Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Cash or card ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some will need Phone, cash and card. A card for chopping out, phone screen to chop out on and a note to snort.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
When was the last time anyone wrote out a cheque? Mine was two years ago to the chimney sweep from a cheque book that was issued in 2013!

Definitely a Generational thing.

Mrs Jakarta runs the local Church Magazine / Arts Group / Probus Group finances.

We still get loads of envelopes enclosing cheques for £10/15/20 - it seems unfair to tell these old ladies about how their subscriptions are propping up the Banks...

Now we have gone from 4 to 1 Banks in Storrington I guess it may be a situation that will resolve itself.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Don't carry cash as a matter of routine but often have a small amount of cash on me (up to £20 maybe). Don't always carry a card as nearly always use my phone to pay for things (got 4 different cards on it).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Very rarely have cash on me, and when I do it's because I know on that particular day I'll need it (eg match fees for cricket games - and even then I usually forget and have to make a dash to an ATM to get it).

We usually have a note or two and some coins at home, but that's usually come into the house via the MiL paying us back after we've bought something for her via card.

I'm very much in the use-contactless-whenever-I-can group. Via the card for smaller purchases, and via phone for larger. So much so that it's been so long since I used the PIN on my Amex that I've forgotten it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Always carry cash with me - there are still lots of places that don't take cards.

As mentioned above, taxi drivers don't tend to take them.

My experience is the opposite regarding taxis in Brighton and London, most if not all have one of those small white block things connected to their phone.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Definitely a Generational thing.

Mrs Jakarta runs the local Church Magazine / Arts Group / Probus Group finances.

We still get loads of envelopes enclosing cheques for £10/15/20 - it seems unfair to tell these old ladies about how their subscriptions are propping up the Banks...

Now we have gone from 4 to 1 Banks in Storrington I guess it may be a situation that will resolve itself.

That reminds me, I need to ride up to Storrington to weigh in £100 of shrapnel and a £10 cheque as you still have an HSBC with a cash counter there!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The pandemic has meant my treble pocket check: phone, wallet, keys, is now a double pocket check: phone, keys.

I'm currently exploring a single pocket check and ditching the need for keys too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That reminds me, I need to ride up to Storrington to weigh in £100 of shrapnel and a £10 cheque as you still have an HSBC with a cash counter there!

You had better do it soon, I'm sure we will lose it shortly. Ashington, Billingshurst, Pulborough, Steyning already without Banks - I'll bet Storrington will be without one by the end of the Year.

I have to take my shrapnel (20p's) to Nationwide in Horsham and they are starting to get a bit snotty about taking cash.

I put the rest of my small change (1-10p) into Charity Boxes - how are they going to cope?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Pre-Covid I would NEVER have used a card to buy drinks in a pub. Old fashioned I know.

Now card is the norm for me and most of my friends - although a couple of my self-employed friends always buy their rounds in cash.....

Slightly OT - if you're going out for the day and have a whip - how do others sort this out now - some have cash and some don't...?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When i was fitting floors, we always got paid cash, always had and paid cash.
There is something nice about cash in your wallet, until you lose it that is, the same can be said about a card though.
I keep cash hidden at home in case emergencies, and save £2 plus 50p coins in a piggy bank for gigs and records (habit)

I resisted using a card for as long as possible, however it is so much easier to use a card, and instead of saving the change in a jar I round the difference up and pop in a little savings account for you guessed it gigs and records.

I have not added my card to my phone yet, and probably won't, to me that makes far too much sense.

The sad thing about the demise of cash is the cash bonus I get every now and again, nothing like doing a job and having a monkey in your pocket, hidden away from the other half. Your boss or the private job you do is far less likely to give you a bonus in the building/flooring trade if you have to pay into your account.
example
1: Mr X comes in and wants a job doing and agrees a cash price, job complete he comes in pays you say 3k
you give to boss, he is over the moon and slides you say 400 everyones happy.
2: Mr X comes in and wants a job doing and tries to get a good deal will only pay card - end of story.

I fear option 2 is taking over, I loved option 1 maybe 4-5 times a year is lovely.

I am just old

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Luckily I've got £15 in cash at home ,I caught covid at the beginning of the week and a family member is popping around with some basic groceries later ...
About the only time I do use cash nowadays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My experience is the opposite regarding taxis in Brighton and London, most if not all have one of those small white block things connected to their phone.

I haven't used a taxi in London for a long time but I got a taxi from Lewes to Glyndebourne a couple of weeks ago and he didn't take cards. It was a nice little earner for him: £20 for a five minute trip: no meter, cash only. And there's a queue of people outside Lewes station looking to do the same trip.

I've been up in County Durham a lot in the last month clearing my mum's house - not one taxi I used took cards. And the buffets in the trains going up there are cash only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven't used a taxi in London for a long time but I got a taxi from Lewes to Glyndebourne a couple of weeks ago and he didn't take cards. It was a nice little earner for him: £20 for a five minute trip: no meter, cash only. And there's a queue of people outside Lewes station looking to do the same trip.

I've been up in County Durham a lot in the last month clearing my mum's house - not one taxi I used took cards. And the buffets in the trains going up there are cash only.

Something I am aware of is that there’s quite a significant “black economy” in the hospitality sector over here. It’s not uncommon for people to have a formal work contract and be paid a regular ageee monthly “black” top up. It seems to be “tolerated” by the tax authorities as well. That said, i do notice at the end of the month a number of bars and cafes have an “issue” with their card machine and go “cash only” ….I presume to generate some “black”.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Non-League football clubs are the last bastions it seems of Cash Only, and thats because about 80% of them are fronts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here