[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Really!? I was just thinking how he reminds me of Moises in the way he can disrupt the opposition flow, don't know how easy he will find it against PL teams, that is the big question. I see him being integrated slowly. The move to us is a bloody good one for him.
Agreed.

Bisouma, looked a bit clumsy and error prone when we first bagged him, over time he became a fantastic player. Liverpool have been following this lad too, so I doubt he's totally shit. Trust the algorithm, TB and recruitment team + RDZ will shirley have also authorised him too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I suppose you could’ve and I’ve had put it down to your comic persona. Seeing as I’m not a Jew, I’ll let others debate that and eventually resign the thread to the Bear Pit. I’ll not be engaging on this topic further.
My point is people are taking offense far too easily, cancel culture is a cancer. If you dont like something sure explain what the problem is but the way it is going, the whole I took offense therefore it's offensive thing is, as I said, cancerous.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m expecting this to be announced today as he’s undergoing the final part of his medical this morning says Fab .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
That’s not what is happening here or how the transfer market works - players are basically worth whatever a club is willing to pay - if a player is more than we are willing to pay, we won’t buy him, period. Conversely, as we saw eg with Caicedo and Cucu, we got what Chelsea were willing to pay - for us, it’s very much a futures market and Baleba is not ‘unproven’ - he may be relatively inexperienced (unsurprisingly as he’s only 19) and has no PL experience but he has obviously shown enough at Lille (a good mid table Liege 1 club) last season, not just to impress RDZ/our scouts but a number of Big 7 clubs as well as AC Milan - if they didn’t go for him - A/ I suspect it was because he was in the wrong income bracket/is at the wrong level of development - ie. not a £75-90m player that could go straight in as a first team starter at a Big 7 club but too expensive to simply use as an unused bloat while they wait 12-18mnths for him to develop out on loan/in training. b/ Those clubs weren’t the best destination for him to develop (because of A/) and he was advised Brighton would suit him better.

That’s what we do and are good at - we nuture and develop young talent based on the raw material our scouts and manager have seen. Man U have just paid £72m for a 20 year striker that will shoulder the main responsibility for their goal scoring despite him being relatively inexperienced and only 20yrs old. Why? Because EtH and the Man U scouting team believe £72m will be a steal later down the road after developing under EtH - yet, he is still someone who they can use now - its all relative. For us to pay £25m for a DMF what for RDZ is arguably a more important position than a CF in his system is reasonable and like Rasmus, will be a steal in a few years imo.
Well yes. Or you could just put it that we're paying for his potential rather than what he has proved so far in his career.

Personally I'm mystified that anyone is going on about the number of games he's played and in what league? If we want proven players we could go for Danny Ings or Craig Dawson

Buying potential inexact science of course, it's like playing the stock market and always being the person who finds the stock that nobody has heard of but everyone wants in 2 or 3 years time. But how many have we got wrong in the last 3 years? And how many have we got right? The club deserve our trust

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Exactly nothing is 100% guaranteed but with a huge amount of research and diligence the club gets the majority right . How many players have we even lost money on that haven’t quite been good enough . A few but not that many .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly nothing is 100% guaranteed but with a huge amount of research and diligence the club gets the majority right . How many players have we even lost money on that haven’t quite been good enough . A few but not that many .
Andone, Jahanbakhsh, Montoya, Schelotto, Locadia.............................

But yes, overall the recruitment (and selling) has been excellent.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well yes. Or you could just put it that we're paying for his potential rather than what he has proved so far in his career.
um .. I could, but I wrote what I wrote and several other points besides. You just repeated one of the several points I made so no need to be rude about it 👍

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'll be glad when this is sorted (hopefully) and the Transfer Window closes, because I find that constantly checking NSC, and transfer-news sites for updates, seriously affects my work-related concentration and productivity every summer!

I'd also prefer it if the Window closed the day before the season starts, rather than overlapping by 3 weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports