Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Championship signings?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How certain are you of that?

Interesting, I can't find any specific reference to it but it was my understanding too. Also wondering if a club gets promoted back then does the distribution include those clubs already receiving parachute payments ... guess it does.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
QPR fans should be asking very serious questions of their board and manager right now.

I would love it if they had a fan's forum and someone put forth the following question to the owners and manager....

"How are the club planning to conform to the financial fair play regulations that come in to play this season?"

We all know the answer to this is "we aren't." but I just want to see someone put the question to these cowboys in public.

Just to see how they answer the question.

Parachute payments plus almost limitless funds sound get the straight back up the fun comes if it does not pan out and next season they find themselves still in the Championship althought I think that's unlikely with that squad they are probably engraving the thropy as I type this

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Wow and wow. Fantastic signings. Both under 30 and will destroy the Championship.

I work in Reading, probably the only place where you may just bump into one or two Reading fans. Askins is having a mare, he's upset a number of players, performaces have been woeful. He has not played and now ousted their only quick centre back in Marriappa and also Kebe, who the fans rate. Drenthe is not aplying himself, their massive wages Russian striker is warming the bench and word is that the squad is pretty unhappy with Adkins. Latest tactics being to play a lone striker in le fondre (not well suited).

They look like they may be another spectactular fail after getting rid of a.manager who was respected and did well under the circumstances with them.

Sissoko may be a good player and should tear up the championship but may not under Adkins who is being found out now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Harry brings in his old cronies as usual

him and allardyce get the same guys in every time

Yes..Dear old Harry is at it again. The scattergun approach. Lets fire as many bullets as we can and we are bound to hit some targets. Lets build up a massive squad. Never mind the cost, lets spend, spend, spend.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I work in Reading, probably the only place where you may just bump into one or two Reading fans. Askins is having a mare, he's upset a number of players, performaces have been woeful. He has not played and now ousted their only quick centre back in Marriappa and also Kebe, who the fans rate. Drenthe is not aplying himself, their massive wages Russian striker is warming the bench and word is that the squad is pretty unhappy with Adkins. Latest tactics being to play a lone striker in le fondre (not well suited).

They look like they may be another spectactular fail after getting rid of a.manager who was respected and did well under the circumstances with them.

Sissoko may be a good player and should tear up the championship but may not under Adkins who is being found out now.

There were clearly issues between Marriappa and Adkins. Best centre-half in the club and he wasn't playing him. I think patience finally ran out with Kebe. Three games on, ten games off all the time.
Lets not kid ourselves, these two have been sold to pay for Bridge and Drenthe. Adkins has gambled on bringing in two expensive quality signings who are probably earning a minimum of £30k per week each. This 3-4 million this season had to be found somewhere.
They are paying the Russian ( Pog ) a ridiculous sum of money. Allegedly, £65k per week. He ain't producing the goods and quite frankly isn't good enough. Sissoko was just to appease the fans. Typical Reading. They always sell the fans on the idea that high profile players are coming to the club and then they go out and sell good players like Marriappa.
The new Russian owner ain't going to put much in so they are going to have to keep selling to maintain the high wage bill.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting, I can't find any specific reference to it but it was my understanding too. Also wondering if a club gets promoted back then does the distribution include those clubs already receiving parachute payments ... guess it does.

This article gives a good description of what would happen to QPR's year 2&3 parachute payments if they bounce straight back. It also makes an estimate of how much over the FFP limits they're going to be, even with this year's parachute payments accounted for.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/...eague-return-to-avoid-becoming-a-zombie-club-

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
If QPR go up their next two years of parachute payments are distributed to clubs in the FL. Good news for us at least.

This article gives a good description of what would happen to QPR's year 2&3 parachute payments if they bounce straight back. It also makes an estimate of how much over the FFP limits they're going to be, even with this year's parachute payments accounted for.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/...eague-return-to-avoid-becoming-a-zombie-club-

I'm not convinced the parachute payments of clubs gaining promotion back to the Premier League still get distributed to the FL (or remaining Championship clubs). Certainly that HAS happened in the past, but I think the Premier League changed it a while ago.

It isn't conclusive, but a poster on the Reading forum - Hob Nob Anyone? - on a thread back in April posted this:-

It used to be like that, but when the PL changed the rules on Solidarity Payments in summer 2011 (I think!) they scrapped the system where they used to share out any un-used parachute payments amongst the Championship clubs not getting them.

Now, all Championship clubs not getting them get a flat rate £1M from if the PL - and any unused ones stay in the PL's coffers. They also get subsidies on youth development costs under EPPP.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
QPR should also have stayed up last year. Just because you spend the most does not mean you will win anything.
Reading in talks to sign momo sissoko who will be a class above at this level.

It does tend to help although it is a high risk strategy. West Ham's wage bill when they were in the championship was a whopping £43m and the other two promoted teams that year, Southampton and Reading, had the second and fourth highest wages respectively. Cardiff's wage bill last year was, I think, thought to be amongst the highest in the division probably with the exception of the relegated clubs.

The Swiss Ramble posted a very interesting article last month about championship finances. A really interesting read - particularly to those complaining about lack of signings.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looks like we'll do quite nicely from a QPR promotion this season, providing we keep under the FFP limits. We should also be delighted at Notts (they love that) Forest's profligacy as there is no way they'll dodge FFP....it'll increase our share next season.

So come on QPR and keep at it Mr Barber.

:thumbsup:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here