[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Grimble

To some extent I agree. But I think the point is you can have one ‘pretty’ CM, if you have a more athletic one alongside him (Ali Mac and Caicedo). But playing Gilmour and Gross won’t work against the better sides as we’ll get overrun.
Yep. Ali Mac was deceptively physical though, he was very good in ground duels.

He might be happy to play Gilmour next to Baleba.
Quite possibly. I’d guess that RDZ is hoping that Dahoud will adapt in the way that Ali Mac did and become reliable defensively.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ll say it again, he looks clumsy.

Ball control looks iffy too and he is a booking waiting to happen imo

Club knows what they’re doing but that video don’t impress me much, really doesn’t look like he’s anywhere near ready for De Zerbi ball :smile:

Do you recall Bissouma’s early days? It was all very chaotic, over stretching for tackles he’d never win, not passing, dribbling past two opponents then hitting row Z. Unstructured.

On this one I have faith in TB’s algorithms :)

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
It’s all relative isn’t it. Baleba’s costing 20% of that paid for the world’s most expensive midfielders.

Webster £20m, Estupinan £15m …. what price now for CB’s and LB’s?
Gvardiol - £80m, cucurella - £60m. It’s very different Now isn’t it.

Pervis was an outstanding piece of business But is was a release clause wasn’t it. I think If we sold him, he’d be worth £75m I suspect.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Same experience that Enciso has, do you think £25m would be too much for him too?
No, but he cost £9m, not £25m.

Don't get me wrong I trust the clubs judgement on players (they get far more right than wrong) and I'll trust them on Baleba but it concerns me clubs are even asking us for so much for unproven players with so little experience. I would have thought he would be a similar fee to Enciso (under £10m) and worry now that any interest in a player we show will now come with a Caicedo tax attached to it.

As much as it's fun seeing Chelsea getting mugged for huge fees, I don't want that to start happening to us.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Don't get me wrong I trust the clubs judgement on players (they get far more right than wrong) and I'll trust them on Baleba but it concerns me clubs are even asking us for so much for unproven players with so little experience. I would have thought he would be a similar fee to Enciso (under £10m) and worry now that any interest in a player we show will now come with a Caicedo tax attached to it.

As much as it's fun seeing Chelsea getting mugged for huge fees, I don't want that to start happening to us.
The big difference is who we're buying from IMO. He lacks experience, but his apps have been in Ligue 1 rather than the Paraguayan top flight. Lille are also a club of good stature so would expect bigger fees for their most promising players.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I think the poster meant to emphasise that Enciso currently has a similar amount of first team experience as Baleba - but anyone bidding for Enciso currently would need to pay a lot more than €25.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
And then I saw his face, Carlos Baleba 🎶
And not a trace, of doubt in my mind 🎶
I'm in love, Carlos Baleba 🎶
I couldn't leave him if I tried 🎶

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I bet Joel and Bart speak French - virtually every Dutch person I've met seems to able to speak four or five languages
A large percentage of folk from "western" Europe speak multiple languages, we don't because in all honesty there is no imperative to learn other languages, I spent a year working in Greece, tried to learn, but they just said its quicker and easier if we speak English. So pretty much all I can do is ask for beer and food, say hi and of course swear

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I’ll say it again, he looks clumsy.

Ball control looks iffy too and he is a booking waiting to happen imo

Club knows what they’re doing but that video don’t impress me much, really doesn’t look like he’s anywhere near ready for De Zerbi ball :smile:
Really!? I was just thinking how he reminds me of Moises in the way he can disrupt the opposition flow, don't know how easy he will find it against PL teams, that is the big question. I see him being integrated slowly. The move to us is a bloody good one for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports