Cash benefits or Food stamps?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mh

What's a new user got to do with a discussion about benefits? Seems he has a good as an opinion as anyone else
Absolutely nothing whatsoever, at no time was I questioning his opinion or his right to make it *scratches head in puzzlement*.

I'm guessing you haven't followed our little sub-conversation. I was merely harrumphing that looney had been banned for something that in the older days would have just been dismissed as water off a duck's back. Newer users, and especially those who haven't crossed swords with looney before, may be surprised to discover what in the past was considered acceptable comment.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
And put those small businesses that are currently struggling well and truly in the shit? £10 minimum wage is too much for a small business to afford.

Well what are your ideas? leave things as they are?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And put those small businesses that are currently struggling well and truly in the shit? £10 minimum wage is too much for a small business to afford.

If a company cannot afford to pay someone a decent wage then they are not a viable business in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have a heap of ideas to improve things and it centres mainly around growing a national web of local private/family owned small to medium sized businesses i.e. a solid manufacturing base giving people decent meaningful work and a decent wage. I'd also get the ship yards working again.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Absolutely nothing whatsoever, at no time was I questioning his opinion or his right to make it *scratches head in puzzlement*.

I'm guessing you haven't followed our little sub-conversation. I was merely harrumphing that looney had been banned for something that in the older days would have just been dismissed as water off a duck's back. Newer users, and especially those who haven't crossed swords with looney before, may be surprised to discover what in the past was considered acceptable comment.

This board is miles better without Looney. Always has been, always will be. He's actually deranged.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I agree it's not clear cut either way but I'd suggest that if the government tax you as an individual then you should be assessed for benefits as an individual. To be frank, I'd go for either method - it just needs to be consistent.

Likewise, if it's done at household level ( as benefits currently are ) then a household would have tax free allowance. So a couple earning £100k and £15k respectively might get the "standard (?)" £20k allowance for a household and the following £95k would be taxed at the appropriate rate(s).

I agree that if a households benefits are join then they should share tax advantages too, but that's not going to happen, unfortunately.

No, but when a business is making just enough for keep a few of people in employment, I don't think forcing them to close and place more people on the jobless scrapheap a viable solution.

If a company cannot afford to pay someone a decent wage then they are not a viable business in my opinion.

Not even if they're making just enough to keep a dozen people in employment? You'd rather they close the business because they cannot afford the staff and all went on benefits that working for minimum wage?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I have a heap of ideas to improve things and it centres mainly around growing a national web of local private/family owned small to medium sized businesses i.e. a solid manufacturing base giving people decent meaningful work and a decent wage. I'd also get the ship yards working again.

Great suggestion, but how would it be possible to provide a good wage, AND compete price wise with cheap imports? it was these cheap imports that (along with Thatcher) that killed almost all are uk based industries.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Ah c where u r coming from ..my apologies

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly most or our manufactoring went overseas back in the 80's/90's because the wages paid were a pittance compared to what was paid here, we are now facing the same scenario with office based jobs relocating to India and the like. Not sure how you could reverse this because if the government tried to legislate most companies would probably just locate abroad lock stock and barrel which would worsen the situation

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And when one of them has ADHD you get loads more :thumbsup: his wife receives full time carers wage.

And you need to add on working tax credits as the fella only works 25 hours a week , with the bonus of children's tax credit element

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Not everyone on benefits is a souless time wasting scrounger. However, the scrounger is a cancer. Befudlement comes in the definition of the two. Although I hate to admit it public shame on social media, if you know a culprit, might be the only answer! Love a bomb in the verbal media! Grass 'em up..............suspect I'll get censored now.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Rent is paid direct is it not? Travel expenses for interviews could be obtained direct from the dole office. We should not be paying for life's luxuries. I cannot afford to pay for taxis, booze and 50 inch TVs and I work full time. I even quit smoking because of the cost. We need to make it more attractive to work. Supplement low paid wages with monies saved by giving food stamps.

Oh dear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports