Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
@Bakero has some interesting stats on Dahoud so far and his contribution with the ball, which is reassuring, I do think it’s what he doesn’t do/hasn’t done which is more the issue for me.

Still RdZ has highlighted he is still picking up the system, so hopefully some improvement to come.

Here are those stats that I posted on another thread:

IMG_20230928_082245.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Here are those stats that I posted on another thread:

View attachment 167197
Is that good? Guess the percentiles are high. Where did i read they other day De Bruyne saying that pass completion stats are the most pointless stat for him because if you don't make risky passes you get good stats, but risky passes are required to create chances. Something like that anyway :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Is that good? Guess the percentiles are high. Where did i read they other day De Bruyne saying that pass completion stats are the most pointless stat for him because if you don't make risky passes you get good stats, but risky passes are required to create chances. Something like that anyway :)

The very nature of playing in a De Zerbi team means you have to make risky passes. The stats show Dahoud makes and completes more passes per game than the vast majority of players. The manager demands these kind of numbers.

De Bruyne did indeed say that but he has a different role. Imagine how Pep would feel if Rodri was giving the ball away 20% of the time.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Are there any defensive stats from that source ? Seems to me that’s where he needs to up his game a bit……

IMG_20230928_095435.jpg

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Stop it now :) He's a 19 year old in his first start in English football. If people didn't realise its gonna take him a fair few games to get up to scratch BEFORE this match then I worry for the state of football discussion on this site....

If you want our centre midfield to be as good as last years, then i guess you should worry a bit. That's a very high bar to clear. In some ways I've been pleasantly surprised about how we've copied with the loss of Caicedo and Mac, but the key for me is the player who connects the midfield to the attackers, the Lallana role if you will. Fati did it well first half, we missed him second half.
But Dwayne wasn't that keen on our central midfield last season either as he doesn't rate Mac Allister!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The very nature of playing in a De Zerbi team means you have to make risky passes. The stats show Dahoud makes and completes more passes per game than the vast majority of players. The manager demands these kind of numbers.

De Bruyne did indeed say that but he has a different role. Imagine how Pep would feel if Rodri was giving the ball away 20% of the time.

Thanks. Guess my feeling of Dahoud is that he should be more of a de Bruyne player, he had that silky style to him. I don't see him as our Rodri. But i have no knowledge what he did at Dortmund, was he a defensive midfielder there?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Both Dahoud and Baleba will come good. It's important to remember two things- firstly RDZ is the first to admit the hardest transition for players under him is CM and CB, it takes time. And secondly consider the improvement of both Gilmour and even Gross at CM under him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Stop it now :) He's a 19 year old in his first start in English football. If people didn't realise its gonna take him a fair few games to get up to scratch BEFORE this match then I worry for the state of football discussion on this site....

If you want our centre midfield to be as good as last years, then i guess you should worry a bit. That's a very high bar to clear. In some ways I've been pleasantly surprised about how we've copied with the loss of Caicedo and Mac, but the key for me is the player who connects the midfield to the attackers, the Lallana role if you will. Fati did it well first half, we missed him second half.
We remember well Biss transition from league 1..... similar to last night, bit patchy, raw, inconsistent until he then became a midfield stalwart.

Young Carlos needs time and patience.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

RDZ’s bravery in giving pretty well every member of the squad game time is going to make us a threat in every game once they are all up to speed. Having an interchangeable squad is going to benefit us big time in the long run. These things take time and it was only a year or so ago we’d have all settled for playing well and only losing 0-1 at Chelsea. Nobody wants to play us anymore, whereas not so long ago it was “we should be beating teams like Brighton”. I suggest not even City think like that now.

Baleba is going to be a beast for us imo.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thank you, v interesting. Whisper it, but i thought he was pretty good last night, esp. when we were in possession. I think he's quite similar to Pascal, when Pascal is playing a deep lying role. Out of possession he is still rather Davy Propper to me, but thankfully we are out of possession a lot less with the current team.
Agree with you, I thought Dahoud was good last night, his best game for us. I think his fitness is improving as he was getting around the pitch much quicker last night.

I think he’s a really good player and in a few months that will be the universal opinion.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Agree with you, I thought Dahoud was good last night, his best game for us. I think his fitness is improving as he was getting around the pitch much quicker last night.

I think he’s a really good player and in a few months that will be the universal opinion.
Highly optmistic to believe any NSC view about one of our players will be universal.

@Bakero has some interesting stats on Dahoud so far and his contribution with the ball, which is reassuring, I do think it’s what he doesn’t do/hasn’t done which is more the issue for me.

Still RdZ has highlighted he is still picking up the system, so hopefully some improvement to come.
Dahoud is still the same player who was getting rave reviews at the beginning of the season. It's an illustration of how sentiment towards a particular player can turn on a sixpence really over very little. It's likely he's not as good as Caicedo or Mac but doesn't mean he won't be an important player I reckon. Gross is our clear No1 in centre mid these days but I don't think there's a lot to choose between his partner, Gilmour is a silkier mover and I think gets a lot of credit for fans for that

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dahoud is still the same player who was getting rave reviews at the beginning of the season. It's an illustration of how sentiment towards a particular player can turn on a sixpence really over very little. It's likely he's not as good as Caicedo or Mac but doesn't mean he won't be an important player I reckon. Gross is our clear No1 in centre mid these days but I don't think there's a lot to choose between his partner, Gilmour is a silkier mover and I think gets a lot of credit for fans for that
You’ll have to enlighten me on the rave reviews London, if you are referring to the friendlies, then yes, agree, outstanding…… but friendlies.

It’s not that I don’t rate him or anything like that, I have just been disappointed to date, and think he is taking a little longer to grasp the system.

I guess I expected a more immediate impact given the pedigree. I’m sure/hope it’ll come, but IMO he’s not there yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here