Carry On Audrey! (Harrison)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
From The Beeb website:-

Heavyweight Audley Harrison has decided to continue boxing despite his heavy defeat by David Haye in the world-title fight in Manchester on 13 November.

The 39-year-old was strongly criticised after being stopped in the third round having thrown only one punch.

"After spending some time away reflecting on the fight and outcome, I have made the decision to continue my journey in boxing," he said.

Harrison added that he believed the referee ended the fight prematurely.

The British Boxing Board of Control may yet decide to withhold part of of Harrison's purse after his lack of aggression against Haye in the MEN Arena.

But Harrison, a gold medallist at the 2000 Olympics, says there was a strategy behind his approach in the opening rounds of the WBA bout.

"Both styles of feinting and moving was off-setting the both of us in the first two rounds and I was just zoning in on his rhythm when he got through," said Harrison.

"I give David credit as I never expected him to hurt me as he did, but anyone could see it was a premature stoppage and I should have been allowed to carry on and ride out the rough patch, even if that meant I would have got knocked out."

Harrison believes criticism that Vitali Klitschko's one-sided win over Shannon Briggs in October had been allowed to go the distance may have prompted referee Luis Pabon to intervene too early.

"I was denied the opportunity to show my grit, determination and desire to be in there and compete and try to get back on level terms," added Harrison.

"Let the haters and negative comments continue - I don't really care. I know me and I can sleep at night as I'm happy with who I am today."

:wozza:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
People always go on about how slapping children is wrong. But when I was a kid my Uncle Audley used to hit me all the time and it never did me any harm.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think The Albion should get him down on Saturday & stick him on the pitch the moment the h/t whistle blows. :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think The Albion should get him down on Saturday & stick him on the pitch the moment the h/t whistle blows. :thumbsup:

That combination of hot air plus the occasional draft from a misplaced punch, could be ideal for defrosting the pitch before kick off. Yes send for Audrey and his number one fan Ernest can assist.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And who exactly does he think will pay to watch him fight?

Now what would be fun is if someone persuaded him to have a go at MMA. I would love to see him take a beating from Randy Couture. James Toney who was in a different league thought he have a go and it was farcical

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He will end up being a circus attraction at this rate.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He is merely carrying on a long British tradition of immobile heavy weights who manage to dodge real boxers and regard a draw or not being lamped in to next week as a victory. The list includes Frank Bruno and Joe Bugner.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
He is merely carrying on a long British tradition of immobile heavy weights who manage to dodge real boxers and regard a draw or not being lamped in to next week as a victory. The list includes Frank Bruno and Joe Bugner.

What are you talking about, do not even compare them in the same breath. Joe bugner went 12 and 15 rounds with Muhammad ali and 12 rounds with Joe frasier! Frank bruno went in with Mike tyson twice and Lennox lewis in his prime!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And Bruno, whilst clearly not the most technically gifted fighter, had the heart of a LION.

Whereas Audrey has the heart of an artichoke.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What are you talking about, do not even compare them in the same breath. Joe bugner went 12 and 15 rounds with Muhammad ali and 12 rounds with Joe frasier! Frank bruno went in with Mike tyson twice and Lennox lewis in his prime!

Please refresh me on how those results went ? and, er, who did they ever beat who wasn't a spoonfed win ?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
They lasted the distance with some of the best boxers ever and Harrison couldn't even last four rounds with Haye who would have been destroyed by Fraiser or Ali.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bugner and Bruno also actually tended to throw punches as well, if memory serves.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Please refresh me on how those results went ? and, er, who did they ever beat who wasn't a spoonfed win ?

Not my words, cannot be arsed and memory not good.

'In 1973 Bugner lost twelve-round decisions to Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. Although the scorecards in the Ali fight was lopsided, Bugner fought well in both bouts and he won the respect of the boxing media and public alike. After their bout, Ali declared that Bugner was capable of being world champion. Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee later echoed that sentiment'

'On 24 September 1994, Oliver McCall beat Lewis with a surprising and somewhat controversial second round knockout victory at Wembley Arena, and, after outpointing Larry Holmes, he came to England to defend the WBC title against Bruno. On 2 September 1995, Bruno finally became world champion by outpointing McCall over twelve rounds'

Fraudley does not compare.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thank you all for confirming my point for me. It seems the pinnacle of our British heavyweight " Legends " was to achieve the occasional points victory or to hang on long enough for the end of the final round and hope for a re-match.

PS. it's also traditional despite the pre fight hype and slanging match, for the winner and his camp to profess "respect" for their beaten opponent.

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Thank you all for confirming my point for me. It seems the pinnacle of our British heavyweight " Legends " was to achieve the occasional points victory or to hang on long enough for the end of the final round and hope for a re-match.

PS. it's also traditional despite the pre fight hype and slanging match, for the winner and his camp to profess "respect" for their beaten opponent.

That no problem, some people do forget some of our past great world champions, Frank bruno who gave everything as Did Herbie hide who was twice Wbo heavyweight champion. Not forgetting Lennox lewis who was a great champion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports