Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic opening new safe standing section

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
But I don't think you'd get substantially more people coming to football matches (who aren't already coming). It'd just be the same people who already go, in the main, only paying less for the privilege. Which is why the clubs won't be keen: the only possible gain for them would be in terms of atmosphere.

I suppose clubs who are struggling to attract crowds might be more up for it: it might appeal to former fans who are staying away. And I guess if you're a club who regularly sells out games, then the chance to increase capacity and thus get more people inside the ground might be worth it.

But for clubs like the Albion, who already have decent crowds, who have a stadium regularly more than three quarters full, but not quite to capacity, it wouldn't make financial sense as far as I can see.

Think in the main it's the lower clubs that benefit,but it could work as you say to help attract older fans not coming or it could indirectly work as a loss leader to gaining new support,an atmosphere and a buzz in an area of the stadium that new fans could enjoy too,might see them come back and want more,it could work on a match by match basis rather than a season/half season ticket approach....if somehow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here