Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Celebrating the amazing early (up to Joshua Tree) music of U2 and Bono

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Liked their early stuff, UBRS, October, Unforgettable and Joshua then it did become forgetable for me. In the days of record libraries.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
U2 in the 'early successful days' were a force of nature and a joy to behold live. Saw them six times in 1980-81.

First time was December 1980 at the Hammersmith Palais as support to Talking Heads, and it was obvious to all there that this was an exciting young band who were about to go places.

Second time was at the Lyceum on Feb 1, 1981, by which time their star was already starting to shine. It was their first-ever 'big' headline gig in London, and a sell out with another 1,000 unlucky people left outside without tickets. Main support was The Thompson Twins, back when they were also still good, when there were still 8 of them and before all the talented ones left. For their part, U2 knew that this gig meant they'd finally 'made it' and it showed in their performance. In my 44 years of gig going I don't think I've ever seen a band look so happy and enthusiastic on stage, and that energy really rubbed off onto the crowd. Was a brilliant night.

Next occasion was that summer, back at the Hammersmith Palais, but as the headliner this time (and for what it's worth, they were supported by 'love of my life' Clare Grogan and Altered Images).

I also saw them 3 times later in 1981 on the 'October' tour, once in Cardiff (supported by Comsat Angels) and twice at the Lyceum, supported both of those times by The Alarm.

All of those six gigs were superb. The only other time I saw them live was four years later at The Longest Day in Milton Keynes. They still weren't bad, but by then the ego rot was notably setting in. The day was more memorable for me for starting my long-lasting love affair with REM, about whom I previously knew little. They easily stole the day, even though the bored hardcore U2 fans down the front were showering them with plastic bottles full of piss (allegedly, history says, for spoiling the party mood by opening their set on a downbeat rather than upbeat note - i.e. with Feeling Gravity's Pull... Go figure).

I still like most of Joshua Tree, but it just wasn't the same after that. Nevertheless, as bollocks as they are now, U2 will always have a treasured place in my heart for those early memories.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pendant alert, not that I'm a fan of Whitesnake, but that's not actually true as they did not form until 78 and most of their hits were in the 80s.

And when they formed in 78 and had their hits in the 80s the emergence of punk (and then U2) made them redundant.

The same holds true for RAINBOW (formed in 75), and Def Leppard (77). And I say that as someone who likes (some) Def Leppard and have seen them live. None of these bands were remotely novel or part of the cutting edge, however. U2 were. :rock:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did like Achtung Baby, but got dragged along to watch them at Wembley. I've hated them ever since.

In the 90s my GF at the time wanted to see them at Wembley on the Zooropa tour. I dropped her and her mate off, went up to my old haunts in Edgware for a mooch, then picked them up later. After having previously agreed to join her for Bryan Adams, through gritted teeth, only to be rewarded some months later with 'guess what - I've got tickets for us to see him again!' I decided to be firm on this occasion. Anyway, not to spoil the mood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-jwwgtBwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XujbAGc2VEo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Saw them at the top rank. Brilliant gig.

Do you mean Jenkinsons? I wonder how many on here were at that gig? Needs a poll :rolleyes:

u2 and spizz.PNG

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Second time was at the Lyceum on Feb 1, 1981, by which time their star was already starting to shine. It was their first-ever 'big' headline gig in London, and a sell out with another 1,000 unlucky people left outside without tickets. Main support was The Thompson Twins, back when they were also still good, when there were still 8 of them and before all the talented ones left. For their part, U2 knew that this gig meant they'd finally 'made it' and it showed in their performance. In my 44 years of gig going I don't think I've ever seen a band look so happy and enthusiastic on stage, and that energy really rubbed off onto the crowd. Was a brilliant night.

I saw that one.

Unfortunately on my own as my mate had eaten to much black on the way there and had to go home to sleep it off.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Pendant alert, not that I'm a fan of Whitesnake, but that's not actually true as they did not form until 78 and most of their hits were in the 80s.

That's what I thought. I had a free ticket to see Whitesnake at the Dome ('79/80) .... it was a great evening, great atmosphere and really friendly audience :rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And when they formed in 78 and had their hits in the 80s the emergence of punk (and then U2) made them redundant.

The same holds true for RAINBOW (formed in 75), and Def Leppard (77). And I say that as someone who likes (some) Def Leppard and have seen them live. None of these bands were remotely novel or part of the cutting edge, however. U2 were. :rock:

I think you should do a 60 songs that saved my life list! I’d almost be willing to lay money that I’ve never heard of any of them :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Huge fan of U2 and seen them at Wembley a few times now over the years. Say what you like about Bono, but they put on a bloody good show!

For those who are more into U2's old stuff, Bonos sons band Inhaler are worth a listen to...great tunes & Eli looks and sounds just like his old man.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I love most or all of the aforementioned, but from very early U2 that hasn't been already name-checked, I'll choose A Day Without Me from their first album Boy.

It's all about a person not being there any more and the impact of that through suicide, and was later dedicated to Joy Division's Ian Curtis.

The 40th anniversary of the death of Curtis will be in a week's time from today - 18th May - which also happens to be my birthday.

"Our emotions aren’t just glossy, throwaway things."
(Bono, NME, 1982)

"I started a landslide in my ego
Looked from the outside to the world I left behind
In the world I left behind
Wipe their eyes and then let go
In the world I left behind
Shed a tear and let love go..."

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I have read the first line of your opening post about 4 times now and I'm still confused.
The same with the first line of this one. :shrug: sorry if I'm missing something.
Are you actually saying U2 made Whitesnake redundant in the 80s?
[MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION] post #29 is also confused I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here