Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carlos Baleba SINGS a 5-year deal

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We just got £115mill for a player who played 35 league games in his career!

Despite many on here lauding the French league as half decent. The reality is that it's not that great so quite a difference playing 20 games in that league Vs 35 in epl.

(But still Chelsea overpaid ;)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Despite many on here lauding the French league as half decent. The reality is that it's not that great so quite a difference playing 20 games in that league Vs 35 in epl.

Can you tell me what leagues you do actually rate Dwayne? Bearing in mind I watch a lot of the French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues I'd be interested to know your opinion as I believe you're under rating it. The young talent in France is outrageous, French and other nationalities.

As I've said many times on here, it is the league that most closely matches the PL in style and physicality which is why over the years, players from the French league have settled better than from other leagues and why PL sides will always be keen to buy from there. I’d always rather we buy from them - there are a lot of brilliant players in that league.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Positive
This is the point. Signing our targets is quite irrelevant if you don’t have the principles and processes in place to actually develop the talent into a useful player for your first team or sale.

Most of the clubs in the top half have no hope of signing our targets and replicating what we’ve been doing. Let them waste their money.
To be fair, I might exempt City from that. Pep takes a long time to induct players, notably Foden. Grealish featured little in first season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I commented the other day - but quite impressive how Forest only paid out £4M given they signed 20 players or whatever

Considering they spent nearly €200m, that £4m does seem suspiciously low.

A cynical man may look at the reputation of Forest's owner and consider how this might be possible. 🤔

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Positive

To be fair, I might exempt City from that. Pep takes a long time to induct players, notably Foden. Grealish featured little in first season.
Really? Foden as a youngster, sure. But Grealish was thrown right in wasn't he? A check shows that Grealish played 26 times for Citeh in his first season there. The same number of games he played in the previous season for Luxury. And only 2 fewer than his second season at Citeh (last season).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Where do you get the 20 versus 35 from? Are you comparing two different players? If so there are three independent variables: the player, the league and the number of games played. If so I agree you can't learn anything from the information available.

For completeness I note that there are 18 clubs in Ligue 1. During the course of a season, usually from August to May, each club plays the others twice, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 34 games. I note also that in the EPL, there are a total of 19 clubs. During the course of a season, usually from August to May, each club plays the others twice, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 38 games.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can you tell me what leagues you do actually rate Dwayne? Bearing in mind I watch a lot of the French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues I'd be interested to know your opinion as I believe you're under rating it. The young talent in France is outrageous, French and other nationalities.

As I've said many times on here, it is the league that most closely matches the PL in style and physicality which is why over the years, players from the French league have settled better than from other leagues and why PL sides will always be keen to buy from there. I’d always rather we buy from them - there are a lot of brilliant players in that league.
Appreciate, you watch a lot more than me, which is why I enjoy your view on a players ability etc…. But surely the Bundersliga is the closest to the PL? (At least it was always considered that way previously).

Just interested, as I don’t watch any football these days other than our games.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Really? Foden as a youngster, sure. But Grealish was thrown right in wasn't he? A check shows that Grealish played 26 times for Citeh in his first season there. The same number of games he played in the previous season for Luxury. And only 2 fewer than his second season at Citeh (last season).
Nope. Grealish wasn't thrown in. He had to bide his time and learn the Pep way. 26 games for City (presumably some/most of which were sub appearances) isn't a high proportion when they play c70 games in a season. Compare that with the number of games Grealish played last season, and I think you'll take the point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope. Grealish wasn't thrown in. He had to bide his time and learn the Pep way. 26 games for City (presumably some/most of which were sub appearances) isn't a high proportion when they play c70 games in a season. Compare that with the number of games Grealish played last season, and I think you'll take the point.
26 LEAGUE games. 39 in total. Comapred to 28 and 50 last season. Nine more cup games last season. Which is perhaps because Citeh won two cup competitions last season. I call that nothing like easing someone in. I would venture your recollections are being shaped by your chosen narrative ??? :wink:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We just got £115mill for a player who played 35 league games in his career!
He played 45 times in the PL. But don’t let actual facts get in the way when you post on here. :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Where do you get the 20 versus 35 from? Are you comparing two different players? If so there are three independent variables: the player, the league and the number of games played. If so I agree you can't learn anything from the information available.

For completeness I note that there are 18 clubs in Ligue 1. During the course of a season, usually from August to May, each club plays the others twice, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 34 games. I note also that in the EPL, there are a total of 19 clubs. During the course of a season, usually from August to May, each club plays the others twice, once at their home stadium and once at that of their opponents, for a total of 38 games.
Not sure what you're on about !!

Baleba has played 20 games in France

Caicedo 35 in epl. Although I've just checked this and it's 45!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure what you're on about !!

Baleba has played 20 games in France

Caicedo 35 in epl. Although I've just checked this and it's 45!
Yep. Incredibly Baleba has only played one 90 minute game in L1 in his career. Nearly all his appearances have been off the bench or he's been subbed at 60/70 mins.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yep. Incredibly Baleba has only played one 90 minute game in L1 in his career. Nearly all his appearances have been off the bench or he's been subbed at 60/70 mins.
If we do buy Baleba it’s largely for his potential. There is a rumour going round ( yes, I know!) that we are after him and Sambi Lokonga on loan. This would be an ideal scenario, so that there’s not too much expected of Baleba in his first year. Allows him to develop for readiness for the 2024/25 season.
Also covers our European demands for this year.
This is probably all b@locks but I like to be an optimist.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Carlos Baleba is 20 days older than Julio Enciso.

Carlos has made 21 league appearances for Lille, 6 of them starts, Julio has made 22 league appearances for Brighton, 8 of them starts.

Incredibly, both Julio and Carlos have each only played one 90 minute game in a top European league in their career. Nearly all their appearances have been off the bench or subbed at 60/70 mins.

I'm not sure these are stats to base a players valuation on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here