Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Celtic Champions & Hearts relegated

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Nope

They have been told in no uncertain terms, that they can leave the Leagues altogether if they don't like it

As if the Scottish leagues would want that, Hearts being one of the three clubs outside of the Old Firm that make the SPL look even vaguely credible, even if it isn’t remotely competitive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ok I get what the Simster last post is stating. Should Celtic and Rangers be invited to play in England like Cardiff and Swansea?

With TV money they would probably become a rival to the top English clubs with their fan base. If not then I don't see how anything changes north of the border.
Calling Dr. No.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As if the Scottish leagues would want that, Hearts being one of the three clubs outside of the Old Firm that make the SPL look even vaguely credible, even if it isn’t remotely competitive.

They kicked Rangers into the Bottom Division when they mismanaged Finances and defrauded the Government of Tax, so I doubt that Hearts Boris Johnson like ''Bluff and Bluster'' will phase them.

Scotland you can for sure slag off the Standard of the Football because it doesn't have the same amount of TV Money flowing into it ; however, because the TV Wealth isn't as great. The Authoritative Bodies are not dictated to the same extent by TV Companies. It allows them to make their own decisions for the most part.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Juventus have won the last 8 championships

Bayern the last 7

PSG 7 of the last 8

and in the last 7 seasons in Spain,no team outside of Barcelona or Madrid have finished in the top 3

and I wouldn't mind betting those current trends will continue

spot on. [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] mentioned bigotry in the scottish game his argument seems to be based on hatred of scottish football. He quotes a 35 year period but conveniently forgets that the current trend is showing dominance by fewer and fewer clubs who want to move to a super league.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
spot on. [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] mentioned bigotry in the scottish game his argument seems to be based on hatred of scottish football. He quotes a 35 year period but conveniently forgets that the current trend is showing dominance by fewer and fewer clubs who want to move to a super league.
His stats are right, but so are mine, and the point I made that he attempted to rebuff was that the difference in Scotland is that it is the very same two clubs who dominate - there has been no variance in 35 years. I think your top 3 figure does a better job of addressing that in fairness, although it does highlight the glaring inequality between the Old Firm and the rest of them.

Incidentally, I haven't conveniently forgotten anything, I am just sceptical of your assertion of what the current trend is. Where is the evidence that dominance by fewer and fewer clubs is happening, as opposed to the alternative view that the dominant clubs are simply the ones with more money than others, as has been the case since year dot? People have been saying this since the early 90s.

As for bigotry - I hate the old firm, but none of the other clubs. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder because I highlighted the Old Firm grew big in part off the back of bigotry. Are you seriously arguing this point? It seems very odd that you should compare religious bigotry in English football to this when it is clearly barely visible to anyone at all.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
They kicked Rangers into the Bottom Division when they mismanaged Finances and defrauded the Government of Tax, so I doubt that Hearts Boris Johnson like ''Bluff and Bluster'' will phase them.

The Rangers situation and what’s happening with Hearts now are hardly comparable though.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
As for bigotry - I hate the old firm, but none of the other clubs. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder because I highlighted the Old Firm grew big in part off the back of bigotry. Are you seriously arguing this point? It seems very odd that you should compare religious bigotry in English football to this when it is clearly barely visible to anyone at all.

I think regarding bigotry it depends how you define it. If you're talking specifically about religious intolerance, then I don't think there's a huge amount of that in the Glasgow rivalry. I don't think you'd meet many Celtic or Rangers fans who have any issue with Catholics or Protestants - in fact you'd probably struggle to find that many that even identify themselves as religious. If you mean more broadly in terms of identity and politics then I guess there is some there - British/Scottish/Irish, right-wing/left-wing, views on Northern Ireland etc. Religion itself is an accessory to all of that, rather than the root of it (at least in modern times) - even in Northern Ireland. And I can absolutely sympathise with anyone who wants none of that stuff involved in football.

I have always felt that English football is quite unique in that national and political issues are almost completely absent. In most European countries, there are clubs who are known for having overtly left/right-wing fanbases (St Pauli, Lazio), or where clubs represent a particular region or nation and the politics that goes with it (Barca - and then their opposites in Espanyol/Real Madrid). In many European cities you can ask someone "why do some people support X or Y", and the answer is X tended to be the working class club, Y was historically the middle class club (AC/Inter). To my knowledge, we don't have that in England. And as I said, perhaps many people feel that is for the best. But I don't think Glasgow is uniquely political/identity based.

