Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car service and mot?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Well actually yes I do. I have a stamp that says home service with my name and telephone number. I keep receipts of everything I buy and keep a record of it. How do you know that a garage does half the stuff they say they have? I used to take an old ford focus to a garage years back (I won't say which one). I had a full service paid for and everything, itomised receipt etc. After about 3 weeks the car wasn't driving too well, I dont remember what was up. However, my father in law was visiting from Ireland and he checked everything, took out the sparks to check them and guess what? Old as anything, been in there for at least 20k miles! I went back to the garage and they said they must have 'forgotten' to change them.

So really if I do the service myself, I have receipts for everything, I'm hardly not going to put in the stuff I buy for the car. IMO its better proof than a garage. Not to mention the money I save.

Fair point. I can quite believe garages dont complete jobs properly. Unfortunately servicing has to be done and is pretty expensive for the privilege. You obviously know what you are doing though whereas if I tried it would be a complete balls up.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A couple of hundred for the Saab's I've had but I recently downgraded to a fiesta and not had it done yet.
As for doing it myself, I could but I'd rather do a bit of overtime doing what I'm good at and pay someone else to get cold and dirty.
I've used Bourne Motors in Eastbourne for about 10 years and would recommend them.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Car not old enough to need a MOT, and I don't pay for servicing as its a motability lease car :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Fair point. I can quite believe garages dont complete jobs properly. Unfortunately servicing has to be done and is pretty expensive for the privilege. You obviously know what you are doing though whereas if I tried it would be a complete balls up.

LOL! I'm sure it wouldn't. My father in law taught me to do basic car stuff. Servicing, break pads, you know, stuff that goes day to day. I still take my car to a garage for some things. I've used the garage that someone mentioned on here in Arundel mews before and they've never let me down.
Start by watching a video on you tube or by googling your car and oil service. Then just start by doing an oil change and filter by yourself. You'd be suprised how easy it is. Then from there you get a bit of confidence and can attempt other things. It helps if you watch someone do it first.
I mean if you have a really really expensive car and if you have a manufacturers service history, and your car's value would drop 1000's without one then fair enough, the economics mean go to the garage. But for most people, I think its a good option and a big money saver with peace of mind too. Give it a try, I'm sure you could do it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Where do you take yours and how much dos it cost you?

Minor or major service? Vauxhall Agila or a Mercedes SL? Peace of mind against cost? etc etc

MOT's should cost the same everywhere but don't. Maybe the cheaper garages are 'hunting' for work, maybe not.

Trustworthy place I have used for years is Perkins and Robins in Shoreham, for both mine and the wifes cars. Very happy for them to do the MOT's, minor servicing on both cars, major on the wifes Honda when out of warranty. But I will keep the major one on my car in the franchised dealers clutches, luckily only needs this about every 3 or 4 years!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
LOL! I'm sure it wouldn't. My father in law taught me to do basic car stuff. Servicing, break pads, you know, stuff that goes day to day. I still take my car to a garage for some things. I've used the garage that someone mentioned on here in Arundel mews before and they've never let me down.
Start by watching a video on you tube or by googling your car and oil service. Then just start by doing an oil change and filter by yourself. You'd be suprised how easy it is. Then from there you get a bit of confidence and can attempt other things. It helps if you watch someone do it first.
I mean if you have a really really expensive car and if you have a manufacturers service history, and your car's value would drop 1000's without one then fair enough, the economics mean go to the garage. But for most people, I think its a good option and a big money saver with peace of mind too. Give it a try, I'm sure you could do it.

A mate of mine does his own as refuses to pay for someone to do what he says are quite simple tasks. Perhaps I will watch him at some point. Thanks for the tips though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The requirements of each service vary enormously eg blake fluid change is far less frequent.
If not in the service or handbook book, get a printout of the bits needed at the forthcoming service from the main dealer in a quote.

Then don't use them, and get a price for that list, from one of the independents mentioned here.

The savings should be big.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here