Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Carbon negative products

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve just eaten a Jude’s ice cream that says it is Carbon Negative.

Why doesn’t all governments just mass produce these and job done?

Swimming in ice cream.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Swimming in ice cream.
Cat Internet GIF

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Swimming in ice cream.
Because there are only so many trees you can plant before there is no land left to grow crops for food on.....

And once everyone else has sold you their 'carbon credits' - there will be none left to buy.

However - that's a cynical take on it. So good for them in general.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Because there are only so many trees you can plant before there is no land left to grow crops for food on.....

And once everyone else has sold you their 'carbon credits' - there will be none left to buy.

However - that's a cynical take on it. So good for them in general.
I'm an omnivore, I can live off a diet of vegans and meat once all the the crops have gone

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What do you think the livestock eat?

Hint - 80% of crops grown worldwide are used to feed livestock.
In that case, there's no need to cut back on meat production. Because 9% of crops are used for biofuels and industry, so that means only 11% are used for feeding people. Abolish biofuels, and we have almost doubled crop production for humans. Problem solved with no meat reduction.

Or as an alternative, stop quoting rubbish figures about crop production. The University of Minnesota (link attached) reckons 36% is used for animal feed. Have you a link for your 80%?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s nonsense at moment, there’s no industry standardisation, agreement of terms etc. Personally I’m enjoying a lot of vegan friendly mineral water currently :)

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What do you think the livestock eat?

Hint - 80% of crops grown worldwide are used to feed livestock.
You just made that figure up as you well know. However, the growing of all non meat food for humans requires soil nutrition. This can come from one of two sources: artificial fossil fuel based nitrogen fertilisers that are the single biggest carbon contributor in world agriculture, or livestock manures and proper rotations (legumes that naturally extract nitrogen from the atmosphere and fix it in the soil) and grass, the single biggest carbon sink in the world.
This is why the IPCC stated that livestock farming is ‘part of the solution’ to climate change.
As always, going to the extreme is unhelpful. Intensive livestock farming is not good from a climate or ethical perspective. The same applies to a desire to turn world agriculture vegan.
Balance is required in all areas of agriculture and food production for the sake of animals, humans, and the planet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

“BrewDog Is Officially The First Carbon Negative Beer Business”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Duncan Ferguson : “The earth is warming up isn’t it?”

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I'm going to Glyndebourne in June, and Glyndebourne generates (via its wind turbine) more electricity than it uses (105%). It's also phased out bottled water and uses water from its own spring.

Opera - saving the world one aria at a time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Swimming in ice cream.
No such thing as carbon negative production in the same way there is no such thing as carbon neutral travel - despite what Easyjet and Herr T will tell you.

Reactions: abc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here