Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champs elect vs Relegation favourites @ the Rose Bowl

It seems harris has signed a 3 year deal with Queensland so we'll probably just be checking he'll be signed as an overseas player over there, as he's playing under his British passport here. All a bit messy.

Sussex's signing of fast bowler Ryan Harris has been cleared by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Harris does not count as an overseas player as the South Australian bowler has a British passport as his father, Rolf, was born in England.

The 28-year-old was South Australia's top wicket taker in the four day Pura Cup and in Twenty20 Cricket.

The county champions have promptly given him his debut in the friendly match with the MCC at Lords.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
MYSTERY surrounded the future of Susses's new fast bowler Ryan Harris today.

The 28-year-old was due to make his Championship debut for the county against Hampshire but was pulled out 30 minutes before the start and replaced by Chris Liddle, who was summoned from a second team game at Hove.

It emerged that Harris signed a three-year contract with Queensland overnight after rejecting the offer of a new two-year deal with his current state side South Australia.

advertisement
Harris signed a two-year contract with Sussex in February and had his registration ratified by the ECB last week. He is qualified to play in county cricket because his father has a UK passport.

As a result, he can only play in Australia as an overseas player. Queensland have not indicated that he has been signed as an overseas player.

Asked whether Harris will play for Sussex again, Sussex's chief executive Gus Mackay said: "I cannot answer that."

Coach Mark Robinson referred all enquiries about the situation to the club and Sussex have promised to make a statement later today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sounds as though Harris has been a bit of a DICK.

Apart from anything else [mis-leading at least one of his existing / prospective employers?] what is he doing conducting overnight negotiations the night before his all-important championship debut for the mighty [lowly] martlets?

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
What's happened to Harris?
By Bruce Talbot
MYSTERY surrounded the future of Susses's new fast bowler Ryan Harris today.

The 28-year-old was due to make his Championship debut for the county against Hampshire but was pulled out 30 minutes before the start and replaced by Chris Liddle, who was summoned from a second team game at Hove.

It emerged that Harris signed a three-year contract with Queensland overnight after rejecting the offer of a new two-year deal with his current state side South Australia.

Harris signed a two-year contract with Sussex in February and had his registration ratified by the ECB last week. He is qualified to play in county cricket because his father has a UK passport.

As a result, he can only play in Australia as an overseas player. Queensland have not indicated that he has been signed as an overseas player.

Asked whether Harris will play for Sussex again, Sussex's chief executive Gus Mackay said: "I cannot answer that."

Coach Mark Robinson referred all enquiries about the situation to the club and Sussex have promised to make a statement later today.

Harris was not available for comment.

A little worrying all this I fear.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This will be a big blow (I am assuming he will be a good signing) if we are to lose him. I can't imagine Queensland will keen to use him in their overseas quota or able to, so he is effectively going to have to choose between Sussex or Queensland.

If he does have his contract terminated, what are the chances of us finding a decent replacement now that the season is underway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would the fact that he signed OUR contract first not have some bearing if he were forced to make a choice?

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Looking at the scores (below) does today not prove yet again that we are not only the best team in the land (apart of course from the champions elect) but also the most exciting (apart of course from the champions elect). Time for a season ticket.

Hampshire: Yet to bat
Sussex: 276-4
In Play
scorecard

Kent: 162
Nottinghamshire: 42-2
In Play
scorecard

Surrey: 135-2
Lancashire: Yet to bat
In Play
scorecard

LV County Championship - Division Two
Essex: Yet to bat
Northamptonshire: 206-6
In Play
scorecard

Gloucestershire: 63-2
Derbyshire: 124
In Play
scorecard

Leicestershire: Yet to bat
Middlesex: 199-2
In Play
scorecard

Warwickshire: Yet to bat
Worcestershire: 210-8
In Play
scorecard

according to Cricket Australia

Veteran fast bowler Ryan Harris has left South Australia West End Redbacks and will play state cricket for XXXX Queensland Bulls for the next three seasons.

Harris took 37 wickets during the 2007-08 season at an average of 29.86 which placed him among the top 10 wicket-takers in the Pura Cup competition.

The 28-year-old made his debut for South Australia in 2001-02 and has barely missed a game for the Redbacks during the past few years and has developed into one of the most consistent bowlers in the country.

Harris, who is currently playing county cricket for Sussex in England, said he was looking forward to continuing his career with the Bulls next season.

"It was a good offer and while I've enjoyed my time with the Redbacks, I thought the opportunity to bowl at the Gabba over the next few years should see my career develop further," Harris said.

"I thank the SACA for their support over the past few years and wish them all the best but I'm genuinely excited about the prospects ahead with the Bulls."

Redbacks coach Mark Sorrell was bitterly disappointed to lose the services of Harris, but wished the paceman all the best in his new state.

"Ryan had his most consistent season on record in 2007-08 and there is no doubt that we were keen to retain him," Sorell said.

"We offered him a competitive two-year contract with incentives rolling into a third year."

"I have known Ryan for many years and I highlighted to him why I felt he would benefit from the match time he was likely to get playing with the Redbacks - he played in every match across all forms of the game in 2006-07 and without injury he was well-positioned for this to continue."

"While I am disappointed I am realistic. Ryan's performance this season was always going to attract attention and I am not surprised that Western Australia and Queensland made excellent offers."

"His contribution to the Redbacks will be missed but we wish him every success with the Bulls and his move to Brisbane."

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Surely Queensland must have known the rules as well - sounds like an almighty cock up by all concerned. Sussex can't have known he was set to sign for Queensland overnight surely.

from cricinfo - sounds like one almight cock up somewhere

County news

Angry Sussex withdraw Harris from match

Cricinfo staff

April 16, 2008

Sussex were forced to withdraw Ryan Harris from their Championship opener against Hampshire at the Rose Bowl at the last minute after reports that he had signed a three-year deal with Queensland.

Harris was signed as a Kolpak player and joined for Sussex on the understanding that he held a British passport and met current ECB regulations. However, if he has agreed a deal with Queensland then that might put him in breach of contract with Sussex and the county are believed to be seeking clarification of the situation from the player.

"Naturally it is disappointing that Ryan was withdrawn minutes before the start of play," Gus Mackay, Sussex's chief executive, said. "We are currently working with the relevant authorities and their lawyers in the hope of resolving the situation."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here