Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
5 minute job

gifaton-galicia.gif

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I don’t know where you got that, but I’m not aware of any protest planned. The owner is trying to sell, so there’s no point. There is no boycott or stay away protest. The reason sales are so low is because of years of terrible football, combined with disaffection at the way the club is run.

I have to disagree about there being no boycott unless you mean one that's specific to this game. There very much is a long-term boycott in progress. If you attend games maybe you only know other attendees (echo chamber style) but there are thousands of Addicks who continue to actively boycott the Valley as they don't want to support toxic ownership. It's not an officially organised boycott but is all the more powerful because of that and has been going for years.

I stopped going to home games in 2015 because of Roland Duchatelet and Katrien Meire (after having had a season ticket for nearly 20 years) and haven't set foot in The Valley since. The same goes for all but one of the people I met through attending games (one of whom actually lives in Floyd Road yards from the stadium). Most of the various Charlton fans I know to talk to in Brighton pubs have also said they are staying away long term until we get decent ownership.

I'd hazard a guess that there are around 5,000 people who are traditionally regular or semi-regular attendees that are still boycotting the Valley as a result of the chain of toxic owners kickstarted by Duchatelet. I can't speak for the others regarding what it might take for them to return (given that Guitar Boy's ownership looks like ending quite soon). From my perspective, given the false dawns of three toxic owners in a row, I'm inclined to wait until we have been properly run by someone for a full year before I start attending games in SE7 again.

I do think that an ongoing (perhaps slightly invisible as it has been going on for so long) boycott is permanently nerfing our home attendances (the real ones rather than the inflated fictional ones) by several thousand. Without it I don't think we'd be at serious risk of being outnumbered by Albion fans on Wednesday.

I'd be going if the game was at the Amex btw, even though the main point of my boycott is to not 'put money in the pocket' (ie offset some of the losses) of a toxic owner. (Since each club gets 45% of the profits in the league cup, Sandgaard would likely make more if the game was in Brighton.) Partly I think the very idea of attending The Valley is anathema to me on a symbolic level at present.

PS Several of my Charlton mates now follow Dulwich Hamlet home and away instead and I'm not sure they'll return to The Valley at all. The damage to our support base initiated by the Duchatelet Era is likely to last a very long time imho.

[Sorry to interrupt this board with a Charlton-specific rant, but I thought it worth pointing out that there is an ongoing long term autonomous boycott affecting our attendances by some margin.]

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Where are the better pubs for this game? We were thinking of having a few beers somewhere near London Bridge but just wondered if there were any decent ones nearer that people are heading to?

Charlton is dogshit for pubs. Always was and I'm reliably informed it's way worse now as half of them have closed down and the rest are home only. The designated away pub is a 15 minute walk from the ground and not worth the shoe leather.

London Bridge is a good option. I generally think the best option for away fans is Greenwich though - there are a few decent pubs on the side roads south of the station (eg Richard 1st, Morden Arms, Prince Of Greenwich), one of those Belushis things (full of screaming backpackers) at the station itself if you're young enough not to feel like everyone in there's dad, plus various pubs including a Wetherspoons in the centre of Greenwich which is a couple of minutes walk east of the station.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Where are the better pubs for this game? We were thinking of having a few beers somewhere near London Bridge but just wondered if there were any decent ones nearer that people are heading to?
I've always got off at Blackheath and had a drink round there. The Station pub is where I went last time but heading to Zero Degrees brewery this time

scooter1

How soon is now?
Our postman turned up just before mid-day with a card, a bill and a package - no tickets. I asked him about going to the sorting office, and he advised against it as the backlog down there is huge(Hove main depot). Against his advice I went anyway. The guy there was really helpful and fetched my post - 1 card, 1 statement. He said that is all that has been processed. SS advised my tickets were posted first class on Dec 9th. I presume that means that no post has been sorted in the last 11 days.
In addition the postman confirmed that they were only really processing recorded/tracked and parcels, as these were the revenue generators for Royal Mail

Ho hum......

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I suspect there has been a delay between purchase and posting out which, if that is the case, will need some explaining.
I don't think they're ever posted out immediately on purchase. For away games I guess the tickets come from the away club and allocation changes during the purchase process as new blocks are opened up once others have been sold.

My order was placed 29 November and posted to me on 13 December - received today.

Lawros Lip

Sep 16, 2020
That’s probably true but even without the postal strike, given the Christmas timing, just following the normal procedure seems to have been unwise.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I do worry how some NSCers get on in life - hard to see how badly people panic and worry 🤣

If they’re not there just pop on chat tomo and get them from the ground - not worth the weeks of worrying on this thread guys 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here