Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CBs

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Well done for standing up for Burn - as I said in another thread, I really don't buy into this manic nonsense stated by some that he is not even Sunday League standard, and certainly don't support the childishly vicious personal abuse that some are brave enough to hurl at him from their keyboards.

One small point though - the team selection was fine, and we managed Traore very well for the first third of the game. However, we switched March to the right wing (as has happened many times before) and instead of having Burn and March double-teaming Traore out of the game, we suddenly had Burn one on one with a guy who has shown he can be one of the best wingers in the PL. Trossard was nowhere near him when he skipped past Burn and ran into the box. Had Trossard done his job, Traore would likely have continued to get no joy down the wing, and would have been forced to come far more central (as happened when March reverted back to the left).

So - a tactical switch of wingers (most teams do this), a blistering winger (Traore), and Burn isolated one on one - not team selection.

Wait till Lamptey is fit again and see what happens when the opposition's usual double-teaming of him fails, for whatever reason, and then consider whether it is team selection, or individuals not carrying out their role as they should.

I don't follow other team's message boards, but do they all go into meltdown and blame the manager when a player fails to do his job and support a team mate?

(Not a personal pop at you - I am just so exasperated at the meltdown of some on this board. I used to think this was a supporter's forum, but I am starting to have a few doubts.)

Couldn't agree more with this.

Dan Burn was playing LB against a world quality player. I really rate Burn, but I think we can all agree he's not a world quality LB. Trossard left him exposed, was always going to be tough.

When our players (Lamptey) do well, they are geniuses and ready to play for England. When others players do well against us we vilify our own players...

We need to sign a Lamptey quality player for the left side. Simple as. Until then Burn + March combined is the best we have.

If the manager is choosing Burn over Bernardo there's a good reason for it. Bernardo is not the answer.

Burn made a mistake bringing down Traore but these things happen.

What's good to see is the manager changed tactics, players and formation in the second half to nullify that threat and make us the better team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mr Swansman, diverging slightly from the LB discussion....... How far away do you think GP is from having the players he would like to play in his preferred style. LB seems obvious. You've mentioned that he's often had a tall, strong guy up front. Anything else that we are missing. Are we short of pace for his preferred style? Does he prefer pace in passing, or pace in running. We seem short of someone who is prepared to run at players, which I'm guessing would be a requirement too?

Appreciate your thoughts based on what he's done in the past.

If we look at his "finalised" ÖFK squad 2016-2018 it had the players to play 3-4-3 / 3-5-2 / 4-3-3 / 4-4-2... meaning a lot of players able to play in multiple positions. Some players played both as wingers and wing backs, some played as both centre backs and full backs, strikers that could play as wingers or centrally. What this squad is mainly missing compared to the ÖFK squad is a strong, tall striker and one or two pacy wingers preferably also able to play either as CF or as wingers. Players need to be able to play in multiple roles and its difficult to know who can and who cant in the current squad.

The obvious thing missing as I see it is a pacy player that likes to operate on the wings and a physically strong (yet mobile) striker.

boik

If we look at his "finalised" ÖFK squad 2016-2018 it had the players to play 3-4-3 / 3-5-2 / 4-3-3 / 4-4-2... meaning a lot of players able to play in multiple positions. Some players played both as wingers and wing backs, some played as both centre backs and full backs, strikers that could play as wingers or centrally. What this squad is mainly missing compared to the ÖFK squad is a strong, tall striker and one or two pacy wingers preferably also able to play either as CF or as wingers. Players need to be able to play in multiple roles and its difficult to know who can and who cant in the current squad.

The obvious thing missing as I see it is a pacy player that likes to operate on the wings and a physically strong (yet mobile) striker.

Cheers Swanny. Pretty much as we saw it then. Wonder who we can find to fill those gaps. Possibly Izquierdo if he gets back to full fitness. Not sure if we can find a good strong CF on our budget.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Just play lamptey as a full back would that not be the answer
I think we would be much more effective with a back 4

Well it would help if he was fit !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here