Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff aren't hanging around.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, good for them, bidding £3m for a player that had a £1m buy out clause 3 months ago. Trific bit of business.

Are you criticising them for not signing a Championship player for £1m while still in the Premier League, or are you suggesting that they are offering more than they need to, since 3 months ago there was a 1m buy out clause? If it's the latter I'd remind you 3 months ago Grabban signed a new deal on higher wages, that probably included an increased buy out clause, hence the need to bid 3m now.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Good for them getting the squad together nice and early, getting rid of the dead wood so everyone can have a full pre-season together.

Lets hope the Albion follow suit and we aren't still scratching our balls come the end of August when it comes to signing players.

As we do every season waiting for the end of the bargain bucket rifling a week before the new one starts !!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Lets not start criticizing the club at being 'slow to act' less than 24 hours after our season has ended :lol: I agree if Oscar is going to leave it would be nice to get someone else in soon in preparation for next season but there's no point in rushing into things. Burke will be making most of the signings anyway :ffsparr:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, good for them, bidding £3m for a player that had a £1m buy out clause 3 months ago. Trific bit of business.
It depends how well he does for them, and how much he eventually leaves them for. Given the amount of goals he's scored this season, I think it's us that have missed out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are you criticising them for not signing a Championship player for £1m while still in the Premier League, or are you suggesting that they are offering more than they need to, since 3 months ago there was a 1m buy out clause? If it's the latter I'd remind you 3 months ago Grabban signed a new deal on higher wages, that probably included an increased buy out clause, hence the need to bid 3m now.

I'm suggesting a lack of foresight has cost them £2m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah but they've got OGS as manager, he took Cardiff backwards at a pace. I think they spent about 3 days in the relegation zone when Malky was there and about 3 days out of it when OGS took over. (that may be a slight exaggeration but he has proved VERY uninspiring so far imo)

Will they change him as well?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Most will have clauses in them, Caulker will leave as will a couple of others that did OK in the PL, Mutch for example will attract some interest
Yes probably, although they do have a chairman who could almost certainly be taken for a ride by any savvy agent.

Dec 29, 2011

It was fairly clear they'd be Championship material next season. If they'd planned ahead they could have had Grabban for £1m. Not they've had to fork out £3m. As HKFC says, it's a lack of foresight and more bad planning from Cardiff.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Caulker is being linked with Liverpool. They certainly need defenders, as that's what's cost them the title this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was fairly clear they'd be Championship material next season. If they'd planned ahead they could have had Grabban for £1m. Not they've had to fork out £3m. As HKFC says, it's a lack of foresight and more bad planning from Cardiff.
Not really because in January they looked fairly safe in the Premier so their targets would have been different for next season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really because in January they looked fairly safe in the Premier so their targets would have been different for next season.

How do you define 'fairly safe' exactly?

Because on 29th January, when Grabban was at the Amex discussing terms, Cardiff were BOTTOM of the Premier League.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Bloody hell, that's a lot of hedging right there. The parachute payments may allow them to go on a spending spree, the question though remains; are the wages sustainable? If not, they'll be in trouble. If they don't get promoted, Tan could walk. If he walks, CCFC will collapse.

They're hedging the spending of all that money on the basis they'll be promoted with them. I can only imagine this ending in tears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here