Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship's promotion candidates - you choose

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Derby bother me more than anyone now, to the extent that I think they might just batter us when we play up there. Hull seem to getting the job done and have a class squad. I'm just not as convinced by them, but you have to say that any squad good enough to let Liam Rosenior depart and barely notice him is obviously a good squad.

I'm becoming less convinced of Boro with every passing week. I don't think their squad is much different from ours - they have the same Achilles heel as us in that they are missing a 20-goal-a-season goal-scorer. That said, both ourselves and Boro will surely fancy our chances if we can snaffle a goal scoring MACHINE in January.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Derby bother me more than anyone now, to the extent that I think they might just batter us when we play up there. Hull seem to getting the job done and have a class squad. I'm just not as convinced by them, but you have to say that any squad good enough to let Liam Rosenior depart and barely notice him is obviously a good squad.

I'm becoming less convinced of Boro with every passing week. I don't think their squad is much different from ours - they have the same Achilles heel as us in that they are missing a 20-goal-a-season goal-scorer. That said, both ourselves and Boro will surely fancy our chances if we can snaffle a goal scoring MACHINE in January.

What scares me is that Middlesbrough offered 12 million for Rhodes, suggests they will go big in January and our potential 6 million odd major signing may be dwarfed by their 12-14 million signing, especially as they are reported to be paying 70 grand a week wages for Downing so aren't shy of spending ridiculous amounts on wages, that would buy you a striker from a good side in Europe.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Did you see Derby at Forest?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

All good points. I'd also like to add, that should it come down to the personality of the manager, I'd say Karanka is the weakest from Hughton, Dyche, Bruce, Clement. The Boro boss has a spot of the 'Poyet pram-chucking' about him. It's a fine line between earning respect and looking business-like AND looking like a stroppy, po-faced misery who disconnects with the players. He's on the right side of the line now, but that could change when the pressure is ramped up.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No but I gather they were toothless. They clearly had an off-day but in any case, derby games are notorious for being difficult to call.
Derby are beating the sides we would expect to beat at home at the present nothing to be afraid of. CH is proving to be a very good tactician I can see another well earned point at Derby will be interesting to see how they get on Friday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm putting some money aside for Wembley as it is too close to call.

I look first for Derby and Hull to lose.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Derby has the most talented 1st XI on paper, Hull have a decent squad and, I suspect, some parachute money to burn. They are clearly our two biggest rivals.

Then come Boro and Burnley - useful but not as dangerous as the other two.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
It shows just how well we have have done to be amongst these squads way way beyond expectation (League position = money invested in players + small manager bonus).

Invest while we can compete.
Trust and appreciate the current success of the squad, manager, Calderwood and rest of training staff.

Buy in January this time.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Worth noting Hull captain Michael Dawson ruled out for a month with a hamstring problem.

Some interesting fixtures this weekend, aside from the Hull v Derby scrap.

Boro have a tricky away match at Huddersfield and Burnley go to Cardiff. We could see only one win from the top five teams - let's hope it's us!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Personally I think we're nailed on for at least the playoffs, anything better would be an amazing bonus

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Right now I'd be really pee'd off if we aren't in the mix come the end of the season. Final game away at Boro could be immense, which will be fun as it will probably be a 1230 kick off :facepalm:

I think (hope) Derby will do their annual balls it up trick and lose out in the play-offs again. Other than that I think the current top 5 will pretty much be the top 5 at the end, with 6th between Reading & Brum.

Sheff Weds :lolol: are in great form at the moment but can't see them sustaining it to be honest.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It shows just how well we have have done to be amongst these squads way way beyond expectation (League position = money invested in players + small manager bonus).

Invest while we can compete.
Trust and appreciate the current success of the squad, manager, Calderwood and rest of training staff.

Buy in January this time.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here