Cat dilemma

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
So the cat came in yesterday limping, unable to put any weight on rear left foot. The last time this happened, it was the front right foot. On that occasion, a female induced panic ensued, cat was rushed to the vet (emergency Sunday appointment), examined, told nothing visible or obvious but to return in 24 hours. Meanwhile, pumped full of vitamins, fluids etc. 12 hours later: cat is walking perfectly normally, I'm £150 out of pocket.

So this time: do I hold off and let the cat get over it? Or straight down the vet when I get home? There is no obvious damage though he squeaked when I squeezed it.

Suggestions? (and before you say it, Mrs CG would not eat cat pie so that would not be a good place to start)
CG

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Our cats have come home simalar to this before. An afternoon snoozing on the sofa and dinner generally cure them!

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Just give him extra food and then if he is still in pain tomorrow go to the vets

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I would tend to leave it be for a short while and see what happens as it doesn't sound like there's an open wound or a risk of infection from what you say

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
could be arthritis had this with our dog who is only 5 and the cold weather brings it on more , try some greenleaf tablets , cant hurt.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
It's probably jumped and landed funny - I'd leave it until tomorrow and see what happens!

laughing-cat-240.jpg

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I would tend to leave it be for a short while and see what happens as it doesn't sound like there's an open wound or a risk of infection from what you say

Yes, no open wound, nothing in pads: paw looks perfect in every way

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just recently had this with one of my cats... She acted like a proper tart but within 24 hours she was back to normal... See how yours goes for 24 hours, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So the cat came in yesterday limping, unable to put any weight on rear left foot. The last time this happened, it was the front right foot. On that occasion, a female induced panic ensued, cat was rushed to the vet (emergency Sunday appointment), examined, told nothing visible or obvious but to return in 24 hours. Meanwhile, pumped full of vitamins, fluids etc. 12 hours later: cat is walking perfectly normally, I'm £150 out of pocket.

So this time: do I hold off and let the cat get over it? Or straight down the vet when I get home? There is no obvious damage though he squeaked when I squeezed it.

Suggestions? (and before you say it, Mrs CG would not eat cat pie so that would not be a good place to start)
CG

Is the cat called vicente? My cat only gets ill on sunday loves the double time.... I now have a policy of waiting 24 hours with any cat related injury unless blood is pumping out of them... they seem to have amazing powers of recovery.....

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Mum used to have a cat that playacted everytime they went on holiday,when he saw the suitcases a sudden limp ensued which often caused minor panic but everything was always ok he next day

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

CG

Get another cat the one you have got is obviously a sicknote:D

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok, I'm talking dogs not cats, but Jack Russells and some other Terriers are well known for giving it the back leg hop that looks like a painful limp when there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. It's just an affectation I think. Not saying your cat is doing the same thing, but just thought I'd mention it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mum used to have a cat that playacted everytime they went on holiday,when he saw the suitcases a sudden limp ensued which often caused minor panic but everything was always ok he next day

My Auntie & Uncle had a wire haired terrier called Max years ago that got hit by a car and had a metal pin put in his front leg as a result. Whenever we went to visit their house Max would be all over you for fuss and attention. As soon as you stopped giving him the fuss & attention out would come the limp. Amazing thing to see, how he could turn on the limp as & when it suited him just to try to get his own way :lol:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Exactly this happened to my cat 'Basil', he was limping like a good un. Took him to the vets turned out he had a broken knee, cost me a grand!

PET INSURANCE IS THE WORD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports