Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Can't see it anywhere, so apologies if this has already been mentioned and I missed it ... Rushworth possibly off to Swansea on loan?
Saw something about it on a Swansea message board, and also apparently his girlfriend has just started following Swansea on Instagram.

Bit tenuous I know, but hey, i've seen worse examples! :lolol:

In my opinion a good move for him, BHA & Swansea if true.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I hadn’t seen this, but sounds perfectly reasonable and would be a good standard for his next step.

Seems the current Swansea number 1 is out until Christmas so he’ll get a chance to stake his claim.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Great move him..real test. It's such a good league, so many games.

Jul 7, 2003
Was rumoured a few days ago but nothing seen yet. Maybe RDZ wants to have a closer look at him on the US tour before deciding?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So what’s next for this young talent?

I have to say Bart was outstanding on Saturday. If Steele does leave do we want Carl warming a bench or does another Championship loan make sense? I don’t want him loaned to a Prem team as that would mean he’s also good enough for us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My view. He's had enough loans. It's time he came to fight for a place. We know the manager isn't shy of giving people opportunities and even if he abandons league keeper rotation, (a big if) he'll almost certainly rotate in the cups.

Sanchez had his chance and took it. At some point Rushworth will have to as well. If you want to be a PL keeper you'll eventually have to displace a very decent no1. Let's see if Rushworth has it in him

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

So what’s next for this young talent?

I have to say Bart was outstanding on Saturday. If Steele does leave do we want Carl warming a bench or does another Championship loan make sense? I don’t want him loaned to a Prem team as that would mean he’s also good enough for us.

Ipswich would make a lot of sense. He would get PL experience, show us what he can do and give us a decision to make the following summer if all goes well.

I assume the Arsenal link is them looking for a number 2 to Raya with Ramsdale being moved on. Steele I guess makes sense in that context. Personally, I hope he stays here as a number 2 to Bart with Beadle and Rushworth loaned out again. There is limited value in them warming the bench and my hunch is they are not the finished article just yet although both are very promising.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My view. He's had enough loans. It's time he came to fight for a place. We know the manager isn't shy of giving people opportunities and even if he abandons league keeper rotation, (a big if) he'll almost certainly rotate in the cups.

Sanchez had his chance and took it. At some point Rushworth will have to as well. If you want to be a PL keeper you'll eventually have to displace a very decent no1. Let's see if Rushworth has it in him
Put yourself Rushworth's shoes (gloves?), though. Would you prefer to go back to your parent club as number 2 - basically waiting for Bart to get injured, suspended or have a series of bad games - or would you prefer a move to a club where you'll be number 1? Also, if Ipswich's interest is genuine, I can see them making a bid for a permanent move, which would be tempting given we've also got Beadle in the pipeline.

All very well saying fight for your place, but that's not easy when actual game time is limited to 6-7 cup games over a 9 month season.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Put yourself Rushworth's shoes (gloves?), though. Would you prefer to go back to your parent club as number 2 - basically waiting for Bart to get injured, suspended or have a series of bad games - or would you prefer a move to a club where you'll be number 1? Also, if Ipswich's interest is genuine, I can see them making a bid for a permanent move, which would be tempting given we've also got Beadle in the pipeline.

All very well saying fight for your place, but that's not easy when actual game time is limited to 6-7 cup games over a 9 month season.

Could be similar to James Trafford going to Burnley in the Summer though; got to be no 1, but in a struggling bottom of the PL team, got exposed by the team structure/personnel, let in a load of goals and eventually replaced as the number 1 - and now heading back to the Championship.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Ultimately it's the clubs decision whether to sell or loan him, not the player's decision. We've got to do what's right for us.

There's every reason to think we will give him significant league football, given the way we've rotated this season

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

But as a club our rotation of goalkeepers set a record this season. Coming back to Brighton and being the 2nd keeper, might not mean warming the bench all season, he could still play a significant number of games, which would give him prem experience to build on.

I think Beadle is someone we rate highly as well, but he's only 19 so has more time to develop and gain experience. I think the deciding factor is mostly likely what happens with Steele.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ipswich would make a lot of sense. He would get PL experience, show us what he can do and give us a decision to make the following summer if all goes well.

I assume the Arsenal link is them looking for a number 2 to Raya with Ramsdale being moved on. Steele I guess makes sense in that context. Personally, I hope he stays here as a number 2 to Bart with Beadle and Rushworth loaned out again. There is limited value in them warming the bench and my hunch is they are not the finished article just yet although both are very promising.
Struggling to see how anyone would disagree with ALL of this. We might sell him though. To do so, the following would need to be the club's view. We've got loads of keepers on our books and there will be an optimal time to sell all of them. If the club reckon Beadle is better (or will be in a year or two), then it's him that should be primed to replace Bart when we sell him for max bucks or compete with him for game time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do we actually know who is further up the food chain - Beadle or Rushworth? There surely isn't room for both here, as only one of them can expect to compete for the #1 jersey here. Unless I suppose Bart has an outstanding season next time, we get an offer we can't refuse and then both come back to fight for their place. But that just means one or both go out on loan for sure next season.

So logically, if Ipswich wanted Rushworth next season, we'd have to say yes wouldn't we? Premier League experience for a club you'd not expect to be operating in quite the same sphere as ourselves.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Could be similar to James Trafford going to Burnley in the Summer though; got to be no 1, but in a struggling bottom of the PL team, got exposed by the team structure/personnel, let in a load of goals and eventually replaced as the number 1 - and now heading back to the Championship.
Always surpised Trafford got dropped. He looked a world beater this season at Amex

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Given this lad’s reported potential, plus the fact he is English, then I don’t believe that Ipswich could afford to buy him, we’d be looking for serious £.
A loan makes sense and he’s ’done’ the Championship. Ipswich play a similar style to us so also a tick there.

I wouldn’t compare him to Trafford either, I said after the Burnley match that his ‘worldie’ performance that day was to save a lot of shots that you’d expect any PL keeper to make, we were wasteful in the final 3rd that day.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Apart from the game at the Amex, obviously, where he gave one of the best opposition GK performances I think I've seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here