Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Car Valuations

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Apologies for borrowing the thread:

Thanks. I test drove a Cooper a couple of weeks ago, but I'd like a bit more power. I've got a Cooper S test drive booked (both 3 door). If money were no object I'd like the Clubman JCW which I test drove last year (4wd, >300 bhp).

You said to the OP that you'd save money and get an S instead of the JCW, but you describe the JCW as an absolute go kart, so you must feel it's quite different to the S?

Yea I think it’s just me now getting a little older, and being more conservative with my own spending why I recommended that.

If the difference in spending between the S and JCW was fully manageable, then yes the JCW will be more fun.
Acceleration is a lot quicker, and I don’t think there’s a more fun car to drive.
However, I do think you’d get 90% of the fun from the Cooper S.

Having owned and driven a load of different cars, smaller hatchbacks are my favourite.
Have you considered a Golf GTI?
Relatively similar power, a smidge larger, the 5 door is more convenient, looks are great, very very tuneable (from very high standard and low cost tuning companies - if more HP & Torque were your thing).

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Bear in mind, this is my wife we are talking about. She wants a black car and it's black. What else is there to think about?

From a personal perspective, I used to drive a Clio sport and it's the best car I've ever had. I like the idea of having a go in it every now and again as a counter to the functional family wagon.

Buy a Golf or Golf GTI if you want some more power closer to the JCW.
Much more reliable, lower cost, better ride for longer trips.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yea I think it’s just me now getting a little older, and being more conservative with my own spending why I recommended that.

If the difference in spending between the S and JCW was fully manageable, then yes the JCW will be more fun.
Acceleration is a lot quicker, and I don’t think there’s a more fun car to drive.
However, I do think you’d get 90% of the fun from the Cooper S.

Having owned and driven a load of different cars, smaller hatchbacks are my favourite.
Have you considered a Golf GTI?
Relatively similar power, a smidge larger, the 5 door is more convenient, looks are great, very very tuneable (from very high standard and low cost tuning companies - if more HP & Torque were your thing).
Not the Golf, it's bigger and more expensive than I need, but I've test driven the Polo GTI, which is as big as an old Golf, and bigger than the really old Golfs. It was quick enough and gripped well, although it was comfortable at the expense of fun (which is a fair compromise). I also tested an i20N which is a great little car (I need to go for another test as the traffic was horrendous).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buy a Golf or Golf GTI if you want some more power closer to the JCW.
Much more reliable, lower cost, better ride for longer trips.
Volkswagen hasn't done so well on recent reliability surveys, while Mini has improved a lot I think.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Not the Golf, it's bigger and more expensive than I need, but I've test driven the Polo GTI, which is as big as an old Golf, and bigger than the really old Golfs. It was quick enough and gripped well, although it was comfortable at the expense of fun (which is a fair compromise). I also tested an i20N which is a great little car (I need to go for another test as the traffic was horrendous).

Polo GTI would be a great shout. Sadly we don’t have them here.
My GTI was a MK5 which I believe to be the best compromise of fun and reliability. Likely a similar size to the Polos.

I’d buy a modern Polo GTI if they had them here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Keeping up my love of Italian cars, have you test driven a Fiat 500 Abarth 695? I haven’t but it sounds a hoot

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Keeping up my love of Italian cars, have you test driven a Fiat 500 Abarth 695? I haven’t but it sounds a hoot
Sorry, no. They're cute and overpriced, so owned by wealthy mums.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, no. They're cute and overpriced, so owned by wealthy mums.
Wealthy mums buy cars that do 143, handle like a go kart and accelerate to 60 in 5.9 secs? Good on them I say!

I thought you were looking for a fun car? Steer clear of most German cars then, they may be quick but fun? Nah :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wealthy mums buy cars that do 143 and accelerate to 60 in 5.9 secs? Good on them I say!

I thought you were looking for a fun car? Steer clear of most German cars then, they may be quick but fun? Nah :smile:
I was referring to the 500 rather than the mental Abarth. I've driven that on Forza and that's enough for me :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here