Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Category A prices for Arsenal FA Cup 4th round...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Like it or not, this is the going rate these days for a (very rare) match against one of the biggest football clubs in Europe. We don't get the chance to see the Albion against this calibre of opposition very often, so of course its going to be Cat A pricing. If your wider view is that football in general has become too expensive for the average punter then I don't think many would argue. But the club have kept to their pre-defined category pricing (when usually the biggest Cat A game we'd see is junk like Leeds), so as far as I'm concerned its a case of take it or leave it. Shit the bed, I paid £36 for Ipswich away last season. I paid £30 for Fulham last week, and it was probably the best £30 I spent in 2014 - PLUS I was paying train fares and £5 a pint in Putney. So £36 for my WSU seat (+1.50 or whatever) when it includes travel, to see us play Arsenal...absolute no brainer.

These are the special games that come along, the memorable ones. Have a grizzle about it all you like, but I certainly wouldn't swap my place in the WSU, for your place whinging into your pint about ticket prices whilst sat on a barstool in front of BT Sport, probably blowing the thick end of £20 on some fizzy yellow piss for the pleasure.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Perhaps you should go and support a team whose ticket prices do represent good value.

This debate about prices is pointless. You don't HAVE to go. My advice would be, if you can afford to buy a ticket then you should go. If you can't then don't.

I can afford to go, but choose not to. Cat A prices for a competition that clubs treat as Cat B. Laughable

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Like it or not, this is the going rate these days for a (very rare) match against one of the biggest football clubs in Europe. We don't get the chance to see the Albion against this calibre of opposition very often, so of course its going to be Cat A pricing. If your wider view is that football in general has become too expensive for the average punter then I don't think many would argue. But the club have kept to their pre-defined category pricing (when usually the biggest Cat A game we'd see is junk like Leeds), so as far as I'm concerned its a case of take it or leave it. Shit the bed, I paid £36 for Ipswich away last season. I paid £30 for Fulham last week, and it was probably the best £30 I spent in 2014 - PLUS I was paying train fares and £5 a pint in Putney. So £36 for my WSU seat (+1.50 or whatever) when it includes travel, to see us play Arsenal...absolute no brainer.

These are the special games that come along, the memorable ones. Have a grizzle about it all you like, but I certainly wouldn't swap my place in the WSU, for your place whinging into your pint about ticket prices whilst sat on a barstool in front of BT Sport, probably blowing the thick end of £20 on some fizzy yellow piss for the pleasure.

As opposed to the fizzy yellow piss they serve in the Amex :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Utter rubbish. The match by match prices for league matches are a disgrace as well.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Just surprised that people are specifically uptight about this one, as though there was any chance it was going to be lower.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't get to many games so happy to pay top price for this if I can go. Only stumbling block is I have my 9 year old daughter with me who is not a football fan. She actually asked to go to a game last season so for her first game I took her to the 1-1 draw against Blackpool, expecting an easy victory and a few goals, should have known better :ffsparr: Surprise surprise she hasn't asked to go again.

This could be a hard sell !!

At that age, its not about the quality of the game or the scoreline, it all about the spectacle, the experience of the day. They either take to it or they don't. The Blackpool game could have been a 4-2 classic, and you might still get the lukewarm, wrinkled-nose reaction from your little girl at the suggestion of going to the next game.

My lads first season ticket was 2008 when he was 11. A god-awful season under Micky Adams MKII, sat exposed to the elements in the South Stand. A traumatic, DISMAL season of quite epic proportions, one which I feared would put him off the Albion for life. He's had a season ticket ever since, and has barely missed a home game in that 7 years since.

If one poor match puts them off, then they're probably just not yet ready for supporting this club.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't get me wrong, I agree. Just surprised that people are specifically uptight about this one, as though there was any chance it was going to be lower.

I think it's just that most of us don't get charged these prices, or anything like, for other games, so it just highlights to us how outrageous the match by match prices are.

It's a general reaction to those prices, rather than being related to this specific match.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
As someone who works Saturdays, it isn't the lure of Arsenal that means I badly want to go - it's the fact it's a Sunday. I'd have happily taken my daughter to see Rotherham for a day at the Albion together, we just haven't had any Sundays of late or any looming in the league. So it's into the mad scramble for two tickets and top dollar, but as a one-off it would be well worth it.

