Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Championship Last Day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I read earlier that 3 games ago, no Championship team was guaranteed to be playing in the Championship next season. Thats quite amazing really.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just 9 days ago (three rounds of matches back), not one single club knew for sure they'd still be in the Championship next season.

Incredibly, everybody was still in either the promotion or relegation mix.

The situation's now a bit clearer, and some clubs know their destiny, but it's still been one of the most open seasons for a while.

As an aside, I read earlier that 3 games ago, no Championship team was guaranteed to be playing in the Championship next season. Thats quite amazing really.

I'm not buying it on principle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The relegation scrap is about as clear as mud, especially with the Wigan situation.

Shamelessly copied from BBC:

Hull City can only stay up if they win, Barnsley fail to win, Charlton and Luton both lose and the Tigers also make up a 16-goal swing in goal difference over the Addicks. In effect, they are relying on Wigan losing or drawing and then losing their appeal against the points deduction.

Barnsley, like Hull, must also win to have any chance of staying up and hope Charlton lose and Luton fail to win. If Charlton draw Barnsley would need to beat Brentford by 10 goals to go above the Addicks.

Luton Town could be safe with a draw, if Charlton lose. But they need to win to stand any hope of going above Birmingham and Middlesbrough, who are both two points above the Hatters with a much better goal difference.

Charlton Athletic's goal difference, therefore, means they will realistically be safe with a win even if the teams above them win, while it also means if they match Luton's result, a draw should also be enough.

Realistically Birmingham City and Middlesbrough just need a point to be safe as they are two points above the bottom three.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The relegation scrap is about as clear as mud, especially with the Wigan situation.

Shamelessly copied from BBC:

Hull City can only stay up if they win, Barnsley fail to win, Charlton and Luton both lose and the Tigers also make up a 16-goal swing in goal difference over the Addicks. In effect, they are relying on Wigan losing or drawing and then losing their appeal against the points deduction.

Barnsley, like Hull, must also win to have any chance of staying up and hope Charlton lose and Luton fail to win. If Charlton draw Barnsley would need to beat Brentford by 10 goals to go above the Addicks.

Luton Town could be safe with a draw, if Charlton lose. But they need to win to stand any hope of going above Birmingham and Middlesbrough, who are both two points above the Hatters with a much better goal difference.

Charlton Athletic's goal difference, therefore, means they will realistically be safe with a win even if the teams above them win, while it also means if they match Luton's result, a draw should also be enough.

Realistically Birmingham City and Middlesbrough just need a point to be safe as they are two points above the bottom three.

In an ideal world, all the results go against Middlesbrough, Wigan win their appeal and Boro go down to League 1. Stranger things have happened........

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm more tense about the final playoff spot. Hoping for a miracle where Cardiff lose to Hull and Swansea beat Reading.

Not sure if its because I still have some warm feelings for Swansea, or if its just my disliking of Cardiff that wants me to see this happen..

I'm always happy to see Reading lose.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I remember QPR against Citeh on the last day of the season. They played really well and were unlucky to lose. I’d love to seem them do a job on another Albion tonight for there must be only one in the Premier League.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well exciting top and bottom. Lovely to be an observer with so much at stake both ends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here