Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Carabao Cup Final

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Are you sure? That’s not the way the discussions were going post ET

You had made me doubt myself, but yeah - here's the relevant part of the Law of the Game:

IFAB said:
With the exception of a substitute for an injured goalkeeper, only players
who are on the field of play or are temporarily off the field of play (injury,
adjusting equipment etc.) at the end of the match are eligible to take kicks

I think from what I heard the commentators saying, was that Arrizabalaga should have come off when he was ordered to earlier on, rather than after the whistle had blown.

There's nothing in the rules to say the manager has precedent over the players. If there's mutiny, the team has to sort it out themselves. Or the ref abandons the game, which is obviously unlikely to happen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just looked up the law. Ref was right to continue. A player cannot be forced to leave play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You had made me doubt myself, but yeah - here's the relevant part of the Law of the Game:

But that law contradicts what you say ("If the keeper is injured, one of the outfield players must stand in for the shootout."). It says 'With the exception of a substitute for an injured goalkeeper,' clearly saying that, yes, a keeper can be substituted during a shoot out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As I said, a Pointless question. See who remembers next year.

But if you enjoyed the game, good for you. It was reminiscent of the Harlem Globe Trotters. "Thank you Dublin". "Err, its London town".

Quite literally, naff all to do with Manchester. Or West London. Soccerball indeed.

The Sky commentator was waxing lyrical about the match as it finished. It was a wonderful 0-0 don't you know.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Wow. Anyone recall any of our players ruling the roost and refusing to come off?

Why didn't Sari make him come off? Why did he opt to storm off down tunnel, rather than player? How can he be an effective manager from now on - players have the nod. Incredible.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As I said, a Pointless question. See who remembers next year.

But if you enjoyed the game, good for you. It was reminiscent of the Harlem Globe Trotters. "Thank you Dublin". "Err, its London town".

Quite literally, naff all to do with Manchester. Or West London. Soccerball indeed.

2 Londoners in Chelsea's side. Kompany is basically a Manc now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here