Cardiff fan re: Noone

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
Right....

Just to set a few things out, I'm really not here to argue with anyone, I really can't be bothered with any of that stuff as it's completely pointless and gets us nowhere.

Obviously I just wanted to chat with a few of you regarding Craig Noone who as you well know, we are interested in signing. Firstly though, I have to take you to task on something. I've read your thread on Noone throughout the day and in the most part, it's very good reading. I do have to take a huge exception to the thoughts that a move to Cardiff would be a sideways step and as a couple of people have stated, a backwards step???

With all due respect to you guys, you've spent the last few years in League one etc and in that time, we've been to an FA cup semi final AND FINAL, a playoff final and have been a constant in the top 4 of the Championship (although on a couple of occasions we should have done better, thanks Dave Jones). We are currently 4th in the league again and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup (hoping for your support v Palace, we'll try and do you a favour) so I believe that a move from Brighton to Cardiff is actually a step forward. Don't get me wrong, you boys have ambition and that is clear for all to see with your new stadium and signings like Mackail-Smith but that doesn't mean that we're worse than you.

Anyway, onto Noone....
I've seen this boy play a few times last season and I actuLly thought to myself then that he could be one for the future so I was happy to see that we put a bid in for him. Clearly our two clubs have been in dialogue and as it seems, we're further apart than we'd like to be on the price. Malky has stated that he is unsure whether he will go back in for Noone but from what I understand, he wants him and is likely to get him. I believe we offered £500 (I agree, far too little) and your boys want £1m, but we are likely to meet in the middle on £750k and a deal is likely to be agreed.

I've seen some of your views and it seems like he's thought of highly my the majority of Brighton fans which is a good thing, my question to you is (without Brighton blinkers), how far can Craig Noone go? Is he only ever going to be a decent Championship player or could you see him making it at Premiership level?

Anyway, as I say, I come in peace so I'd like to have a decent chat with you guys and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me too?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wow we been in an FA Cup semi-final and final as well - when the competition meant a lot more than than when you did.

Still be careful not to fall off the mountain you look down at us from

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have no idea how far he can go, he's a great player and he can change games, but whether he'd be strong enough and proflific enough to stick in an EPL side I'm not sure, I'll personally be REALLY pissed off if we sell him, as you said you are a forward step, but in my opinion that's just it, a step, not a leap, just a step, which we could take within the next few seasons with some long needed stability.

750k would be a joke to be quite frank, and anything less than a million will make alot of fans unhappy, where can we find someone of Noones quality for 750k? No where.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Bit difficult to say to be honest - I'd say he'll be a decent Championship player (as he is at present). Fear he may be a bit lightweight for the Prem, but that can easily be remedied with some strength training.

I think Elliott Bennett is a better player, more of a physical presence, more powerful, more dangerous and he's doing ok at best...

£850k by the way, but you won't get him til the end of the season if at all.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Noone is very skillful and on his day can be a top Championship player. He began the season brilliantly, but his form has dropped off in recent games and is now injured but he is by no means Prem quality at the moment in my opinion. Maybe in a few years who know as he definitely has potential and was late into the professional game which can only help his chances.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He hasn't got much end product. That's the problem. I think it's a bit of a myth that that kind of thing can be coached.
On form, he beats players for fun, but he is a) unlikely to ever be a 15 goal a season player or b) unlikely to to ever learn to cross properly.

For me, he is massively exciting, but the fact he is nowhere near as polished as the 22 (?) year old Buckley and 20 (?) year old KLL speaks volumes.

I'm fairly convinced he'll never be mre than a good Champ player, and, in all honesty, half a million pounds interest on our investment a year ago seems fairly decent to me.

However, with the KLL injury i'd say there is no chance we'll sell him atm.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We've got No one on the Left wing

With the Kazenga injury, I think we would like to keep Noone as a first team player. Normally, we would not need three left wingers but Vicente is injured as well. And right now Noone is also injured.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
£1m and 25% of next sale has to be the absolute minimum. Bennett going for £1.5m seems a bit cheap, Noone for £500k? Malky must be off his rocker and think Brighton are still some small time, cash strapped club.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
1. At this point in time, Cardiff is a step forward though I would expect us to overtake you next year if you don't make it to the PL this season.
2. Severely doubt Noone would go for £750k unless you are throwing in a player, in which case we will take Whittingham thanks very much. Noone's true value would be £1-1.5m
3. Noone could make it in the PL providing he sorts out his decision making and final ball. He is incredibly good on the ball but has problems on knowing when to release it and quality of crossing.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Selling him to another Championship club is insane. We are not the same club as a few years ago, desperate for cash and willing to sell the best players at knockdown prices. What's the point of planning to spend £38m on extra seats and an academy, then selling one of the best players for £750k? We don't need to sell, we don't have to sell, we don't want to sell!

