Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship next season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What is Kayal's contract length? He's the only one that I think we'd really miss.

I think we'd also possibly lose Goldson, Dunk, Stephens and possibly Stockdale. Everytime we lose in the playoffs the team gets dismantled

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think we'd also possibly lose Goldson, Dunk, Stephens and possibly Stockdale. Everytime we lose in the playoffs the team gets dismantled

I don't think that we'd lose any of those; turning down the bids for both Stephens and Dunk last summer was a sign of intent. The reason that the team seemed to get dismantled - in reality it didn't - was due to the managers resigning or getting themselves sacked the day after.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Should be some good games next year if we don't make it, although Sunderland and Newcastle are quite a trek (and bound to be 12-30 kick offs on a Sunday).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think that we'd lose any of those; turning down the bids for both Stephens and Dunk last summer was a sign of intent. The reason that the team seemed to get dismantled - in reality it didn't - was due to the managers resigning or getting themselves sacked the day after.

You have to consider the reasons as to why the managers walked or got sacked after failing though...maybe TB will be willing to spend even more money without looking to recuperate some money this time, should we fail to go up. We shouldn't complain if he doesn't want to keep ramping up the losses though.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
I am more worried about the players we will lose if we don't go up than about the teams coming down.

Totally agree. If we fail to go up then we'll be raided for Dunk, Goldson, Knockart, Solly, Hemed, Kayal, Stephens.

The club won't stand in their way either.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You have to consider the reasons as to why the managers walked or got sacked after failing though...

In both cases, with Oscar being far more subtle and hounorable than the JEC, it was implied that it was down to the recruitment set up. This system changed completely last January, and it's hard to find too much fault with the new set up so far. I make it 10 senior signings, of which Elvis has been the only duffer.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In both cases, with Oscar being far more subtle and hounorable than the JEC, it was implied that it was down to the recruitment set up. This system changed completely last January, and it's hard to find too much fault with the new set up so far. I make it 10 senior signings, of which Elvis has been the only duffer.

I have no complaints about the recruitment set up or CH, even if I do have the occasional gripe about his tactics. I just worry that we will "let" players improve themselves and leave. It seems to be the Albion way.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Totally agree. If we fail to go up then we'll be raided for Dunk, Goldson, Knockart, Solly, Hemed, Kayal, Stephens.

The club won't stand in their way either.
Just like at the beginning of this season when we turned down bids of 5m for Dunk and 2.5m for Stephens? We definitely won't lose March and I can't see PL clubs making bids and offering any of the others first team football, with the exception of Kayal, who only has 1 year left on his current deal after this season.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Just like at the beginning of this season when we turned down bids of 5m for Dunk and 2.5m for Stephens? We definitely won't lose March and I can't see PL clubs making bids and offering any of the others first team football, with the exception of Kayal, who only has 1 year left on his current deal after this season.

We'd have sold if they met our offer because why else was Dunk left on the bench till transfer deadline.

Think you'll be surprised who leaves for the prem.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We'd have sold if they met our offer because why else was Dunk left on the bench till transfer deadline.

Think you'll be surprised who leaves for the prem.

Dunk went on strike until he got a new deal. He then had to wait and win his place back from Uwe.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have the club confirmed that was the reason?

No, but they wouldn't report that about a player that they want to stay, would they?

We rejected large bids from Fulham, which were reported to have been 5m and then an improved bid of 6m. We then gave Dunk a new 5 year deal a whole week before the transfer window shut. That's not the actions of a club looking to sell a player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here