Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cassettes

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yep, I used to spend HOURS making mixtapes on my Sony Midi system.

Once I got the CD player with fade, I created some masterpieces. Well, in my 14 year old head, and those of my mates anyway.

I've always told my Mum that if I'd actually had a set of decks back then, she'd be rich now. [emoji23]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We now have alien technology. We are living in an age whereby I can walk into a room wearing earpieces physically connected to nothing, bark out a song I want to hear (no matter how old or obscure), and it immediately starts playing in my ears, in cut-glass prestine perfection. And I can mince around the place all I like still hearing it. Kitchen. Bog. Garden.

If someone had told me in 1984 when I was pissing about with cassettes that THAT was on the horizon...well.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
220px-Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think we have largely transcended beyond ipods, Mp3's etc now too. We have now entered the age of cloud music with Spotify, YouTube, Amazon Music and so on.

"we", that's quite a bold statement. as a family we have a Amazon prime account but don't use the music bit, Don't have a spotify account.
your missing out on the all the artwork is an important part of have an "album"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still have a tape deck, as a remote part of my hi-if and a box of tapes, which are mostly band demo's, but also a few compilation tapes of rare stuff from DJ friends, some of which I still haven't found or afforded on vinyl. And a few which just, like a good photo, capture a moment in time beautifully. . I did buy a few pre recorded tapes back in the early 80's, usually if they were cheap, but the vast majority of my investment was vinyl and blanks for making compilations and recording stuff off the radio!

I used to have an old reel to reel as well, my cousin and I used to do our own radio shows and record them! Fortunately all envidence is long since gone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
All 4 of these books are truly magnificent, and a must for music lovers imho.The most recent 'A Fabulous Creation' gives a wonderful insight into our love for the LP and the numerous forms it has taken over the years.

A great section on the cassette and the Walkman, a wonderful listen.

lp.JPG

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All 4 of these books are truly magnificent, and a must for music lovers imho.The most recent 'A Fabulous Creation' gives a wonderful insight into our love for the LP and the numerous forms it has taken over the years.

A great section on the cassette and the Walkman, a wonderful listen.

View attachment 113538

I have only read the 1971 book, but found it disappointing. I have read more detailed articles in Record Collector, and therefore found very little that I wasn't already aware of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had over a 100 covering more than 20 years. I chucked them all out a couple of years ago going with the mantra “if you haven’t used it in a couple of years you might as well bin it”

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had over a 100 covering more than 20 years. I chucked them all out a couple of years ago going with the mantra “if you haven’t used it in a couple of years you might as well bin it”

I thought that Mantra was for dresses heels and handbags? ;-)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I'm probably one of the few people in England that still use a Walkman when they go to the gym!!!!

Have got some funny looks over the years from the younger lot, but what the hell, I don't care.

All my old rave tapes from the early 90s that I used to buy from Rounder Records I still listen to at the gym and obviously they are on cassettes.....I'd be screwed though if the Walkman decides to chew them up but so far, so good!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used them to tape friend's records thereby increasing my stack on the cheap many decades ago. I threw them out ages ago when I realised my taste in music then was absolutely terrible.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Still have quite a lot of story tapes - which we play on my hi-fi.

You see, that's the thing - we're all still a mix of technologies; embracing them on an 'as and when' timescale. I don't have a mobile phone, but do have a good spec DSLR (although I'm sure I'll be told that's passe as well). We haven't yet progressed to a Smart TV (our freeview one is going fine, no need to replace it). Big fan of DAB, but I bought a good quality Roberts DAB with CD player some 10 years back, so don't want to replace it with internet radio yet - it has got an SD card slot though, so I have used that occasionally. My dad's old DAB / CD / Tape unit is fine for the loft when I'm up there. So - it's all fine saying everything is downloadable - but what do I play them on without having to buy loads of new kit?

I can connect my laptop into the hi-fi (Aux) - but what a faff, as it means having to unplug one of the others.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Did end up with some pre recorded that I couldn't download. Used to have Memorex with the natty case and TDK. Glad they went out of use no more trying to untangle in the car somewhere under the bonnet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a mountain of tapes of John Peel, Richard Skinner, Peter Drummond.....

Lots of 'rare' peel sessions.... but I have downloaded all I want from various sites. There is a site with countless full Peel progs....I now have many on iPOD.

I can still play tapes but never do. After I downloaded a pristine version of the one and only Again Again Peel session I realised they are redundant.

Also the sound quality is shite.

The cloud does not have all this stuff available though...

All those hours we spent, ready to press the pause button when the DJ (other than Peel) started talking inane crap.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I’ve noticed lots of bands I like include a cassette in Album bundles now. I presume they cost sod all to produce. So they put an extra Album into one of the bundles (I.e cd, vinyl and T-shirt) on cassette and you’ve got another album sale to count up.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Tapes were a big thing for me as a lad.

Did the whole recording thing to put on my walkman. Now it's a goal of mine to put a zine out and include a cassette.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I’ve noticed lots of bands I like include a cassette in Album bundles now. I presume they cost sod all to produce. So they put an extra Album into one of the bundles (I.e cd, vinyl and T-shirt) on cassette and you’ve got another album sale to count up.

The other option seems to be offering signed cassettes of an album release with a limited run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here