Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Catering - no water on the hottest day of the year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do you ask for 2 Oasis', 2 Oasis's, 2 Oasises or 2 Oasi?

I got caught in a 'loop of drivel', and didn't know what to say, as usual :lolol:

You ask for an Oasis and a Beady Eye.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Yes a moan. It might seem trivial given what happened at Shoreham and the fact that we are going from strength to strength on the pitch, but as far as I'm concerend the catering is far worse that it has been in the past. However, yesterday it caused me a genuine issue.

If I have to live without a half time pint or queue for five minutes to get my first one that's fine. I can go from 2pm to 6pm without eating as well, just as I do every other day of the week. However, when my eight year old son asks for a bottle of water because he's overheating I expect to be able to get one and yesterday I couldn't.

I queued at the North end of the WSU at half time to get a hot dog and water for him and they had neither. Missing out on the hot dog just meant the club had lost our on a very small amount of income but missing out on the water meant I couldn't cool him down, The middle kiosk didn't have any either, nor could I get some in the West Lower after the game (though there was plenty of left over food down there, the very opposite to the WSU).

Did no one at Sodexo check the weather forecast? Hmm, it's going to be a bit warm, maybe we should get some extra water in? It's not f***ing difficult, the same eight year old that couldn't be rehydrated can check it up on my smartphone. Not having water available in such heat is, to me, a serious breach of the club's health and safety responsibilities. If tap water is available in the kiosks then they most certainly didn't offer it.

Sorry, so did you actually ask for tap water? It seems that everybody who did got some so I don't see there is an issue other than the fact you didn't think to ask? And not being funny but on a day like yesterday I would always have water with me for my boy as there is always a chance bottles will sell out at any retailer when it is unexpectedly hot.

Just seems like another reason to have a moan when there really isn't much to moan about?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I enjoyed several pints of lovely, free tap water. Well done Sodexo!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
So the conclusion is club run out of bottle water, but many fans found out you can now get free tap water.:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
OP is right to feel like a plank.

Didn't take his own water for his lad and then didn't think to ask for tap water but is happy to berate a server because he didn't offer it. Lesson learned one feels!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did no one at Sodexo check the weather forecast? Hmm, it's going to be a bit warm, maybe we should get some extra water in? It's not f***ing difficult, the same eight year old that couldn't be rehydrated can check it up on my smartphone. Not having water available in such heat is, to me, a serious breach of the club's health and safety responsibilities. If tap water is available in the kiosks then they most certainly didn't offer it.
Sorry GB I can't let this final paragraph go.

As others have said where does your responsibility as a parent end?
Why are Sodexo liable and you're not?
Did you see or even post on HB&B's 'is it going to be the hottest game ever' thread?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So the conclusion is club run out of bottle water, but many fans found out you can now get free tap water.:thumbsup:

You always have been able to get free tap water, as mentioned above it's a licensing condition.

Dec 29, 2011
It does pose the question if you ask for tap water even when they bottled water are they obliged to give it to you (as restaurants are)?

Restaurants and places that serve food aren't actually required by law to give free water, only places which hold a license to serve alcohol on the premises. If they refuse there is a fine of up to £5,000 for the duty manager at the time (yes a personal fine!).

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Got the last bottles of water on arrival in East Lower. At half time I had the free tap water they offered as an alternative. No problem as far as I'm concerned and saved £1.70 too! However the op should have been offered the tap water as an alternative.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
TAKE YOUR OWN, you are responsible for your nipper and you knew it was going to be hot.

Sorry GB I can't let this final paragraph go.

As others have said where does your responsibility as a parent end?
Why are Sodexo liable and you're not?
Did you see or even post on HB&B's 'is it going to be the hottest game ever' thread?

And this is exactly why you should never start a thread on NSC. Every clever arse in the world will be on your back in seconds.

1) We took bottled water on the train over and got some before kick off too but he wanted more and complained of being hot. It literally hadn't occurred to me that the kiosks would be out. The train journey over was also a pain in the butt because they loaded the 14.02 before the 13.52 and both left late. The air con only kicked in when the train left Brighton.

2) He asked me for a bottle of water so, rather than work out if there was a tap and if it was potable I went to another kiosk which had also run out. When I went back to say there wasn't any someone else shared theirs.

Thanks for the parenting advice., I'm sure you're all perfect and have never made a mistake in your lives. Enjoy queueing for 15 minutes only to get nothing of what you're after for the rest of the season because, if no one starts theses threads you'll get the shitty service you deserve.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think they are trying to get the catering right it oftern little things that cause problems like the mobile bar saying it had run out of change the water should have had space on each counter just giving out tap water on a day like yesterday good PR but I thought the game was entertaining and I wonder how much weight the players lost playing in the heat yesterday.
However my thoughts are with the families who have been affected by the Accident at Shoreham Air Show.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
TAKE YOUR OWN, you are responsible for your nipper and you knew it was going to be hot.

so you've down voted this comment Guinness Boy, but essentially you're saying that Sodexo should check the weather forecast and prepare, so that you dont have to. you're defering responsibility for your subsistance to a catering company.

if you'd asked for tap water and been refused, you'd have a good point. as you didnt ask it makes this rant a bit of an odd one.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
It had been known for a few days Saturday was going to be hot. One of the biggest mark-up's Sodexo can make must be on water. It is very surprising they didn't prepare for it because they have cost themselves a fortune.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the parenting advice., I'm sure you're all perfect and have never made a mistake in your lives.
This is exactly my point.

My parenting skills are far from perfect.
But instead of blaming Sodexo for not having water, when I've screwed up in this very situation before, I've thought:-

'bollox I didn't take enough drink for such a hot day, god that's such bad parenting'.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here