But I'm another one who thinks those prices for a Championship matchday are absolutely ludicrous, and more unforgiveable than for this tie.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Why the comments about the potential for 2 reserve teams? We played pretty much our strongest side in the last round and last time Arsenal came to town didn't they start Giroud, Walcott, Cazorla, Ox, Podolski etc?

for what it's worth I think it was totally expected and considering we paid £35 for Norwich, £30 Fulham and £28 Charlton it's really not bad - saying that I can understand people who would rather stay in the boozer and watch.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Amazes me the amount of posters on here are whinging about the price of one game game, more than likely the same posters who have moaned like f@ck that we are not in the Premiership yet.

Hmmm, wonder what the pricing will be like every game, when we do get there........

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
WHY do people come out with this complete nonsense about going to support another team?

I think you've missed the point. That is exactly what I was implying - it's nonsense. You don't support a team because of the prices they charge at the gate. And you don't have to go to every game to support your team. There will probably come a point when I won't be able to afford paying for season tickets for me and my two kids. When that happens I won't go as much. But it won't make me any less of a supporter.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I can afford to go, but choose not to. Cat A prices for a competition that clubs treat as Cat B. Laughable

Thats why Arsenal have fielded strong teams in all their recent cup games then, also new manager for us - so there is no proof that we wont be taking it seriously - Mr Barber will probably want us going for it - a good cup run can be financially rewarding, not to mention beating Arsenal would give the players a massive high.

Arsenal as holders wont want to be dumped out as they have no other chance of winning a trophy either*, we will be going for a win too, as shown by the line-up vs Brentford which was full-strength.

*=Lets be honest, they wont win the Premier League or Champions League........and 4th place doesnt get trophy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Quick question. If you want to sit with another STH you don't normally sit with, is it possible to re-locate to other unreserved seats elsewhere in the ground during the STH only booking period ?

Does anyone know how to add people to friends and family on the list ?

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
At that age, its not about the quality of the game or the scoreline, it all about the spectacle, the experience of the day. They either take to it or they don't. The Blackpool game could have been a 4-2 classic, and you might still get the lukewarm, wrinkled-nose reaction from your little girl at the suggestion of going to the next game.

My lads first season ticket was 2008 when he was 11. A god-awful season under Micky Adams MKII, sat exposed to the elements in the South Stand. A traumatic, DISMAL season of quite epic proportions, one which I feared would put him off the Albion for life. He's had a season ticket ever since, and has barely missed a home game in that 7 years since.

If one poor match puts them off, then they're probably just not yet ready for supporting this club.

Yep agreed, hopefully the atmosphere will be electric, also when I go, I always go in the North (Goldstone hangup !!) but we were in the family stand, right in the corner close to the pitch so awful view, that definitely didn't help either. It'll be the North for us if I can persuade her !!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep agreed, hopefully the atmosphere will be electric, also when I go, I always go in the North (Goldstone hangup !!) but we were in the family stand, right in the corner close to the pitch so awful view, that definitely didn't help either. It'll be the North for us if I can persuade her !!

Good luck then chap. A great day out with her dad will probably mean more than the quality of the game, although a great atmosphere will help ! You're putting her on the right track anyway :thumbsup:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

This sums it up for me.

I remember when we played Liverpool in the 4th Round 1984, a rare-as-hens-teeth Sunday live game on ITV but I travelled down from Uni in the Midlands because the previous year I was there when we beat them at Anfield and even a small chance we might do it again was worth the cost I couldn't afford. It remains my best ever game at the Goldstone.

I do struggle to comprehend those with five figure post-counts who are constantly moaning, being negative and, as far as I can tell, rarely going to games. If you're that uncommitted, find something else to do with your time than lurking and posting on here. In short, get a life. God knows, I waste enough time on here with my pathetic 2k post count, but at least I do actually go to games and support the team.

PG

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012

Post of the week

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I do struggle to comprehend those with five figure post-counts who are constantly moaning, being negative and, as far as I can tell, rarely going to games. If you're that uncommitted, find something else to do with your time than lurking and posting on here. In short, get a life. God knows, I waste enough time on here with my pathetic 2k post count, but at least I do actually go to games and support the team.

PG

Spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here