Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Caroline Lucas

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Exactly, I am so disgusted right now.

Baking cakes and offering cheap prize House of Commons tours is so ****ing snowflake generation!

I expect my MP to be funded by private corporations or third party nations who’ll actually give them the budget to get elected and make a difference, even if it is tax breaks for those corporations, or preferential treatment to the countries who have funded them!

Take the ex-investment banker c**t Javid. He spent his pre-political career investment banking and ****ing this country over under a careless Labour government then suddenly, we’ve over spent and over relied on nasty little c**ts like him and we crash and the little f**ker sucks and licks his way in to government! No wonder the horrid f**k C**t thinks he is entitled and tells that lucifer wannabe Johnson where to go.

They are all c**ts really aren’t they but if you think Caroline Lucas is corrupt, you’re about as clever as the brown Palace shaped sludge I flush daily.

She’s not corrupt, no question, a **** however? Probably.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
As others have said, I'm sure a walk around the Commons has probably been thrown in alongside the policy lunches, direct influence on decision-making and peerages that the big parties regularly sell for millions.

Surprised an MP as diligent as Lucas has made this mistake, but it's hardly crime of the century.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As others have said, I'm sure a walk around the Commons has probably been thrown in alongside the policy lunches, direct influence on decision-making and peerages that the big parties regularly sell for millions.

Surprised an MP as diligent as Lucas has made this mistake, but it's hardly crime of the century.

Not crime of the century, agreed. However that is not the hurdle for investigation. She has been accused of selling tours to raise money for the Green Party. As the article says, these tours should be available for free to constituents. At the very least the article suggests the possibility of some sort of dishonesty. I don’t understand why so many are so keen to underplay it. If she has done nothing wrong she will be exonerated.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not crime of the century, agreed. However that is not the hurdle for investigation. She has been accused of selling tours to raise money for the Green Party. As the article says, these tours should be available for free to constituents. At the very least the article suggests the possibility of some sort of dishonesty. I don’t understand why so many are so keen to underplay it. If she has done nothing wrong she will be exonerated.

It sounds like she has done something wrong to be honest - seems like they've been caught red-handed. Just seems naive more than outrageously dishonest to me, particularly when you look at the sums involved.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It sounds like she has done something wrong to be honest - seems like they've been caught red-handed. Just seems naive more than outrageously dishonest to me, particularly when you look at the sums involved.

Yeah - agree with that.

Made worse by the party she represents. Greens are supposed to be a breath of fresh air from this kind of thing.

Maybe all politicians really are all the same.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yeah - agree with that.

Made worse by the party she represents. Greens are supposed to be a breath of fresh air from this kind of thing.

Maybe all politicians really are all the same.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See for me, this highlights how they ARE very different. You wouldn't catch Labour or the Tories selling a tour with their key figurehead for £150. Their lawyers would have been all over it, and they prefer selling lunches with David Cameron for £40k or whatever it famously was, taking huge amounts of unregistered donations just below the threshold for declaring them, etc etc.

I actually think the rule that the Greens have broken is very important and I'm sure there'll be appropriate sanctions (repay the cash and a telling off?), but the coverage is massively overstating the whole situation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Its pretty trivial. The dark money that infiltrating British politics is our real problem

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yes, she may not have realized she was supposed to offer the tours for free.

Obviously she did. I would suspect the Greens legal team didn't pick up that it was also illegal to take donors around.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Yep, there it is, the sun's risen in the east.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Yup.
Looks like she (or almost certainly, someone in her team - but she still has to take responsibility) has f*ckd up and failed to realise when putting together the 'package' of optons that tours are specified as something that you can't offer for money. Doh!

My assumption would be that the investigation will be completed, she'll put her hands up and say fair cop, take a fine, or whatever, and that will be it. Quickly forgotten, for the simple reason that, rightly, very few people (beyond the inevitable sad internet trolls) will believe that she's genuinely corrupt.

My assumption is also that it's a stupid mistake, and not part of a wider pattern of selling access and influence for cash (if it is then she is massively underselling herself, given what others seem to be charging). If the investigation reveals otherwise, I'll put my hands up. But I'll be very suprised!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I suspect she probably is guilty in the spirit of the rule, although possibly not by the letter (it's not a raffle or an auction after all). However, selling it for £150 seems so incredibly trivial that I can't believe there was any malicious or underhanded intent here regardless of the outcome.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
At the Brunswick Festival last year/ year before there was a 'name the bear' competition on the Labour party stand ... Quid a go, prize was a tour of The Houses of Parliament with tea and cake with Peter Kyle.

Honestly, the levels of corruption in Brighton and Hove would appal The Borgias

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
She comes across as a smarmy and generally appalling woman in every way (except maybe the cake, might be her redeeming feature).

Smarmy. Huh.

Of all the things you could say about Caroline, that would, be about the last I'd imagine anyone coming up with.

Care to give an example of her being 'smarmy'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here