Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Career change at 40 - anyone done it, any advice?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
maybe he is banging bored housewifes all day and the word has spread!

Possibly, but he seemed pretty happy with his family in Florida last summer as we were there at the same time so exchanged PMs on tips on what to do at different theme parks.

D

Deleted member 2719

Possibly, but he seemed pretty happy with his family in Florida last summer as we were there at the same time so exchanged PMs on tips on what to do at different theme parks.

You have spoilt my new book now confessions of a Northstand chatter.:moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How did you manage to get building work in the middle of a full blown recession with builders saying there is no work about???

There is a lot of building maintenance work in Brighton. Brighton is full of old buildings which need regular attention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
builders saying there is no work about???

Self employed people always say there is f*** all work about. It makes them fell better about only claiming 10k a year salary.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
There is a lot of building maintenance work in Brighton. Brighton is full of old buildings which need regular attention.

I know a lot of builders and tradesmen, and throughout the downturn, apart from the odd week, they have done ok due to the high volume of house extensions, refurbishments and renovations going on in this wealthy city and county.

With most unable to move home, adding rooms etc, seems to be thing.

Once you've produced good work, neighbours of the customer etc, generate new work.

It's builders who were rigid about solely new house work, that have lost out.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Currently a Distribution Warehouse Manager for a national retail company but am bored with it now. Would love to re train and hopefully do something on my own. Love anything to do with property and antiques but apart from that I need some inspiration.

Property & Antiques easy
Set up an auction house in Brighton.
There are successful ones in Lewes, Worthing & in small in Hove but not near the Lanes/Laine area where the most action is & all the buyers/sellers have to travel to fill up the ones in the other towns

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
How did you manage to get building work in the middle of a full blown recession with builders saying there is no work about???

The builder I know always has constant work, just through word of mouth, no problem - he could do much more than he can handle. In the recession people aren't moving, so doing work on their current house. But then, he does top work, so anyone who's had him, always wants him back

D

Deleted member 2719

Self employed people always say there is f*** all work about. It makes them fell better about only claiming 10k a year salary.

Fair point.

I agree there are some Self employed people who are self employed because they don't want to work, but i have been self employed for 20 years so we are not all like that. :smile:

Mind you on the flip side most employed people think self employed people earn top dollar.

D

Deleted member 2719

The builder I know always has constant work, just through word of mouth, no problem - he could do much more than he can handle. In the recession people aren't moving, so doing work on their current house. But then, he does top work, so anyone who's had him, always wants him back

Fair play to him, i have big respect for a good craftsman, maybe the guys i have spoken to come from the wild west not the south coast.
:smile:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Regarding new careers, when I was made redundant 4 years ago, I really tried to think of anything I could realistically do for myself, but couldn't see how I could start something new and make a living. All plans I cane up with, either needed experience which would take too long to acquire, or startup capital which would be difficult to raise.

After 14 months out of work, I got a job back in IT in the city, but fortutnately I love it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I would guess, as he is on his own so probably does not advertise, through word of mouth being very good at it.

That's exactly that, all my work comes from recommendations.
At one point during last year because I had so much work and did not want to let people down I was working 7 days a week for about 3 months and having to get other in on a sub contract basis.
Paid for my holiday where Beach Hut was at the same time. But we didn't go together :blush:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I changed career at 47 becoming a teacher and again at 53 to move into working with adolescents with learning disabilities. It screwed my savings (especially studying) and reduced my final pension but I am delighted I was able to do it and still retire before my 60th. If you have an ambition then go for it is my advice but plan your expenditure and the impact on future earnings and especially pension. Study is often a good place to start as it develoos knowledge confidence and contacts.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here