Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car towed at Fratton Park the other week

Apr 12, 2011
Hi all,

As the thread title suggests, my car was towed by a well know private clamping company Whites who operate in the Fratton Park stadium car park, during the Pompey game, simply for failing to display the ticket in my window, despite having paid the £10 to the steward on the barrier in order to gain access.

I was denied access to my car until the Monday morning, as they had removed it to a secure compound in Southampton which was closed over the weekend.

It ended up costing me £636 to have my car returned to me, an extortionate amount for what it was.

So why am I posting this on here? Well my story was featured in a news article in the local press in Portsmouth which suggested that I was not the only Brighton fan to suffer this fate that afternoon. One of the stewards in the car park also said something to that effect, suggesting that several cars had been towed.

I'm looking to see whether or not this was the case, and whether or not on the off chance, any of the affected parties post on here, or perhaps are known to someone who posts on here?

I have been taking some brilliant advice from the motorist advice forum Pepipoo, including from a couple of our fellow fans, at least one of whom I know also posts on here. Perhaps if one of you guys sees this, you could post the relevant links for me, NSC tells me that due to my measly post count, I can't do this.

I am looking to take this all the way to court if necessary, these people are such rogues it is untrue. So if you are someone who's been affected, post back or PM me. And if you know someone who has been, send them in this direction.

Otherwise, although I am led to believe that since the article was published in the paper the Whites clamping signs have now been removed by the land owners, take my experience as a warning, especially at Fratton Park in the future. I'd hate anyone else to suffer the same annoyance.

Zeff

Jun 1, 2009
Southwick
That's an outrageous story.

I parked in Blackpool many years ago, and it turns out the car park, was actually two car parks, however nothing indicated this fact. I purchased a ticket from a machine that was in sight and displayed my ticket, so was shocked when I returned to see a clamp on my car. They said I'd got the ticket from the wrong machine to be parked where I was, and should have been parked on the other side of the metal chain, less then 5 metres away :censored:

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Just bumping this, if anyone knows of any other Brighton fans who's cars were towed or clamped at the Portsmouth game get them to register on the Pepipoo website, there is a better than even chance they can get all their money back with the right advice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am looking to take this all the way to court if necessary, these people are such rogues it is untrue. .

I hope that you do take it to court and win. I was reading ina paper this weekend that the paper did a survey of 1000 people of the laws that they wanted changed and 79% said the tightening up of laws to prevent cowboy clamping firms. 45% squash the no smoking in pubs law and also allowing 24 hour drinking.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I understand your annoyance but it is basic practise to display your ticket where ever you are parked,however the charge is well out of order.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I understand your annoyance but it is basic practise to display your ticket where ever you are parked,however the charge is well out of order.

My ticket flipped over when I slammed the door shut. I got a ticket from the council. Appealed and won.

The ticket stated 'Please place on the dashboard', but it did not stipulate which way up. I guess non-adhesive tickets are less expensive!

Good luck with the case browneggsandham!

Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for all the messages of support!
At least the law is due a change, I believe it's scheduled to come into effect November time.
I understand that it's common practice to display a ticket in an open public car park with a machine, otherwise there is no way of showing that you've paid.
But in this situation where you've handed cash to a human being, and been granted access via a barrier, there being no other way of having gained access, it did not seem so necessary. If I hadn't have paid, I wouldn't have made it as far as the car park anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hi all,

As the thread title suggests, my car was towed by a well know private clamping company Whites who operate in the Fratton Park stadium car park, during the Pompey game, simply for failing to display the ticket in my window, despite having paid the £10 to the steward on the barrier in order to gain access.

I was denied access to my car until the Monday morning, as they had removed it to a secure compound in Southampton which was closed over the weekend.

It ended up costing me £636 to have my car returned to me, an extortionate amount for what it was.

So why am I posting this on here? Well my story was featured in a news article in the local press in Portsmouth which suggested that I was not the only Brighton fan to suffer this fate that afternoon. One of the stewards in the car park also said something to that effect, suggesting that several cars had been towed.

I'm looking to see whether or not this was the case, and whether or not on the off chance, any of the affected parties post on here, or perhaps are known to someone who posts on here?

I have been taking some brilliant advice from the motorist advice forum Pepipoo, including from a couple of our fellow fans, at least one of whom I know also posts on here. Perhaps if one of you guys sees this, you could post the relevant links for me, NSC tells me that due to my measly post count, I can't do this.

I am looking to take this all the way to court if necessary, these people are such rogues it is untrue. So if you are someone who's been affected, post back or PM me. And if you know someone who has been, send them in this direction.

Otherwise, although I am led to believe that since the article was published in the paper the Whites clamping signs have now been removed by the land owners, take my experience as a warning, especially at Fratton Park in the future. I'd hate anyone else to suffer the same annoyance.

The links you've mentioned are here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3448307

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=64047

Good luck with the fight. Mr White seems to be a particularly nasty piece of work who deserved his recent kicking !

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I thought the government was going to put an end to these type of companies.These private companies are the scum of the earth just like the people who run them. I hope you make these bastards pay.

Its not just these parking companies, there seems to be thousands of other companies out there these days that will do anything they can to rip us off.

I am currently trying to find out from a well known bank how a company from India managed to call me and have all my mothers mortgage details to hand.

Since there is absolutely nothing online about her or her mortgage, it seems to me they have been selling of her details to third party companies. I wonder how many other details they have passed.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Good luck with your fiight against these scumbags. Clamping & towing is nothing short of legalised extortion.

Locally, one of the biggest traps where people get caught is Eastgate Wharf in Lewes. Parking bays, no yellow lines & poorly positioned signs lure people into thinking its okay to park there. The apes are waiting to pounce & then charge £125 for the release of your vehicle. How are they allowed to clamp on what appears to be a public road?

Because for about 50 metres or so, the road is actually private! No sign to say its private. Who owns the land? An outfit called 'Cheval Properties' who have 'connections' to 'Rees Elliott', the locally based property development company run by Martin Elliot - The same person who done such a fine job of running Lewes FC into the ground.

Obviously has the community at heart?

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Good luck with your fiight against these scumbags. Clamping & towing is nothing short of legalised extortion.

Locally, one of the biggest traps where people get caught is Eastgate Wharf in Lewes. Parking bays, no yellow lines & poorly positioned signs lure people into thinking its okay to park there. The apes are waiting to pounce & then charge £125 for the release of your vehicle. How are they allowed to clamp on what appears to be a public road?

Because for about 50 metres or so, the road is actually private! No sign to say its private. Who owns the land? An outfit called 'Cheval Properties' who have 'connections' to 'Rees Elliott', the locally based property development company run by Martin Elliot - The same person who done such a fine job of running Lewes FC into the ground.

Obviously has the community at heart?

No signs means they are on extremely dodgy ground by clamping there. If you know anyone who has been done there, I would encourage them to sue the people who hired the clampers (sueing clampers is a waste of time, they just ignore the CCJs and they have no seizable assets) - they'd probably win.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As this is an issue that doesn't really impact on Portsmouth themselves why not ask if the club would consider a two day message on the website or a small ad in the programme, it sounds to me like others are involved and collectively you may get some answers?

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
It does impact on Portsmouth, if they were responsible for hiring the clamping/towing company. They would be jointly liable. In fact, it is looking like Gaydamak at the moment.

I'm confident that browneggs will get a result here, but we were wondering if anyone on here knew of any other Seagulls who had similar treatment at that game - in which case we could help them too. Hence posting on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here