Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Catherine Mckinnnell resigns from shadow cabinet, cites Corbyn/Labour's direction

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
She should leave the Party and not the cabinet if she is disillusioned by the direction it is going in but NO she won't do that because that means giving up a decent annual salary. I have no time for these attention seeking MPS who have no doubt been promised places in a future Cabinet i they help to discredit Corbyn.

I think what she has quoted is hypocrytical. There is no one more likely in politics to help the underprivileged than Corbyn. Consequently instead of trying to undermine the Leader they should support him. He may well be un electable but we don't know that yet and i think the Public could surprise everyone come the next Election.

She got her seat on the coat tails of being a Labour Candidate so support the Party, Ms Mc Kinnell, not just your wallet and your ego

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So this thread should not have been started by the OP (who he) and the Environment agency story should only have one thread. Apologies I didn't realise you were the arbiter of what topics and how many threads per issue could be posted on NSC.

Good news though apparently my fears about that unknown disease were unfounded ... http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ent-and-HMRC-both-resign-smameron-losing-grip ... although for some strange reason some posters on this new thread seem determined to talk about Corbyn then complain about it, oh the irony !!

I'm not an arbiter, I gave my opinion. Take it or leave it, you don't have to make some weird sarcastic apology.

I've not posted about Corbyn on the other thread, so not entirely sure who you are talking about.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seeing as nothing has happened since last week it is obvious that this nobody resigning from a nothing job is nothing more than an attention seeker a bit like the OP and his political threads

A 'nobody' that Jeremy Corbyn had chosen to be in his shadow cabinet.

I think you're being a bit disrespectful there.

Are you able to indicate where the line is that divides the Labour 'somebodies' from the 'nobodies' please?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She should leave the Party and not the cabinet if she is disillusioned by the direction it is going in but NO she won't do that because that means giving up a decent annual salary. I have no time for these attention seeking MPS who have no doubt been promised places in a future Cabinet i they help to discredit Corbyn.

I think what she has quoted is hypocrytical. There is no one more likely in politics to help the underprivileged than Corbyn. Consequently instead of trying to undermine the Leader they should support him. He may well be un electable but we don't know that yet and i think the Public could surprise everyone come the next Election.

She got her seat on the coat tails of being a Labour Candidate so support the Party, Ms Mc Kinnell, not just your wallet and your ego

The first highlighted statement isn't compatible with the second. He is a disaster for the underprivileged as his incompetent leadership leading Labour away from electability virtually guarantees Tory Government for the foreseeable future.

And it's a bit rich calling for Ms Mckinnel to follow the party line not her ego. How many times did Corbyn defy the Labour party whip? (Answer is in the hundreds) But of course when he did it it's principled .... :rolleyes:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A 'nobody' that Jeremy Corbyn had chosen to be in his shadow cabinet.

I think you're being a bit disrespectful there.

Are you able to indicate where the line is that divides the Labour 'somebodies' from the 'nobodies' please?

Perhaps Corbyn needs a bit of management coaching from Sir Alex. Strikes me that his cabinet is an appeasement strategy, not a cabinet of his own choosing, but to try to keep the party united. Individuals such as Catherine McKinnell then appear to be using carefully timed resignations for their own purposes. She couldn't have resigned when the reshuffle was happening, or straight after? Has she really take over a week to clarify her thoughts on being in his Shadow Cabinet?

Not sure Corbyn can take the party forwards, but I am angry at the media killing him before he's even got a chance, hence my annoyance at thread after thread, about it. I'm not even a Corbyn supporter, but I like to see someone given a fair chance and it doesn't appear to be happening.

To be completely balanced, a similar fate happened to William Hague by the British media, we potentially lost a very bright, moderate tory because of the media portrayal of him. I actually liked him, but the media had their say and what did the Tories get.....Iain Duncan Smith...:facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not an arbiter, I gave my opinion. Take it or leave it, you don't have to make some weird sarcastic apology.

I've not posted about Corbyn on the other thread, so not entirely sure who you are talking about.

That's good to know in future I will just ignore it then.

Your first post on that thread reintroduced the topic of Corbyn's shadow cabinet your next few were about this thread, then you complained about it then suggested posters get back on topic .... as i said ironic!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Top post , sums up the hypocrisy of all these attention seekers

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The first highlighted statement isn't compatible with the second. He is a disaster for the underprivileged as his incompetent leadership leading Labour away from electability virtually guarantees Tory Government for the foreseeable future.

And it's a bit rich calling for Ms Mckinnel to follow the party line not her ego. How many times did Corbyn defy the Labour party whip? (Answer is in the hundreds) But of course when he did it it's principled .... :rolleyes:

Have to agree with JC here. She was elected as a candidate for a different Labour party. It was ok for Corbyn not to vote for the party he belonged to when he was on the back bench so why should those that don't toe his line be forced to leave? She represents all of her constituents. Just for your info NooBHA, her salary is not paid by the labour party. If she resigned from the party she would still be an MP. Can't help think that if all the labour MPs that didn't vote for Corbyn resigned from the party and became independent then the SNP would probably be the official opposition!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Isn't she a North-East MP ?

No idea why she would want to be part of the GLC shadow cabinet !

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Have to agree with JC here. She was elected as a candidate for a different Labour party. It was ok for Corbyn not to vote for the party he belonged to when he was on the back bench so why should those that don't toe his line be forced to leave? She represents all of her constituents. Just for your info NooBHA, her salary is not paid by the labour party. If she resigned from the party she would still be an MP. Can't help think that if all the labour MPs that didn't vote for Corbyn resigned from the party and became independent then the SNP would probably be the official opposition!

Even more reason to leave the Party if she is not happy with the direction it is going in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even more reason to leave the Party if she is not happy with the direction it is going in.

Or you stay and fight for what direction you want the party to go in. Corbyn did that for many years without leaving. Why do you think it was right for him and not for her (and plenty of others!)?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Or you stay and fight for what direction you want the party to go in. Corbyn did that for many years without leaving. Why do you think it was right for him and not for her (and plenty of others!)?

If that was the case than she can do that more effectively from within the Shadow Cabinet. What she has done, she has done to discredit the Leader publicly. She knew the media were monitoring every move surrounding Corbyn and knew that her resignation would be headline news. She can dress it up any way she likes with her moral high ground resignation statement but most of the public and and reasonably intelligent people within politics can see through that statement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here