run like Hell, Sir!" Classic, but you know as well as I do how haphazard some of these "searches" were, even when done by the Services. You can try to be vigilant, but my oppo in Belfast was still killed by a car bomb. It's all a very fickle business.....and the results are indescriminate and very unfair.

Arh you were obviously posted somewhere posh we had no wheels on our car mirrors, yes remember crawling around under the car in car parks as a regular occurrence. Also being told whilst based in Germany not to stand out and blend in with the locals - such a shame we had BFG number plates.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Was at the Emirates Tuesday night.At kick off only c2/3 rds full.15 mins in still streaming in.Extra security def had an effect on all those turning up close to kick off.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Let's get a perspective here...

The French national squad game were targeted during a televised international match while their President was in the ground because France is actively involved in the bombing of Syria.

We are a second tier British team playing another second tier British team on a game not being televised.

If extremists were to target a football match tomorrow, does anyone really think we would be a target for them??

Way ahead of us in terms of risk are games being televised live; high profile games; clubs owned by Russians/French/Americans; teams with players from Russia, France or America; matches attended by politicians; ... the list of reasons why Chelski are a real target and we are just subject to government scaremongering goes on and on.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Let's get a perspective here...

The French national squad game were targeted during a televised international match while their President was in the ground because France is actively involved in the bombing of Syria.

We are a second tier British team playing another second tier British team on a game not being televised.

If extremists were to target a football match tomorrow, does anyone really think we would be a target for them??

Way ahead of us in terms of risk are games being televised live; high profile games; clubs owned by Russians/French/Americans; teams with players from Russia, France or America; matches attended by politicians; ... the list of reasons why Chelski are a real target and we are just subject to government scaremongering goes on and on.

All reasonable points but how many teams have a couple of Israeli internationals playing for them? Apparently Islamic terrorists are not big fans of Jews/Israel !

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
So this game we have extra security measures, and the next one, and the one after that, and then a little bit less, and a little bit less until one day, maybe years from now, security is as it is now. Then the terrorists think about whether or not we make a good target. It's a pointless exercise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here