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
Cheers (for the helpful replies) guys,

I'd say that you can pick up slot of quality these days and you don't have to spend the earth. We've managed to put a whole team together for under £2m so far this season, I guess it's just the certain type of player that you want/need. We are desperate fora player that can get behind defences which is why Malky wants him I believe

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. Completely agree with the OP - Cardiff IS a step up from the Albion currently. They have been knocking on the Premiership door for a year or two now and we are not at that stage yet. But the size of that step up has shrunk dramatically in the last year and I'd like to think we'd be on a par, at the very least, with Cardiff 2 years from now.

But that is still 2 years which is a long time in the career of a footballer.

2. The Prem for Nooney? Not at the moment - needs a lot of work to put a consistent final ball on the end of his amazing jinky runs.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Last time Cardiff were in the top division was 1962? For Brighton it was 1983. I believe we are both sleeping giants starting to wake, but at the moment it would still be a sideways step for Noone.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Good, balanced and reasonable post (some on here could do with a reality check!)

I would think that if Gus was happy for him to go for 750K then he wouldn't rate him as a good bet for the Premiership (our aim during the next couple of year but certainly not a realistic target this year)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wow we been in an FA Cup semi-final and final as well - when the competition meant a lot more than than when you did.

Still be careful not to fall off the mountain you look down at us from

To be fair to the Cardiff fan, their recent history is considerably better than ours and if you want a history lesson, they actually won the cup. If Noone left to join them if anything, it would be a step up. But like the others say, he has no end product so whilst he looks good running past defenders, he doesn't really create anything.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Right....

Just to set a few things out, I'm really not here to argue with anyone, I really can't be bothered with any of that stuff as it's completely pointless and gets us nowhere.

Obviously I just wanted to chat with a few of you regarding Craig Noone who as you well know, we are interested in signing. Firstly though, I have to take you to task on something. I've read your thread on Noone throughout the day and in the most part, it's very good reading. I do have to take a huge exception to the thoughts that a move to Cardiff would be a sideways step and as a couple of people have stated, a backwards step???

With all due respect to you guys, you've spent the last few years in League one etc and in that time, we've been to an FA cup semi final AND FINAL, a playoff final and have been a constant in the top 4 of the Championship (although on a couple of occasions we should have done better, thanks Dave Jones). We are currently 4th in the league again and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup (hoping for your support v Palace, we'll try and do you a favour) so I believe that a move from Brighton to Cardiff is actually a step forward. Don't get me wrong, you boys have ambition and that is clear for all to see with your new stadium and signings like Mackail-Smith but that doesn't mean that we're worse than you.

Anyway, onto Noone....
I've seen this boy play a few times last season and I actuLly thought to myself then that he could be one for the future so I was happy to see that we put a bid in for him. Clearly our two clubs have been in dialogue and as it seems, we're further apart than we'd like to be on the price. Malky has stated that he is unsure whether he will go back in for Noone but from what I understand, he wants him and is likely to get him. I believe we offered £500 (I agree, far too little) and your boys want £1m, but we are likely to meet in the middle on £750k and a deal is likely to be agreed.

I've seen some of your views and it seems like he's thought of highly my the majority of Brighton fans which is a good thing, my question to you is (without Brighton blinkers), how far can Craig Noone go? Is he only ever going to be a decent Championship player or could you see him making it at Premiership level?

Anyway, as I say, I come in peace so I'd like to have a decent chat with you guys and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for me too?

If you new the plans the club had and is investing another £30 million in infrastucture you would realise it is a sideways step.

Cardiff that huge club that used to average 3-4000 with chris pike up front.

Onto Noone, if you pay over the odds I'm sure Gus may be tempted to let him go but I'm sure that would only be the case if he was able to replace him in the window with someone of the same or better quality.

Good luck in the carling cup and hope you reach the final.

Bluebird99

Jan 7, 2012
Regarding the cash + Whitts offer...... On ya bike! Whittingham has been excellent again this season but in all honesty, the biggest plus this season is how our whole team work for each other. You boys played really well when you came to us at the CCS and couldn't have played us at a better time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports