[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The inclusion of a sell on clause is what attracts clubs to sell to Brighton.

They realise that there is far more chance of a large future pay day than if they sell to a Champions League club.
A club like Man City or Bayern Munich would be less likely to part with the player if he became a hot prospect like Caicedo and Mac Allister did for us.

Lille could pick up €25m selling to us now and maybe 20% of €50m in a couple of seasons which would then pocket them a further €10m.
From what I've read in the French press, it's €27m now, €3m bonus payments, and a 15% sell on (although not clear how the 15% is calculated).

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Slightly underwhelming if he's not ready to start.
Yeah - he’s only 19 I think so very young still, but agree, that given our DMF performance on Saturday and this lad being touted as Caceido’s replacement - ‘slightly underwhelming’ maybe, if it is true he is going straight out on loan - better if he comes back well seasoned in PL rather than sit on a bench here but Citeh? I don’t understand why, if he is good enough to go to Citeh for this season, why isn’t he good enough to rotate into our DMF to help out Milner, Gilmour, Dahoud, Gross - all of whom are struggling to replicate anything close to the Caceido/Mackie double pivot ? Surely RDZ needs to replace Caceido now and how much game time will Baleba get at Citeh? Or is he going into their U21s?

:unsure:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah - he’s only 19 I think so very young still, but agree, that given our DMF performance on Saturday and this lad being touted as Caceido’s replacement - ‘slightly underwhelming’ maybe, if it is true he is going straight out on loan - better if he comes back well seasoned in PL rather than sit on a bench here but Citeh? I don’t understand why, if he is good enough to go to Citeh for this season, why isn’t he good enough to rotate into our DMF to help out Milner, Gilmour, Dahoud, Gross - all of whom are struggling to replicate anything close to the Caceido/Mackie double pivot ? Surely RDZ needs to replace Caceido now and how much game time will Baleba get at Citeh? Or is he going into their U21s?

I think you're confusing the signing and integration of this lad with (NSC only) suggestions that we could get Kalvin Phillips on loan FROM City for a season

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I think you might be mistaking baleba for the young Argentinian left back we've been linked with. City are apparently interested in him, I'm unaware of any link with city with baleba.

I could be wrong though, we're linked with so many players!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think you're confusing the signing and integration of this lad with (NSC only) suggestions that we could get Kalvin Phillips on loan FROM City for a season
I was indeed confused and responding to posts #806-8. I didn’t think Baleba was earmarked for loan - probably should have read back but in my defence this is a Baleba thread and not the Kalvin Phillips thread - thanks for the clarification ! 🙂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think you might be mistaking baleba for the young Argentinian left back we've been linked with. City are apparently interested in him, I'm unaware of any link with city with baleba.

I could be wrong though, we're linked with so many players!
No - I know who Baleba is, I thought the posts above mine (ie Hugo’s and Rebel51’s) were talking about him when in fact they were actually referring to Phillips (ie a loan from Citeh ) 🫤

This is why it get’s confusing when threads go off topic!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Think @Bozza quoted PBOBE saying something about it being 'normal' for the sell on clause being profit and he hadn't come across different, but not to say it couldn't be different ???
I think the response was slightly more strongly worded than that:
So, I asked the best person I could think of, Paul Barber, and what he said is below. I stress this is all speaking generally and is not indicative of any deals the Albion have done, are doing or will do....

In my experience, calculations for sell-ons are only ever made on the amount over and above what the selling club has already received.
So, in its simplest form, player is sold for £10m with a 10% sell-on.​
Player subsequently sold for £15m.​
Original selling club receives 10% of £5m profit = £500k.​
There can however be many, many (almost limitless) different variations of the simple model above.​
Again in its simplest form, where the original selling club has also included add-ons in the original sale: for example, they receive £1m if the club they sell to win promotion.​
It would then be £15m - £10m - £1m = £4m profit x 10% sell-on = £400k to original selling club.​
I do not know of any cases where a sell-on has been calculated on the subsequent sale price. That would be nice but doesn’t happen!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think Baleba will start certain games but I think he will be integrated for those games where we need a physical midfielder, who has a bit of pace to help defend transitions in the way that Caicedo did.
Having Dahoud, Gilmour and Gross will mean that he won’t be needed initially as a regular starter, which at 19 is probably a good thing.
It’s worth looking at his YouTube highlights. He’s a defensive midfielder who is strong and win tackles. He’s also left footed.
His initial turn of pace is good and he likes to turn away from opponents and use his initial pace to accelerate away a bit like Kudus.
He’ll add an option to our midfield which we’ve lost since Caicedo’s departure.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Where is it reported he’s going on loan? No mention of it from any reputable source that I can see. Just someone moaning on here that’s now being picked up as gospel as far as I can see
This. Utter nonsense

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With only 18 games under his belt maybe he should remain on loan at Lille to get a full season of experience under his belt. Look for the other DM who could go in now and let this lad develop as only 18 pro games is nothing. Worried if he gets chucked in at the deep end he might initially flounder with unreasonable expectations from so many on here.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
With only 18 games under his belt maybe he should remain on loan at Lille to get a full season of experience under his belt. Look for the other DM who could go in now and let this lad develop as only 18 pro games is nothing. Worried if he gets chucked in at the deep end he might initially flounder with unreasonable expectations from so many on here.
You don't spend 30 million on a player then loan him out. We have our limits. To even suggest this is stupid beyond belief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here