Cat advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Definitely echo the sentiments about rescuing, and plenty of kittens and young cats that need rescuing too, so don't let that put you off if you were wanting one from a young age.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Cats should be banned. They shit all over your garden and leave other people to have to clear it up. If cats ever come in my garden I spray them with the hose.

We all make a song and dance about dog owners clearing up behind their dogs but have no problem with letting cats crap all over the place. What's that all about?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Cats should be banned. They shit all over your garden and leave other people to have to clear it up. If cats ever come in my garden I spray them with the hose.

We all make a song and dance about dog owners clearing up behind their dogs but have no problem with letting cats crap all over the place. What's that all about?

I always thought you were a bit of a t**t now you have confirmed it
who clears up your horse shit then

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

contrary to common belief , it is possible to train cats..........both our cats are fed dry biscuits and are kept in at night , they usually use their litter tray before they are allowed out in the morning.....

the dry biscuits produce a firm stool which is easily deposited into the dust-bin.

as usual it is the owners who are to blame for pet miss-behaviour.........there is nothing quite as disgusting as a foot full of dog shit imho.........is that the dogs fault or the filthy morons who don't pick it up...?

i would say get two cats.......brother and sister if poss......they have a remarkable bond.

as for the get a dog comment.........yep , get one if you wan't your garden dug up , are prepared to exercise it for 2 hrs a day minimum and like handling plopps.....!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have 2 rescue cats an I love them to bits. They were about 9 months old when I got them from Worthing Cat Rescue. Needed cost too much to run foodwise, I prefer to give mine rather more costly stuff than what's in the average cheap cat food - mine get some sliced roast turkey from the deli counter at Sainsburys every week, but that's a bit of a luxury (and they absolutely love it).

I have insurance for them, not used it yet and that can be a bit costly, definitely shop around.

I got 2 as I'm out of the house for 14 hours a day, so they keep each other company.

I do like to think I know a little about the subject, my parents owned a dog boarding kennels and cattery so I was brought up surrounded by them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have 2 rescue cats an I love them to bits. They were about 9 months old when I got them from Worthing Cat Rescue. Needed cost too much to run foodwise, I prefer to give mine rather more costly stuff than what's in the average cheap cat food - mine get some sliced roast turkey from the deli counter at Sainsburys every week, but that's a bit of a luxury (and they absolutely love it).

I have insurance for them, not used it yet and that can be a bit costly, definitely shop around.

I got 2 as I'm out of the house for 14 hours a day, so they keep each other company.

I do like to think I know a little about the subject, my parents owned a dog boarding kennels and cattery so I was brought up surrounded by them.

so we are not the only ones who spoil our cats then
only difference is chicken from ASDA

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My Daughter got our cat from RSPCA at Patcham at about 1 year old. They have normally made an assessment of the Cat and will tell you if they are good with children, lively, quiet etc. They told us that she had been kept with lots of other cats and hadn't had a lot of contact with Humans, probably not good with small kids (my daughter was about 13 at the time).

When we got her home she would turn into a hissing ball of teeth and claws with no apparent warning. Talked to RSPCA and they told us to try for a few more weeks. After 2-3 months she calmed down and now (3 years later) is incredibly affectionate. She can still do the teeth and claws thing whenever another cat or fox come into the garden.

On costs, allow for Pet Insurance, food (our cat has got more picky as she has gone on and seems to only like the most expensive types !) and boarding for holidays (adds about £80-£100 a week to any holiday we go on).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My cat has had a few recent visits to the vet, who has been great. She said as he has been so poorly, give him what he likes to eat. Unfortunately, she said it in front of the cat, who took it literally and is now eating anything and everything 4 or 5 times a day plus cat milk for extra nourishment to build him up. Not to mention ice cream, cheese, yoghurt, chicken and anything he can get his paws on. Beware, cats are smart and have great hearing!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
so we are not the only ones who spoil our cats then
only difference is chicken from ASDA

:) i do assume the cheaper cat foods contain modtly rubbish, but I don't know. I have noticed the better quality food
I give them, they then turn their noses up at anything cheaper (stuff they used to eat).

Funny one the other day, I thought I'd give them Sheeba tuna for a change, so not the cheapest, they both smelt it and looked up at me to say "we're not eating THAT" .... so I had to throw it and give them something they liked. Definitely spoilt, but I love doing it - they had a hard start to their little lives.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
PM phat baz, he's got something to do with some cat welfare society or other.
BUT, remember there is an old local by-law that says it is legal to kill a cat that comes onto your property so long as you return its skin to its owner..... so just have a little ponder about that before it shits in next doors flower beds.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
We had a cat when I was a kid, we went on holiday one year for a fortnight and found the cattery cost a fortune as we had no one to feed her, for our next holiday instead of the cattery we had her put down and bought a new kitten when we got home. Saved us a fortune.

Not a bit funny. back to the poster, please go to a rescue center, and make sure it is nutured !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My Daughter got our cat from RSPCA at Patcham at about 1 year old. They have normally made an assessment of the Cat and will tell you if they are good with children, lively, quiet etc. They told us that she had been kept with lots of other cats and hadn't had a lot of contact with Humans, probably not good with small kids (my daughter was about 13 at the time).

When we got her home she would turn into a hissing ball of teeth and claws with no apparent warning
. Talked to RSPCA and they told us to try for a few more weeks. After 2-3 months she calmed down and now (3 years later) is incredibly affectionate. She can still do the teeth and claws thing whenever another cat or fox come into the garden.

On costs, allow for Pet Insurance, food (our cat has got more picky as she has gone on and seems to only like the most expensive types !) and boarding for holidays (adds about £80-£100 a week to any holiday we go on).

we picked up a cat in Shoreham while I worked with Cats Protection she hated everything and everybody she was that bad we could not re-home her after she had her kittens she was just as bad .....she is still with us some 13 years later still feisty but quieter since she became top-cat
good thing is Rescue Remedy on the tips of the ears for a while

:) i do assume the cheaper cat foods contain modtly rubbish, but I don't know. I have noticed the better quality food
I give them, they then turn their noses up at anything cheaper (stuff they used to eat).

Funny one the other day, I thought I'd give them Sheeba tuna for a change, so not the cheapest, they both smelt it and looked up at me to say "we're not eating THAT" .... so I had to throw it and give them something they liked. Definitely spoilt, but I love doing it - they had a hard start to their little lives.

really making me laugh
been there done that and got the ripped tee-shirt

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
we picked up a cat in Shoreham while I worked with Cats Protection she hated everything and everybody she was that bad we could not re-home her after she had her kittens she was just as bad .....she is still with us some 13 years later still feisty but quieter since she became top-cat
good thing is Rescue Remedy on the tips of the ears for a while

really making me laugh
been there done that and got the ripped tee-shirt

If you know Shoreham, I'm sure you know the Dogs Trust place next to Adur rec - that's what my parents owned when it was a private boarding kennels, so I grew up there. 120 dogs and 40 cats ( plus 5 sheep, 40 chickens and a couple of ponies) - not a bad way to spend your childhood

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Kids love kittens. If it is your first cat, I would suggest a kitten.
It is a seedy world- we found several sellers asking for £50 and saying they would send a kitten once they had the cash.

I fully understand the people suggesting an older abandoned cat. I've had a few of those in the past and they give lots of pleasure too. Sometimes they have health problems which is problematic, the guys at the shelter are normally pretty honest though.

Our pet insurance paid for us to do a poster campaign and leaflet drop when our one went missing- and it worked- so I would suggest getting insurance.

Costs include food, we feed ours two wet pouches and dried food as well every day. He craps outside and they are pretty good at burying so not like dogs at all. I think a cat flap is important. Some people have indoors cats but I think it is a bit cruel not to let cats go out.

Annual jabs and having it nuetered are other vets costs. The latter is a one-off fee.

My Mrs needed convincing to get a cat and now she loves it to bits. Enjoy.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
We adopted a cat through Cats Protection League 3 weeks ago. They ask for a £75 donation but she came spayed, microchipped, fully vaccinated, litter trained etc. and with 4 weeks' insurance. We never insured cats before but with vet fees rocketing and the £000s we paid in the year before the last one died we have taken out insurance this time. She is 1-year old and Petplan charged us £13.50 a month for lifetime cover.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

I used to be a hose man but recently I have converted to the Nerf Gun- and what a decision that was! Few things in life more satisfying than letting one rip and just knowing that orange pellet is going to thud into its target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I used to be a hose man but recently I have converted to the Nerf Gun- and what a decision that was! Few things in life more satisfying than letting one rip and just knowing that orange pellet is going to thud into its target.

heres an idea you T**T go and try it on junior's horses

Oh and by the way if you do this big man its illegal

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
heres an idea you T**T go and try it on junior's horses

Oh and by the way if you do this big man its illegal

If I see a horse perched on top of my fence sh*tting into my garden I'll give it a go.

Will need some serious Nerf power though, would probably have to upgrade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports