Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carabao Cup Fourth Round: Charlton - 3rd allocation of tickets

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I know some don't believe it, but there are a lot of good people at the club who work hard to try and ensure things go well for Albion fans. I count Paul Barber amongst that number.

But, for the love of god, recognise that some people haven't had a great evening and empathise with that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well if this is”just” down to her which I very much doubt then looking forward to the next excuses to the many questions on here
Well her and her team. She’s deemed senior enough to be on stage at the fans forum with Paul & Tony in the summer so I’m guessing she has quite a lot of responsibility herself

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Club statement.
'Late arrivals' - unless the queue hit zero at any point during the collection process, the queue would still have lasted for the same time. So some people would have queued longer.
' Completely out of our control'. Cup draw to T1 sale - 18 days (ok, blame Charlton for most of that).
Purchase to posting - 9 days. Whose fault is that?
Purchase to posting cold easily be Charlton not supplying the tickets quickly as the extra blocks were released
The 18 days to put the first tranche on sale was ridiculous however

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because Charlton is the gig venue mentioned and needs to be able to issue / read that barcode. I also suspect there’s an issue whereby if someone is duplicated / easily passed on to multiple people then it causes issues at the gates when people are denied entry because it’s already been used
But this isn’t an issue with gigs. I can log on, or visit, a third party supplier and buy a bar coded ticket for numerous venues large and small…as I and many others on this site have no doubt done. And the issue you raise regarding multiple people doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue for gigs, nor for home tickets for that matter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But this isn’t an issue with gigs. I can log on, or visit, a third party supplier and buy a bar coded ticket for numerous venues large and small…as I and many others on this site have no doubt done. And the issue you raise regarding multiple people doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue for gigs, nor for home tickets for that matter.
In principle it’s fine - as long as all clubs have some system whereby it can import barcode / QR from third party and validate at the gate. But it’d need buy in from everyone from Man City to Harrogate & Gillingham.

It happens quite a lot in certain sectors - popular festivals etc, and fine if you have security to deal with it, but unfortunately football fans - away fans in particular can be difficult so can see why it’s another ‘risk’ to remove

Uboat

Nov 11, 2022
This was a perfect storm, made worse by bad planning and decision making. The infrastructure at Charlton has been decimated by the owner’s cost cutting and there is now very little experience or expertise at the club. Add to that a lack of urgency and foresight on the Brighton side and predictably the supporters paid the price.
There were hundreds of Charlton fans with tickets still queuing to get in past 8pm. My family and I got in 12 minutes late and we only got in then because a steward came to the back of the queue and told us we could use the wrong turnstiles. Given that they couldn’t cope with a few thousand extra fans with tickets, it’s no wonder that it went wrong with Brighton fans needing to get tickets.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
As much as we’ve moved on from the 70’s and 80’s football fans will never be trusted unfortunately

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Just absolutely woeful from Charlton and the Met Police. So many staff not doing anything. Four staff in mobile ticket office getting abuse and being worked off their feet.
No organisation.
No dynamic risk assessment.
No one taking responsibility.
Got very lucky here went to main ticket office with virtually no queue ,more through ignorant luck than judgement. Even there they had not much of a clue .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If I’m understanding this correctly are you saying that football fans should be trusted to be allowed the possibility of printing out several copies of the same ticket ?
No

It’s quite easy to validate an email account owner and also not complex in setting the email and attachments to not be forwarded.

Football fan shouldn’t be treated any differently from other events / sports but there’s an unconscious bias based on the past eras that will never go away

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No

It’s quite easy to validate an email account owner and also not complex in setting the email and attachments to not be forwarded.

Football fan shouldn’t be treated any differently from other events / sports but there’s an unconscious bias based on the past eras that will never go away
Ok, so please explain how football fans are being treated differently. Genuine question as I don’t understand the the last few pages of this thread.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I know some don't believe it, but there are a lot of good people at the club who work hard to try and ensure things go well for Albion fans. I count Paul Barber amongst that number.

But, for the love of god, recognise that some people haven't had a great evening and empathise with that.
Of course we appreciate the many good people at the club. The statement was very poor and will not make anybody caught up in that fiasco last night feel any better. If same circumstances cropped up again there is no doubt there would have to be assurance that it would be dealt with differently otherwise very few would turn up. I have spent years apologising to valued clients when something has gone wrong even if out of our control. This is not PBs way . He is black and white that club is run perfectly and anything that goes wrong is not there fault. As I have said before many problems with travel to Amex and all we hear is nothing to do with them instead of saying they will talk to all parties involved to try and improve service. How nice it would be to hear an apology and they are going to look into last night because they agree supporters should not have to put up with that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ok, so please explain how football fans are being treated differently. Genuine question as I don’t understand the the last few pages of this thread.
For gigs, festivals etc - historically you would get given a e-ticket with a QR code or similar. There is a huge fraud problem with people selling the same ticket multiple times, so much so a lot of sites are putting in security measures such as only releasing the tickets 24 hours before a gig or using horrible proprietary software meaning you can’t extract the code at all so the ticket cannot be passed on at all.

I guess the problem could be if Palace or Leeds sell out, QR / barcodes are shared around you get problems at the turnstiles

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For gigs, festivals etc - historically you would get given a e-ticket with a QR code or similar. There is a huge fraud problem with people selling the same ticket multiple times, so much so a lot of sites are putting in security measures such as only releasing the tickets 24 hours before a gig or using horrible proprietary software meaning you can’t extract the code at all so the ticket cannot be passed on at all.

I guess the problem could be if Palace or Leeds sell out, QR / barcodes are shared around you get problems at the turnstiles
Thank you. That sounds like there is the same problem at gigs then. So football fans not being treated any differently. The problem exists whether it’s sold out or not but clearly the safety problem ratchets higher if it is sold out…like last night.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thank you. That sounds like there is the same problem at gigs then. So football fans not being treated any differently. The problem exists whether it’s sold out or not but clearly the safety problem ratchets higher if it is sold out…like last night.
I think the difference is the herd / tribal mentality at football compared to a gig.

If someone in front of me at a gig has a fake ticket I don’t care. If an away fan has trouble, you can bet all the fans behind them will do what they can to get them in

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course we appreciate the many good people at the club. The statement was very poor and will not make anybody caught up in that fiasco last night feel any better. If same circumstances cropped up again there is no doubt there would have to be assurance that it would be dealt with differently otherwise very few would turn up. I have spent years apologising to valued clients when something has gone wrong even if out of our control. This is not PBs way . He is black and white that club is run perfectly and anything that goes wrong is not there fault. As I have said before many problems with travel to Amex and all we hear is nothing to do with them instead of saying they will talk to all parties involved to try and improve service. How nice it would be to hear an apology and they are going to look into last night because they agree supporters should not have to put up with that.
You may do, but a fair few folk seem to think the club intentionally operate aggressive anti-fan policies across the board.

As for the rest - as I've said two or three times already, that statement is very poor indeed and shows no empathy at all with those caught up in last night's shambles (to use the club's language) "as a result of circumstances which were completely out of their control".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the difference is the herd / tribal mentality at football compared to a gig.

If someone in front of me at a gig has a fake ticket I don’t care. If an away fan has trouble, you can bet all the fans behind them will do what they can to get them in
But you would care if those fake tickets caused overcrowding, crushing and deaths.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No

I work in IT; please explain to me how to stop on email or attachment being forwarded. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here