Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH. Is he good enough for the PL?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I believe we have an amazing quartet of TB, PB, CH, and PW (the quiet one backstage who has in my view been as important as anyone) that will a) consolidate top of bottom half Prem; b) push on to top half; c) WTF, I don't know how far they could go.....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't see how you can possibly know that.

I've got no opinion either way but people I know who follow Norwich say unequivocally that they were going down by that point and they were obviously closer to it than we were.

Whatever. There's no one I'd rather having managing Albion and if we go up I've got confidence we can stay there under CH.

I was as close as them.. CH followed Paul Lambert. That was his only crime at Norwich. He had lifted them from League 1 Oblivion. CH was never going to be able to follow that. Yes the Norwich fans had resigned themselves to going down a lot of them because their run in was Man Utd, Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.. Four points I think would have kept them up.

I would say to those Norwich fans. Why the hell do you want to be in the Premier League if you don't think you can take 4 points from that lot. You might as well not even be there with an attitude like that. CH thought he would have got the points needed.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Perhaps he would have done. None of us can possibly know though.

I would draw you attention to the first few paragraphs of your post #18

You seem only to willing to accept the opinions of Norwich fans and you seem to suggest that CH needs to learn lessons from what you seem to perceive as CHs failings in the PL in the past but slightly dismissive of CHs own views

That's a little strange but you are correct we will never ever know the answer to that question.

He had the smallest Budget in the PL, so I would say that his time there was a success under those circumstances.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I would draw you attention to the first few paragraphs of your post #18

You seem only to willing to accept the opinions of Norwich fans and you seem to suggest that CH needs to learn lessons from what you seem to perceive as CHs failings in the PL in the past but slightly dismissive of CHs own views

That's a little strange but you are correct we will never ever know the answer to that question.

He had the smallest Budget in the PL, so I would say that his time there was a success under those circumstances.

No, no - I'm not pointing out his failings - for all I know there weren't any. I didn't go and see Norwich play once that season (why would I?) so I don't know. All I've got to on is what I understand is the broad consensus among Norwich fans - which is that their side was too negative and tactically inflexible to survive. The saw themselves fail to win most of the 'six-pointers' against the other lower-table teams and concluded if they couldn't get the points they needed from those games there was no way they'd get them the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

My point is that - whether their criticisms are fair or not - CH is the kind of thoughtful, intelligent man who will have surely learned from previous experience in the PL and that will be to our benefit. Therefore I'd be confident if we went up.

(Point of order - when you say you were as close to this Norwich fans, do you mean you went to see lots of their games that year?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seen quite a few posts on various threads suggesting that PL pundits consider CH as a good championship manager but can't cut it in the PL.

IMHO, CH has been fantastic for us and he has shaped a team for the future. We have heard a few times on NSC and on other forums about how BHA have not got the best players but have got THE BEST TEAM, which is what has separated us from the rest and is key to any clubs success, (take a look at 'our friends up the road'). I don't think CH had the chance to shape a team like he has with us in the PL and I feel that IF we go up and he stays with us, he will prove them wrong. This is my belief, #KeepTheFaith.

Thoughts?

We'll find out next season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No, no - I'm not pointing out his failings - for all I know there weren't any. I didn't go and see Norwich play once that season (why would I?) so I don't know. All I've got to on is what I understand is the broad consensus among Norwich fans - which is that their side was too negative and tactically inflexible to survive. The saw themselves fail to win most of the 'six-pointers' against the other lower-table teams and concluded if they couldn't get the points they needed from those games there was no way they'd get them the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea.

My point is that - whether their criticisms are fair or not - CH is the kind of thoughtful, intelligent man who will have surely learned from previous experience in the PL and that will be to our benefit. Therefore I'd be confident if we went up.

(Point of order - when you say you were as close to this Norwich fans, do you mean you went to see lots of their games that year

I am saying nothing without my lawyer being present ?????

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
[QUOTE=crasher;7738941

This.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was as close as them.. CH followed Paul Lambert. That was his only crime at Norwich. He had lifted them from League 1 Oblivion. CH was never going to be able to follow that. Yes the Norwich fans had resigned themselves to going down a lot of them because their run in was Man Utd, Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.. Four points I think would have kept them up.

I would say to those Norwich fans. Why the hell do you want to be in the Premier League if you don't think you can take 4 points from that lot. You might as well not even be there with an attitude like that. CH thought he would have got the points needed.

I said earlier on this thread that the Norwich board publically undermined Hughton before Christmas that season which had a knock on effect with the fans and the players. I would place the relegation blame soley with their board.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, also irrespective of results IF we gain promotion I would guarantee CH the job for the whole season.

Very generous of you! For flecks sake Rome wasn't built in a day, think IF we gain promotion AND stay up then Chris Hughton should be given the keys to the city, not a timeframe of one season to achieve...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ultimately it's TB who will decide, not us. Personally I think he's a good fit at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here