Edit - just to add not suggesting that people are wrong for seeing bigotry in Glasgow, just offering my take.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just remembered I resolved a while back to stay out of these threads.

Good day all!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Rangers situation and what’s happening with Hearts now are hardly comparable though.

They are not comparable in the slightest but what I was responding to was your point as to whether the League would want that.

They wouldn't want it because Hearts are the 3rd Biggest Club in Scotland - But that doesn't mean that threat of Legal Challenges or them walking away from the League would make them alter their decision.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think regarding bigotry it depends how you define it. If you're talking specifically about religious intolerance, then I don't think there's a huge amount of that in the Glasgow rivalry. I don't think you'd meet many Celtic or Rangers fans who have any issue with Catholics or Protestants - in fact you'd probably struggle to find that many that even identify themselves as religious. If you mean more broadly in terms of identity and politics then I guess there is some there - British/Scottish/Irish, right-wing/left-wing, views on Northern Ireland etc. Religion itself is an accessory to all of that, rather than the root of it (at least in modern times) - even in Northern Ireland. And I can absolutely sympathise with anyone who wants none of that stuff involved in football.

I have always felt that English football is quite unique in that national and political issues are almost completely absent. In most European countries, there are clubs who are known for having overtly left/right-wing fanbases (St Pauli, Lazio), or where clubs represent a particular region or nation and the politics that goes with it (Barca - and then their opposites in Espanyol/Real Madrid). In many European cities you can ask someone "why do some people support X or Y", and the answer is X tended to be the working class club, Y was historically the middle class club (AC/Inter). To my knowledge, we don't have that in England. And as I said, perhaps many people feel that is for the best. But I don't think Glasgow is uniquely political/identity based.

Edit - just to add not suggesting that people are wrong for seeing bigotry in Glasgow, just offering my take.

I would disagree - Religious Bigotry is still very prevalent in Scotland

You are correct though. Very few who portray their Bigotry through Football. There are not many of them who are actually Religious and go to Chapels or Churches. It just seems to be a Genetically handed down hatred under the Guise of Religion.

There was a really funny story recently - Most of my friends growing up were Catholic, simply because I went to a Catholic school. But we had one guy who ran about with us who was Protestant.

Recently he appeared on Pointless on BBC 1 and he mentioned he was a Glasgow Rangers Fan. He got to the semi final and the question he got drastically wrong was about the Century that Queen Victoria ruled in the UK

We had of course had all joined a WhatsApp group do discuss his performance whilst all watching him on TV - The minute he got that question on Queen Victoria wrong. At least 4 people sent the same communal message instantly which was something along the lines of '' Typical - Unless it's question about King Billy, who wasn't even a F#ckin King - the Protestants know F#ck all about the Monarchy.

So some of the religious divide is ''Banter'' but in some household their is a real deep hatred on both sides and can be extremely nasty in some cases.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
His stats are right, but so are mine, and the point I made that he attempted to rebuff was that the difference in Scotland is that it is the very same two clubs who dominate - there has been no variance in 35 years. I think your top 3 figure does a better job of addressing that in fairness, although it does highlight the glaring inequality between the Old Firm and the rest of them.

Incidentally, I haven't conveniently forgotten anything, I am just sceptical of your assertion of what the current trend is. Where is the evidence that dominance by fewer and fewer clubs is happening, as opposed to the alternative view that the dominant clubs are simply the ones with more money than others, as has been the case since year dot? People have been saying this since the early 90s.

lost my edit... but to summarise . People keep kicking Scottish football and especially make comments regards Celtic v Rangers , I just find it strange . Yes they dominate their league and that is what makes it a poor competition ifyou are hoping to win but their league is by no means a closed shop. My point was that England is going the same way which is what you found as laughable even though most fans talk about a restricted closed shop TOP 6 (and yes there are exceptions). Some pies for you, make of them what you will.

first div.jpg

PL.jpg

epl 20.jpg

epl 15.jpg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Celtic up and running with a 5-1 result against the Accies. That must move them close to 600 goals scored against Hamilton since Hamilton were promoted to the Scottish top flight in 2014. Who says the SPL isn't competitive?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Celtic up and running with a 5-1 result against the Accies. That must move them close to 600 goals scored against Hamilton since Hamilton were promoted to the Scottish top flight in 2014. Who says the SPL isn't competitive?

Stat fart:

50 in 18 matches. One defeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here