Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Caxton Arms?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They used to do nice Thai food in there in the early Amex days.

Nice to hear it is still standing.
Whats the connection between pubs and Thai food l wonder? Quite a few Sussex pubs, and probably those further afield, went through a stage of opening Thai restaurants on their premises some years ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whats the connection between pubs and Thai food l wonder? Quite a few Sussex pubs, and probably those further afield, went through a stage of opening Thai restaurants on their premises some years ago.
I think Thai food wasn't popular enough to necessarily be opening restaurants in their own right, and many pubs struggle to manage and maintain their own food offering. So it made sense a Thai chef or business could pay a rent or percentage of their income to the pub who just left all the food to them, plus also had a bit of a unique offer compared to other pubs. Made good business sense.

The pub I'm thinking of going to for the semi-final, The Masons Arms just down from Gt Portland Street has been doing Thai for the best part of 20 years I think.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Thai food wasn't popular enough to necessarily be opening restaurants in their own right, and many pubs struggle to manage and maintain their own food offering. So it made sense a Thai chef or business could pay a rent or percentage of their income to the pub who just left all the food to them, plus also had a bit of a unique offer compared to other pubs. Made good business sense.

The pub I'm thinking of going to for the semi-final, The Masons Arms just down from Gt Portland Street has been doing Thai for the best part of 20 years I think.
Makes perfect sense, thank you!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Glad it’s nothing serious.
I was a regular there for over 10 years. Some friends of mine owned it at one stage not that long ago. We all spent a weekend painting and sorting out the back patio area a few years ago.
I’m guessing Brett bought it directly after them.

Anyway, good news.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

doesnt really explain why Thai, not other tastes. seems a fad that stuck, seen in very odd backwater to fancy west end pubs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One theory from trip advisor

“The trend for Thai food really took off in the 1990s, which was the decade when Thailand became established as a backpacker destination for young Brits. So cafes/pubs/restaurants serving noodles sprang up in the inexpensive parts of London, like Stoke Newington, Camden & Brixton, where young people lived & there was a demand for the cheap, healthy, tasty food they'd discovered while travelling. You used to get some traditional "greasy spoon" cafes renting out their premises to Thai people at night too.

There's never been largescale Thai immigration here, so there were few established Thai businesses to absorb and support newcomers. I think it's likely, then, that new Thai immigrants, being very entrepreneurial, seized on the trend and did deals with pubs and cafes to use their premises and so avoid the initial outlay/risk of setting up their own restaurants”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here