Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff and Swansea

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Should Cardiff (possibly) and Swansea really be taking the places of English teams in the Premier League.? To my mind they are a FIFA designated country in their own right and should be in the Welsh league. These two teams are denying teams like the Albion the chance of competing at the highest level.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Agreed.

Devolution rules.

Down with Britain.

Home rule for England. Let's kick these johnny foreigners out of our lovely league.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If they were part of the Welsh FA I'd tell them to do one. But they're part of the English FA and have been for years. So I'll leave them be.

Sep 28, 2011
If they were part of the Welsh FA I'd tell them to do one. But they're part of the English FA and have been for years. So I'll leave them be.

They're signed up to both I think, I know Cardiff always cry to the welsh fa when they get a blatant red card, who rescind it.

For the millionth time ...

The Football League is called "the Football League" and has never been an English League. It's been home to Cardiff City, Swansea Town/City, Wrexham, Newport County, Merthyr Town and Aberdare Athletic.

Cardiff City and Swansea Town/City both progressed from the Southern League to the Football League. Neither Cardiff nor Swansea have ever played in the Welsh League.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Why do Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish league?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

The Football League is called "the Football League" and has never been an English League. It's been home to Cardiff City, Swansea Town/City, Wrexham, Newport County, Merthyr Town and Aberdare Athletic.

Cardiff City and Swansea Town/City both progressed from the Southern League to the Football League. Neither Cardiff nor Swansea have ever played in the Welsh League.

That is not how Uefa see it though. They see this as the Welsh teams playing in a foreign league on a technicality which is correct.

Pitch Invasion - A Soccer Culture Blog

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011

Millionth time? What the hell is your problem?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
That article barely starts to tell the story. There was a time in the early nineties when Newport County and Colwyn Bay were not allowed to play football in Wales.

It was just a bit of history. However, your point about the league not being an "English League" is not relevent according to the big powers of the game. They are sympathetic however it goes against some basic rules of teams playing in foreign leagues. BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Cardiff City | Uefa offers Cardiff Euro lifeline Remember this story from when Cardiff City were close to reaching the FA cup final

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Should Cardiff (possibly) and Swansea really be taking the places of English teams in the Premier League.? To my mind they are a FIFA designated country in their own right and should be in the Welsh league. These two teams are denying teams like the Albion the chance of competing at the highest level.

If kelvin mackenzie gets his way I guess he would get rid of the northen clubs too. Depends where you draw the line for Southen England but if you cut the country in half I think we would be 16th in the premier league now? If we split up England north of Watford we would be 12th? Would you want this next?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Love the prospect of Cardiff and Swansea being in the Prem together. Bring it on. Rather them than Blackburn, Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Fulham zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc.

It was just a bit of history. However, your point about the league not being an "English League" is not relevent according to the big powers of the game. They are sympathetic however it goes against some basic rules of teams playing in foreign leagues. BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Cardiff City | Uefa offers Cardiff Euro lifeline Remember this story from when Cardiff City were close to reaching the FA cup final
This thread is about the right of clubs based in Wales to progress to the Premier League. The entry rules to UEFA competitions are an entirely different question.

D

Deleted member 18477

Cardiff and Swansea are really as English as most other football league teams. They've worked their way up the leagues! Fair play to them!

D

Deleted member 18477

Love the prospect of Cardiff and Swansea being in the Prem together. Bring it on. Rather them than Blackburn, Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Fulham zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz etc.

This! Zzzzzzzzzz you can add stoke, villa and QPR to that list!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
This thread is about the right of clubs based in Wales to progress to the Premier League. The entry rules to UEFA competitions are an entirely different question.

They are not entirely different at all. Tell that to a team that could finish 5th behind Cardiff City in the League. Teams, should play in their respective league in the country to which they are based. You stating it is not the "English Football League" is an odd one. The FA Logo on their website strangely though, has the England badge as part of the design

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They've always been in this league. Let 'em stay - let's not muck around with things that don't need to be mucked around with.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I think, if they were chucked into the Welsh league, then it'd end up with the welsh league being like the Scottish Premier League (of old) - with only Cardiff & Swansea battling it out and denying other teams the chance to get a place in the champions league/UEFA Cup (albeit in the qualifying rounds).

It ain't broke, so no need to fix it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here